Cataract 2011/12

Jimmy2Legs

Reaction score
Looks like fun out there! Would Cataract be a good place to take my wife for her first ride? Mostly looking for some fairly easy trails, not looking to get too crazy. I also need to break in the new summit and thought it would be a good opportunity. Thanks.

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Lot's of good beginner riding at Etherington. Trails down low are easy to navigate and there's a wide open field just west of the staging area where she can get her practice and controls in. Taught my wife there a couple years ago and then took her on the trail system. She loved it. Etherington is the first staging area south off Highway 40 and is about 7 clicks down I think. There's some fire pits just on the north side of that open field so take some stuff for a lunch break and she'll love it. Cataract creek staging area is another 6 clicks down the road and goes right into the trail system. Both are linked so you can take some pretty easy trails from one to the other and the signs are up at the trail heads so they're nicely marked.

Jimmy2Legs

Reaction score
Thanks GasCan!! That's awesome, sounds like a great a spot. Hopefully we can get out there sometime this week.

Happy Holidays!

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Perfect spot to teach and learn at.Nothing too scary there,just lots of fun and lots of spots to get nice views from too.

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we did the southern trail system with the wives today. had a great time. mild temps and great snow coverage. not lots of fresh snow, but stopped for smokies around a campfire and it was a hit with everyone.

Attachments

• IMG_2189.jpg
    IMG_2189.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_2182.jpg
    IMG_2182.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 231

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone know whether the warm up shack at Etherington is unlocked? I'm hoping now that the gates are unlocked that the shack is as well. I was out there 'bout 3 weeks ago and it was locked. I've never seen it locked before.

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the gate from the parking lot towards the warm up shack/first field was still locked last weekend, no idea if they changed that over the past couple days. the next couple were open though... i have seen that first one locked lots in past years too, not sure what has to happen for them to open it.

firecatab

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone know why they quit grooming this area? It used to be nice to go for a family ride on a smooth trail and from what I hear is last year it was terrible

birdman1

Reaction score
The grooming was done by a government parks employee. He was transfered to the Sheep area to groom the cross country ski trails

heikki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As I understand it the groomer they were using had to be towed from Kananaskis village(grooming the CC ski trails) then east to hwy 22 and all the way to and past longview to the forestry road......it takes the long way around because of the road closure on HWY 40 and it costs big money to use and transport it

and even in the richest province in Canada...the Province wont/cant donate enough funds.....

I personally felt last year was actually much better than was expected......it amazes me how wide the trails eventually get as riders search for a smoother line....this was helped by good snow fall from last year though...

Last edited:

Hirmkin

Reaction score
I was there today had a great ride with kids. The trails are still in good shape BUT THERE WAS SOME ###HOLE TODAY THAT HAD TO STOP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE TRAIL THEN PIN IT!!!!! not just one time but several times on one trail. Every time I came across a mount of snow, I would hammer on the brakes in hopes to flatten it out. What's the point of this are they cooool that he or she can spin their track. I hope it snows harder then it did today before Fridays ride. We sure miss the Groomer.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As I understand it the groomer they were using had to be towed from Kananaskis village(grooming the CC ski trails) then east to hwy 22 and all the way to and past longview to the forestry road......it takes the long way around because of the road closure on HWY 40 and it costs big money to use and transport it

and even in the richest province in Canada...the Province wont/cant donate enough funds.....

I personally felt last year was actually much better than was expected......it amazes me how wide the trails eventually get as riders search for a smoother line....this was helped by good snow fall from last year though...

it got taken away from the area because the government thought there wasnt enough people using the area (not enough people buying trail passes) and they figured there was more skiers that could use it

Nitrobkr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am gonna head out there on Friday with the missus. I have never been to cataract before is there somewhere to buy passes for the year? We will probably be heading out there lots now that we moved to strathmore and it's just so close.

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buy a Calgary Snowmobile club season's pass....That covers it.There is no trail fee's for this area.

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Took my family out yesturday with member Plattler and his family.Snow gets much better to the south.Just a skiff of new snow at Etherington parking lot and about an inch further south.Snowed of and on all afternoon.Trails are still in decent shape,not too rough yet.Our wifes and kids had a good time.Great base,just need a couple of big dumps and it will be awesome.

Last edited:

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
went over the pass yesterday, and finally took the time to take a couple pics of trail on the way. this is a typical snow pack of the route, it never really gets much better than this. when you get over the divide and into BC it gets better, but i thought i would share these for anybody who has never been. its not a pretty ride over.

**note - this is the trail that takes you over the divide and into BC. If you stay on the trails on the AB side, the coverage is great and you will not see any open creeks!**

Attachments

• IMG_2198.jpg
    IMG_2198.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_2199.jpg
    IMG_2199.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_2202.jpg
    IMG_2202.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_2203.jpg
    IMG_2203.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_2205.jpg
    IMG_2205.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_2216.jpg
    IMG_2216.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_2252.jpg
    IMG_2252.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_2254.jpg
    IMG_2254.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:

2uppolaris

Reaction score
Hello. Anyone feel like showing a newbie around Cataract this sunday? We plan on being there for 11am. We have a 2up 550 Polaris. I was hoping to head out with Joel from the Calgary club but he is away... Thanks!!

Top Bottom