Catalyst Cat Chassis

M1ryguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
all that is well and good but i'm referring to the supposed performance increases and not the ease of manufacture, less maintenance, etc as the reason guys want these and was the reason i almost bought a tki set up some years back but then i did the research. i'm simply saying that spending a grand plus on an aftermarket belt drive especially on a surface as variable as snow, is money poorly spent if looking for performance increase. you can save money and get actual acceleration improvement by changing the tooth count on whichever sprocket of the chain drive.
if the sled has a factory BD then great and i'd own one but i'd be realistic about the company's claims.
Money poorly spent and saving money? This is sledding lol but seriously there has to be some gain to losing all that weight and only having to turn a 1/4 or less of that weight with a belt drive, I sure noticed it on my sled. Maybe each sled chassis responds a bit different to the belt drive but on my 1000lb Yamaha it helped, it spools up just a little bit quicker down low and the weight was noticeable on the right side. Two years and the belt still looks brand new and this is on a sled with substantial more power than a little 850. Money well wasted to me.

Attachments

• 0ED41A0A-BBBB-4B75-A4A9-C3AD206514D7.jpeg
    0ED41A0A-BBBB-4B75-A4A9-C3AD206514D7.jpeg
    349.8 KB · Views: 91
  • B06EF494-ED54-4699-9F8A-C29FA51C5834.jpeg
    B06EF494-ED54-4699-9F8A-C29FA51C5834.jpeg
    259.3 KB · Views: 89

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think most do the belt drive for strickly performance increases. Most have been butt hurt with an exploded chaincase or like the ease of maintenance or belt changes, if required. Also some are looking for areas to reduce over-all weight. A little here and a little there, it all adds up to make the performance noticable. If you ride stupid deep snow often, a lighter sled is a huge win when it comes to getting unstuck by yourself. How many guys consider that performance increase? I know what it takes to get my sled out of a stuck compared to my buddy's Doo 850T. And they both get stuck, now and again.

why you getting stuck?

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Money poorly spent and saving money? This is sledding lol but seriously there has to be some gain to losing all that weight and only having to turn a 1/4 or less of that weight with a belt drive, I sure noticed it on my sled. Maybe each sled chassis responds a bit different to the belt drive but on my 1000lb Yamaha it helped, it spools up just a little bit quicker down low and the weight was noticeable on the right side. Two years and the belt still looks brand new and this is on a sled with substantial more power than a little 850. Money well wasted to me.
that's interesting. trying to think about this logically, it seems that any performance gains would be more noticeable on the opposite of your setup. in other words, a lighter and moderately powered sled.

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that's interesting. trying to think about this logically, it seems that any performance gains would be more noticeable on the opposite of your setup. in other words, a lighter and moderately powered sled.

So much weight savings on the Sidewinder with the way reverse works on them that its a big help. Way more efficient with less rotating mass.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Myabe, but where is the fun in that. Plus the advantages of the new chassis and gauge would be sweet.
Gauge doesn’t work in Canada they are saying because it runs on radio frequency. Not sure if you can the winder engine as low as the 858 is to reap the rewards. If they offered the winder engine in the catalyst it would be no brainer.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gauge doesn’t work in Canada they are saying because it runs on radio frequency. Not sure if you can the winder engine as low as the 858 is to reap the rewards. If they offered the winder engine in the catalyst it would be no brainer.
For Canada, they are probably just waiting on approval for the "data over voice frequecy" issue. Garmin got approval already for their handheld Rinos so it will get approved.

roughriders

Reaction score
For Canada, they are probably just waiting on approval for the "data over voice frequecy" issue. Garmin got approval already for their handheld Rinos so it will get approved.
its a different frequency then the Rinos, hopefully they do get the licensing figured out.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I saw a comment about how the mag side cylinder of the 858 is right behind the centered steering post. Had to pull up the pic myself to see. Purposefully built that way...i.e. room for a turbo?

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always wonder why anyone in decision making would even consider something like an 858cc, several seasons after the 850 was introduced by the other two. I laughed when I saw that, 8cc more then its competition, now that's raising the bar LOL.
Why did they not put the real scare in the competition by introducing a real increase like 880 or 890. I'm sure that would make some rethink their sled option as an N/A sled if they would of, we will never know now.
And ya I agree, make it turbo ready for those looking for that.
Either way these are still sub 200hp factory.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always wonder why anyone in decision making would even consider something like an 858cc, several seasons after the 850 was introduced by the other two. I laughed when I saw that, 8cc more then its competition, now that's raising the bar LOL.
Why did they not put the real scare in the competition by introducing a real increase like 880 or 890. I'm sure that would make some rethink their sled option as an N/A sled if they would of, we will never know now.
And ya I agree, make it turbo ready for those looking for that.
Either way these are still sub 200hp factory.

What is it at 8000ft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Top Bottom