Canada Post Strike - 2018

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Well I put the topic as Canada Post Strike 2018, because we all know there will be another one next year at this time and the years following. Seems to be the happing thing with that union.

All my bills come in by email now, and most things seems to be online.
This is going to seriously hurt businesses like Amazon, Ebay and others but I think these can all work deals out with couriers.

Canada Post is not the only the contender now, and with this in light who knows maybe a discount courier can pop up to replace Canada post parcel service or the current couriers will provide a replacement service. Who knows how this will turn out, and maybe Canada post will go the way of the greyhound because people seem to get greedy over time.

• Admin

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Some of the requests in the CUPW proposal include:
  • A 2.9-per-cent annual wage increase.
  • Double time pay for working a sixth or seventh day.
  • New wage advancements for temporary workers, based on working 1,000 hours in a fiscal year.
Canada Post's to workers includes:
  • A two-per-cent annual wage increase.
  • Overtime pay for working more than 40 hours.
  • The creation of 500 full-time positions over three years.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Love to see a company today cut services and raise there rates and survive the ongoing markets. Only a Canadian govement company can live in denial. Good luck Canada post think it’s time for you to go away. Only then the employees and the service provider will see where they went wrong.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what I don't get is how they don't see the writing on the wall for their future. Over the past 5 years Canada Post lost money in 3 of those years not to mention a loss of $242 million for 2nd quarter 2018. I heard that from 2006 to 2017 mail volume declined 41% but parcel delivery is looking much better. It will be interesting to see how it all unfolds.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Should be happy to have the jobs they have, but looks like they will be signing their own termination papers.

Paper mail is dead. Cheque’s are now being replaced with direct deposits. Their survival will require package deliveries.

While they dispute this shat, fed ex, puralator, and ups will take over the market.

Canada post you will be tits up!

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here in Revy in order to serve us better they have made the main postal area smaller . In winter when the town is full of skiers and lineups are out the lobby door they have one speed. (Guess) If you get a parcel card in your box you have to either go to the counter or around back and ring the buzzer for larger parcels. The sign on the door says if nobody answers go around the front. All mail here goes to PO Boxes.I dread going there.!!! It’s like 1960.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And yet my replacement cc is coming Canada P. So while they dick around over 0.9% I sit without a replacement card.

Honestly I don’t think Canada P’s offer is out of line.

gunner3006

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Crazy how they do it right before Christmas too. You are correct. Purilator is pathetic as well. The writing is on the wall for them. There doing rotating strike shifts too. Honestly though. Shipping has been the chit in general for the past year or more.

Rjjtcross8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like Canada post is giving them a darn good offer, however the union will want them to bend further. A 2.9% increase year after year? Sounds like in ten years it will cost ten bucks to get a letter across town due to overhead costs.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe if they did a better job, they could justify the pay increases they want. There is times it takes 2 weeks for a letter to get received from Edmonton area to Edmonton area, completely unacceptable. Anytime i've had mail forwarded there is huge problems with it, and they charge an arm and a leg for it. I still use snail mail a decent amount to collect payment and to pay a few sub contractors. It's a pain in the a$$ picking up/dropping off checks many times so mail is still convenient, but they've gotten so unreliable you can't really bother anymore.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
FWIW they’re last contract expired 10 months ago and they have been working without a contract since. Negotiations started almost 2 years ago. Government has had more important things to worry about apparently.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's an ongoing mess for sure. My suggestion , give a one month notice Canada wide , then fire every damn one of them , tell the union they are no more, then hire back the ones you want , take applications for new hires , and start over, maybe still government service , maybe private industry or maybe a combination, work it out. The biggest problem is without a doubt the union , kill it , move on. That's enough with the threats to strike every Christmas , holding the country hostage cause they can , self serving bull$hit while with holding delivery for their personal gain. Screw em, punt em all , deal with the consequences. Can't really be much more painful than what we've been going through.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There sure seems to be alot of union haters responding to this thread. I believe that we don't know all the facts from both sides. The fact that this is happening now is not good for us but good for the union. I also believe if it wasn't for unions most people would be making alot less with alot less benefits. Think and say what you want but the unions have helps alot of people for many,many years get fair deals and has held companies accountable. The unions are not perfect either but lots of companies have tried many times to screw over lots of employee's. Most companies don't give a rats ass about their employee's even if they say they do. As a union member all my life I was more than GRATEFUL that I had a union to look out for my best interest when the company that I worked for most of my life and thought they were great but in the end they treated us like sh** when they were closing the branch. The union made sure we were treated better and due to the union agreement stating the company will pay us a hefty severance i was able walk away a very happy man. I firmly believe without them all of us would of got tons less money.( non union members did get less than us) I am also sure some people will respond back thinking who the hell is this guy but after reading the post I had to say something. I'm now going to grab a coffee and get all my day started. What to do when we can't sled yet??

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In my opinion there are two types of workers on this planet. Leaders and followers, unions have a place for sure but for the most part leaders make there own way and the unions work for the workers so they don’t have to.
This country and others too are right out of control with people expecting to get something, there hand is alway out. When I started to work my attitude was I’ll work a few days if you like me keep me, now a days people that call me looking for a job the first thing out of there mouth is how much are you paying.
I reply with were not union, we don’t get paid we get results then we get paid.
dont get me wrong the union has a place but there workers are trying to drink from a cup that has nothing left in it. “We” the industry foke can’t afford to keep this country afloat with our tax dollars.
Right now with our leaders sinking the oil, forestry,construction,mining,fishing and farming industries not to mention imagination the last thing Canada needs is more people with there hand out looking for more.
we need a reset button.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There sure seems to be alot of union haters responding to this thread. I believe that we don't know all the facts from both sides. The fact that this is happening now is not good for us but good for the union. I also believe if it wasn't for unions most people would be making alot less with alot less benefits. Think and say what you want but the unions have helps alot of people for many,many years get fair deals and has held companies accountable. The unions are not perfect either but lots of companies have tried many times to screw over lots of employee's. Most companies don't give a rats ass about their employee's even if they say they do. As a union member all my life I was more than GRATEFUL that I had a union to look out for my best interest when the company that I worked for most of my life and thought they were great but in the end they treated us like sh** when they were closing the branch. The union made sure we were treated better and due to the union agreement stating the company will pay us a hefty severance i was able walk away a very happy man. I firmly believe without them all of us would of got tons less money.( non union members did get less than us) I am also sure some people will respond back thinking who the hell is this guy but after reading the post I had to say something. I'm now going to grab a coffee and get all my day started. What to do when we can't sled yet??

Don't hate unions, dislike public sector unions. In this case, getting more money from taxpayers in wages/benefits while we are taxed to death. CP and CBC should both be sold and left to survive on their own merits.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What are hourly wages for these jobs? Would assume pretty good for the level of capability required?

Top Bottom