Can someone clarify this...

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
or a simple phone call to a snowmobile club ???

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So there no truth to the money going to the gov't for a user fee to use the land for our sport? I agree with the money going to the clubs to maintain the trails ,groomer etc.

Just to be clear.....NO, your trail pass fee does not go to the government. Most of it goes out the exhaust of the snowcat. Clubs in BC pay no fees to government for the management agreement they must have in place with Recreation Sites and Trails branch to legally collect fees. Government also doesn't supply much more than maybe some signage to clubs, and one first aid kit a year that always seems to get stolen from our warmup shack.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we ride up a trail that isnt groomed by the local sled club. Its hell. By day 4 and 5 of my trip im sitting on my seat, only my right arm on bars, doing 10 km/h and fawking pouting. I would gladly pay $25 a day for a smooth ride but then im sure it would have more traffic.... Which would suck more than the rough ride.

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They need to stop calling it a grooming fee. That money goes to a lot more than just having a flat trail. So then when it is bumpy all I hear is waaaa waaaa waaa I'm not paying if there not grooming and other such BS. I like a smooth trail too but that isn't the whole story. Side note: if you like a smooth trail maybe start by learning how to ride on one. Don't floor it out of the chute and then pile on the binders in the corner only to mash it again. Everybody knows your a pro sno cross rider and all but relax you'll get there........sorry sorry way off track there my bad... Carry on.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They need to stop calling it a grooming fee. That money goes to a lot more than just having a flat trail. So then when it is bumpy all I hear is waaaa waaaa waaa I'm not paying if there not grooming and other such BS. I like a smooth trail too but that isn't the whole story. Side note: if you like a smooth trail maybe start by learning how to ride on one. Don't floor it out of the chute and then pile on the binders in the corner only to mash it again. Everybody knows your a pro sno cross rider and all but relax you'll get there........sorry sorry way off track there my bad... Carry on.

Hahaha but your bang on!! And your right it is a user fee NOT a grooming fee. And I think it should be charged every day regardless if it's a 2 day old groom

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
haha, I have tried that, was a big waste of time, no response, left message, didn't respond, gave up. maybe an honest answer is all that is required not a rant. from what I gather this may be his first time with trail fees. (I may be wrong).

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

that would help.

butthead

Reaction score
so then what is that sign that says something about a $2000 dollar fine if caught on the trail without a trail pass
do u think the gov gives a rats ass about fuel in the groomer
there has to be some kind of government involvement for the fine to be in place
don't think the original poster is concerned about the trail fee
sounded more like a question as to how the fee came about and how it all came to be

Regulations - Forest Practices Code of BC ActFOREST RECREATION REGULATION

Contents

Last edited:

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Well, actually....it pretty much has to be called that, because under the terms of a management agreement that's all the club is allowed to charge for. Well, brush clearing and trail maintenance could be covered too, but that's not the expensive part. Trail pass money is not supposed to be used for other general club costs. There wouldn't be any money left over after paying for grooming and trail maintenance anyway. See buttheads link above. It pretty much spells out what the trail pass money can be used for. The fine for non payment......never heard of anyone getting one, but I bet the club wouldn't get the money. Straight to provincial government general revenue I'm guessing.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear some people are having trouble affording a trail pass, they say their new t3 cost too much.

This type of explanation gets kind of tiring....
Zero relevance and makes zero sense.

SUPERDUTY

Reaction score

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well in the Revelstoke Area there is probably around 20 different places you can ride for FREE!! But you should see what those trails look like.....

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We all need to do more to help with our clubs more... I cut a bit of wood earlier in the season before snow because once the snow flies I don't have much time.... and the fees are used to build/maintain everything from cabins, trails, parking.... Also the more members a club has the better for keeping riding areas available.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
After reading these posts , why can't we have a provincial snowmobile membership? Because there quite a few people that ride in different parts of BC. I do realize there would be possibly issue with divvying up the $ though. just some food for thought.

It has been looked at and it is being looked at by various levels of government. I for one sure hope that it doesn't come to that! Even in Saskatchewan with the system they have installed and all the work that goes into the criteria for dividing up the money, there are hostilities regarding who gets how much. The best thing to do in BC is buy a membership where you ride. I sometimes buy 3-4 memberships depending on the year and what clubs I want to help out.

Another thing to consider is how much is it going to cost to administer (collection and divvying up along with admin fees? Who is going to be impartial with regards to the dispersement of funds? Lots of worms in a can of that nature and I see it all the time when I talk to members from other jurisdictions.

The bottom line is we have to pay to play and if we want a few amenities like groomed trails, nice warm-up shelters, signage, firewood, staging areas, hazard locations, etc., etc., we have to pay more. Is a $25 day pass really too much. Try skiing......

Shermanator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As a retired groomer I can tell you that no money goes to the government from trail pass fee's and as stated, it does cost allot of coin to keep the older groomers running, unless one of the complainer's wants to come up with 200K for a new one for the Club! If you did get charged with the offense of not paying, that fine would in fact go to the government. All Clubs are non profit organizations and the money donated via government or district grants all goes back into "stuff" for all sledders, even the whiners. What is forgotten is all of the volunteer hours that are put in by Club members to keep these Club's running, its not just the money brought in from trail pass fee's that keep the wheels turning. I agree that sometimes the trails are rough (simple term) and I wonder where the hell the groomer guy is but, if the Club is not run like a business it'd be flat broke busted, so even though the website says it'll be groomed at 75 sleds, it doesn't always work out that way. If you sled in one particular area I'd suggest you buy a season membership to save yourself some big bucks on the trail pass fee's. Sherm

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
in the McBride section I have outlined a few of the expenses and my phone number. I will sit down with anyone almost anytime and show or explain where the money goes. zero dollars go to the gov of your 25. all to the club to just stay above being broke. some numbers in this thread are being thrown around and not sure where they came from but 400 grand a year in trail user fees is not the case here for sure. not grooming fees-----trail user fees.

Top Bottom