Can i use ATF in my chaincase?

mr.polaris

Reaction score
I have been reading that i can use ATF in my chaincase.....is this a good idea, will it harm anything in there, what's the differece btwn ATF and the mystery mix they call chain case oil and sell for $500 a litre?

modmanmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i wouldnt especially if u still have warranty on your sled. but seriously what is 10 or 15 bucks for the proper recommended oil. its not like u change chaincase oil every week.

sledheadrevxp

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been reading that i can use ATF in my chaincase.....is this a good idea, will it harm anything in there, what's the differece btwn ATF and the mystery mix they call chain case oil and sell for $500 a litre?
I run synthetic manual transmission fluid.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Amsoil is cheep and is the best out there! I used to run ATF before I tried to put 300 HP through a chain case.....now I use some thing that will take abuse! that reminds me.....I have to put chain case oil in sled before I back out of shop tomorrow.....just did track swap!

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would not use it, ATF is not a very good lubricant to start with, especially for a chain application. You will get a longer life out of your chain and bearings with a basic gear oil (75/80) but for what little bit a chain case holds, I use a synthetic gear oil. Hope this helps!!

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have used it in the past on lower HP sleds. It will not harm anything. ATF is used in truck transfer cases with no troubles. My Kitty has a rep for eating chains,so I use synthetic lube,now.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use 75/90 synthetic gear oil from Canadian tire. It's like $12 for one liter jug. You should pretty much should get two changes out of it, so that $6 a change.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have used it in the past on lower HP sleds. It will not harm anything. ATF is used in truck transfer cases with no troubles. My Kitty has a rep for eating chains,so I use synthetic lube,now.
Spec on dodge transfer case is ATF+4, and its juts a big chain in there too, makes me wonder why not use it? I have a big jug of Mobil1 full synthetic. In the shop....hmmmmmmm

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you can use whatever you want. just a question though are you one of those people who will sit in a sevice station line up to get gas at 99.9 cents per litre for 45minutes, or go across the street an pay $1.01 per litre and be gone in 5 minutes or less. sure you saved a cent a litre but in total you may have saved a buck, wasted 45minutes plus. etc.

amsoil is like 9-10 dollars at peavy mart, you'll save a big wopping 5bucks, chain and gears are like 200+, what are ya saving? spend a dollar to save a nickle. it's up to you.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
you can use whatever you want. just a question though are you one of those people who will sit in a sevice station line up to get gas at 99.9 cents per litre for 45minutes, or go across the street an pay $1.01 per litre and be gone in 5 minutes or less. sure you saved a cent a litre but in total you may have saved a buck, wasted 45minutes plus. etc.

amsoil is like 9-10 dollars at peavy mart, you'll save a big wopping 5bucks, chain and gears are like 200+, what are ya saving? spend a dollar to save a nickle. it's up to you.

HOLY negative nancy......LOL... I use bacon grease in mine...yup, best sh!t ever... and CHEAP

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
friggin batman, you an yer bear grease. no wonder ya sit all by yerself,

E to the v

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i wouldnt especially if u still have warranty on your sled. but seriously what is 10 or 15 bucks for the proper recommended oil. its not like u change chaincase oil every week.
I changed mine after 36 miles last week. Stupid attack rock. $15 synthetic lasted about 10 hrs in the chaincase....

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've broke cases on the hill and used injector oil out of necessity before.ATF will be fine., sled chain cases's don't make much heat.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been using nothing but ATF since the mid 90's, thousands of miles, never a problem. My King Cat has 5000 hard miles on original chain, ATF since 100 miles.

HagmanMod1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I get the full synthetic amsoil from the case dealer out here it's about 6 bucks per change works great comes with a nice filler spout aswell

hilinerider

Reaction score
been using atf in chaincases for 15 years, multiple sleds and no issues with any of em

SNAFU

Reaction score
Spec on dodge transfer case is ATF+4, and its juts a big chain in there too, makes me wonder why not use it? I have a big jug of Mobil1 full synthetic. In the shop....hmmmmmmm
Yep. I use Mobil 1 synthetic ATF in my sled. Use it in my Dodge. I have also used Shell Advanced Synthetic chaincase oil frpm Can Tire. It works fine too and is about $9 for 500ml so a bottle lasted me two years.

Top Bottom