Can Am Keys

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I went yesterday to get some spare keys for the outlander. I brought the key, the insurance and registration of the quad but was asked where the quad was. Huh? apparantly the keys are not programmed it is the quad that is programmed to accept the keys. Makes sense I guess, this way no one can make a copy of your key and take the quad without your knowledge.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I went yesterday to get some spare keys for the outlander. I brought the key, the insurance and registration of the quad but was asked where the quad was. Huh? apparantly the keys are not programmed it is the quad that is programmed to accept the keys. Makes sense I guess, this way no one can make a copy of your key and take the quad without your knowledge.

yep the sleds are the same way

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Makes sense, but I wonder if this actually deters thieves from stealing these things. ...which leads me to wonder what the bastages do with stolen machines anyway. Part them out?

dodgeguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Makes sense, but I wonder if this actually deters thieves from stealing these things. ...which leads me to wonder what the bastages do with stolen machines anyway. Part them out?

I guess when ya steal it ya have lots of time to "fix" the problem....as there are still lots of people that ride with no reg. or ins.

dasboot

Reaction score
Im sure theres a way around it ......or rekey it!!!! Thanks for the thread though new key on the way...

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good idea on the spare keys, my commander flashed me a message this weekend after a good dunking that scrolled across the display "KEY NOT RECOGNIZED" and wouldn't start when I pushed the button. I almost ch!t my pants, we were 30 miles from camp on top of a mountain. pulled the key, cleaned it off and it started like normal. ~whew~

capercal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well my xt 1000 died when we about to go for a day trip. Moved 10 feet then dead cranks over will not fire up. Fuel full. Getting spark on pass side. Would have been the 6 trip/outing. Battery connections good fuses checked keys both clean No codes on display Any help thoughts, ideas many thanks

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well my xt 1000 died when we about to go for a day trip. Moved 10 feet then dead cranks over will not fire up. Fuel full. Getting spark on pass side. Would have been the 6 trip/outing. Battery connections good fuses checked keys both clean No codes on display Any help thoughts, ideas many thanks
can you hear the fuel pump pressuring up when you turn the key?

capercal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its getting fuel a clicking noise by the shifter. It was low on oil which is topped up seems dirty and why it took almost 2l after 3 rides since first service has me puzzled wth??

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its getting fuel a clicking noise by the shifter. It was low on oil which is topped up seems dirty and why it took almost 2l after 3 rides since first service has me puzzled wth??
yeah, that's strange. when I did the initial service on mine the oil was still up and looked clean. haven't had to add a drop since, over 500kms and 60 hrs on it now

Pink-Inc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It took almost 2l?? Thats all the motor is supposed to have in it so if it took nearly that it was ran nearly dry

SlowKrawl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was told by a friend who had made some poor life decisions (and then learned his lesson in jail) that the DESS can-ams are basically useless to steal without the key. It involves an entire new harness and is more of a PITA than it is worth. I am sure someone has a way around it, but it is nice to know that they at least have a deterrent.

Top Bottom