Building slip tank

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I finally found out everything. Regulations, don't state nor even reccommend double wall tanks. No problem building one myself at all.

As far as insurance, it's not a problem but you have to have commercial insurance. Even if the tank is for the truck only and cannot fill up anything else, and doesn't matter if your purpose is recreational. Said they could deny a claim if they see the tank, but not likely. Droping collision in a couple months because my truck will be paid for so i'm not worried, and no problems then.

Just going to build it myself since I can't find exactly what I want. Think 4x2x1 will be perfect, 60 gallons :beer:

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ended up buying a tank, got a wicked price. 60.5x9x16.5, holds just under 40 US gallons, enough to over double my range. Built by a fab shop in all diamond plate, only weights like 40lbs. For $175 and looks brand new. Fits perfect at the front of my box with my deck, loose maybe the first 1' of my box, not very useable with the deck anyways.

Just one question for anyone who knows about tanks, what do you use to clean it out? It was all sealed up, but I still want to make sure it's clean. My only though would be to put like 5L of diesel in it, drive around, drain it, and then do it again, and it should be clean then? I am going to buy a inline filter so it will be filtered before it hits my factory tank, but still want to make sure it's clean inside.

Tyson1988

Reaction score
i have been also thinking about building my own tank out of steel does any one know if the steel tanks you buy have a coating on the inside ?? or just run a filter to catch any rust or debris ?

RZR101

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pressure wash it out, dry it with rags taped to a stick. Have done it lots to tanks we had to weld. An inline filter doesn't hurt at all either.

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ended up buying a tank, got a wicked price. 60.5x9x16.5, holds just under 40 US gallons, enough to over double my range. Built by a fab shop in all diamond plate, only weights like 40lbs. For $175 and looks brand new. Fits perfect at the front of my box with my deck, loose maybe the first 1' of my box, not very useable with the deck anyways.

Cyle- where did you buy that tank?That's about the same measurements I have always wanted to build.

Last edited by a moderator:

700WFO

Reaction score
i have been also thinking about building my own tank out of steel does any one know if the steel tanks you buy have a coating on the inside ?? or just run a filter to catch any rust or debris ?

Research your idea carefully, any slip tanks used to transport dangerous goods (ie fuel) fall under many different regulations that may come into play depending on size. TDG, CSA, ASME are a few. Always run with a filter, preferably one that will also separate water, as condensation will always occur.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any good hookups on under the deck tanks?

Thinking of building my own but buying might be easiest.

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got mine built from a guy out of melfort sask just sent him dimensions and he built it fits under my sled deck and tonneu cover love it just gravity feeds into my truck tank

Top Bottom