Building slip tank

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been looking forever and can't find a used one in the size I need so just going to build it but need some advice. I want it approx 60" long 12" wide 16" high, so it fits at the front of my box under my STF deck. My calculation tells me that is just a hair shy of 200L. What thickness of metal would you guys say I should use? How many baffels? Can you actually buy baffels or do you have to drill the holes yourself? I usually go to general steel for steel, so not sure what they would have for actual baffels.

Thanks for any help, sick of my stock 34G tank and no one makes a bigger one :rant:

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
Been looking forever and can't find a used one in the size I need so just going to build it but need some advice. I want it approx 60" long 12" wide 16" high, so it fits at the front of my box under my STF deck. My calculation tells me that is just a hair shy of 200L. What thickness of metal would you guys say I should use? How many baffels? Can you actually buy baffels or do you have to drill the holes yourself? I usually go to general steel for steel, so not sure what they would have for actual baffels.

Thanks for any help, sick of my stock 34G tank and no one makes a bigger one :rant:

by baffles do you mean like separations? in that case dont drill just weld into place before you weld top and bottom together and i would say 4 at the least to keep your water down to 50L or so volumes sloshing around, with 1/2-3/4 inch holes for transfer from section to section, i doubt you would need much more than 1/8" thickness, but look into transportation regulations

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
by baffles do you mean like separations? in that case dont drill just weld into place before you weld top and bottom together and i would say 4 at the least to keep your water down to 50L or so volumes sloshing around, with 1/2-3/4 inch holes for transfer from section to section, i doubt you would need much more than 1/8" thickness, but look into transportation regulations

Anything under 100G is exempt for the regulations so pretty much nothing to follow, and it's for diesel for not much there. Yes I mean seperations for fuel sloshing around, I was talking about drilling holes in the seperation plates, if I can't buy premade ones. Also my though would be to not put holes in the bottom 6", just keep the plate 1" or so off the bottom so if it's low the diesel won't move much.

Do you guys 1/8" would do it? It might be 14"x14" not exactly sure it just depends on what I can buy for metal, as I don't want to have to cut the steel down lengthwase.

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Call stf right in sylvan lake. They custom build them to fit under there decks to what ever size you want. They have an engineer that does all the calculations to determine what you need for baffles and stuff. There prices are quite resonable also

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you know your dimentions, call Terry at Lazermann they can lazer cut any holes diementions you want and even engrave you name in it! I get all my plate cut there, the last pieace I had cut cost me $28 the plate alone would have cost me $20 and change. I can't be bothered to cut my own stuff now, this stuff comes out ready to weld and cheap.IMO
I will find ya the # at the office tomorrow.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That would be great, that is not bad at all. I might be picking up a Plasma pretty soon, but still for that price can't be bothered, and then I can get it the exact size I want. As far as being double walled, I have looked and read the laws over and over, and there is nothing that says you need double wall for under 100 gallon. It just has to be bolted down securly. I'm not very worried anyways, my truck is personally registered so I don't stop at scales, and you won't even be able to see the tank unless you put the tailgate down. And I'm pretty sure i'm going to fab up my toolbox to open up from the deck floor for secure storage, so then the tank would be impossible to see.

I really don't think I can afford to pay someone to make the whole thing, as i'm sure it would be like $600+ at the very least? Considering I can buy the steel for about $100, and maybe $50 for fittings.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Terry @ Lazermann Cuts 6718 Golden West Ave 403 314 9154. Its in Red Deer but she might now of the same deal in Edmonton.

My brothers company can't be bothered to get his welders to cut stuff now. I don't ether I could never cut that straight.

OverBore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am sure that you cannot build your own slip tank. They have to be UN approved along with other CGSB standards since you are hauling a flammable liquid. Do your homework to avoid a potential large fine from DOT.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score

I got one built by the guys that Raven gets their tanks from.Can't remember the name of the place.Had the same problem,wanted one that fit under deck.If I ever get home I could take some pics and post,or show it to you.Mines aluminum and holds 195l.If you're handy with a welder I know you could build one yourself for less than half the price I paid.:d

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would really like a replacement tank, but my truck is a quad cab short box and no one makes one. I've got a good mig, but cannot weld aluminum, if I do make it it's going to be steel. I'm not one bit worried about the welding part, if i'm not happy with my welds, I can take it to someone whos been doing it for 45 years and get it done.

I haven't been able to find 100% clear cut regulations on whats legal and what isn't. I'm interested to know, but I do know they get a lot worse over 100 gallons. But i'm really not to worried about DOT problems. I driveby the scales in Acheson a couple times a day, DOT couldn't careless even when i've had my truck loaded pretty close to it's capacity.

700WFO

Reaction score
Research carefully, many things have changed in TDG regulations over the last year, and most of the changes will affect the end user. Several changes evolve around slip tanks in particular. Road side checks of private vehicles is on the list of priorities for inspectors this year and next. Without a CSA certification or engineered/B-pressure welders endorsement, you might be asking for trouble down the road.

f150truck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is a link to Transport Canada -
Another link re Slip tanks -
Another re Double Walls - see page 15 -
"Diesel Fuel andFuel Oil Transport: Transport Canada Does NOT Require Double-Walled Tanks"

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the links, exactly what I remember reading. Under 450L=no regulations or certifications.

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
i have a aluminum tank kicking around. its thin but fits along the box of the truck. reinforced to put any quad or sled on it. holds somewhere over 100L not totally sure since it only had rig fuel in it

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a aluminum tank kicking around. its thin but fits along the box of the truck. reinforced to put any quad or sled on it. holds somewhere over 100L not totally sure since it only had rig fuel in it

Any chance you know the dimensions? That is pretty much what I want, a bit small but could work. And how much would you want for it?

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok well aluminum is great but i wouldn't put anything on them...they don't last that way... as for your ideal on baffles... make them the same as the inside and just cut the corners off 3 to 4 inches and put a 3 to4 in ch circle in the middle... don't worry about regulations just tell them you have had it for 10 years and they won't bother you an d you made it your self...for the size of your tank i would put 2 baffles in it....

Top Bottom