Brute Force Air Filter Spray???

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've seen a few dynos on other forums too.

The biggest difference I've seen was either with a modded airbox, or a hi-flow intake tract, like those made by Fuel-Customs. (Don't confuse intake tract with billet adapter, the adapter makes no difference on most models. The quads an adapter makes a minor difference on is quads with intakes similar to the YFZ by getting rid of the back fire screen, but even still, its not much of a gain at all.)

That being said, there is small changes in performance with an air filter, but my recommendation when buying an aftermarket filter, is getting one that lasts, and is easy to clean.

Easy to clean: K&N with outerwears, or a dual stage foam filter where the stages aren't bonded (you can separate) like the UNI filters. This makes cleaning a breeze.
Quote..

Very impressive answer there Shaun! Yes you are mostly right with most models.. doing just a cleaner, no other mods = a big fat goose egg for hp. Now this apply's to can-am, not sure on any other model but some should be the same, i would think.

now doing a open air box lid by EHS or doing a dual air inlet from the front of the air box combined with a pipe ( at least the pipe ) and a intake and a good feul controller has shown an increase of approx. 1 hp..
this is with the stock 09 up square filter. the filter has a 1/2 in thick piece of foam around it and it comes dry from the factory.. that foam surround should be oiled with foam filter spray oil... if you don't and use it dry on the stock filter then your trottle body will be covered on the inside with a layer of dirt. the stock filter needs the foam piece oiled. then it filters good...

if you don't want to replace your paper filter all the time... the Twin air power flow kit has shown the least amount of hp drop... yes, thats right, drop! the stock filter has shown 1/2 to 1 hp more than aftermarket. The twin air being a foam filter, filters excellent. seems to filter a tad better than stock, is the general concensis since 07.
other filters have shown lower results, but where only talking peanuts here...

so if i had the 09 up square filter with the oiled foam surround on my ham, i would keep it UNLESS you want a washable filter. then twin air and uni, is what i would do..

most test results since 07 have'nt yeilded good results on the hams with a k and n, whether it be hp or filtering.. now some people swear by there filter. to each there own, i guess.

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mark.

I haven't seen any aftermarket tracts available for the Brute Force (of any year) and any other filter will yield identical (or very close to) results of my stock filter. The element on the Brute is only 1/2" thick so the flow is good, and it stops dirt. There is a backfire plate that is essentially a "drop-in" screen on the Brute, and it is easily removable. Though this mod still wouldn't be noticeable.

Speaking of Can-Am, I'm willing to bet RonWood Racing's full intake tract will add an increase in power, more than a filter can provide. For best results the intake was developed with the RonWoods exhaust installed on the 800R engine. That could be a deadly combo if I'm not mistaken seeing as how these two parts are meant to work in conjunction.

Not to turn anybody off of aftermarket filter and intake systems, K&N's full intake tract and box is a 3HP increase over stock for the LT-R, and my Fuel Customs intake tract and oversize filter was a 3HP gain as well.

Some food for thought there, the power isn't made by the filter. It's made by how well you can get the air into the engine. This is where a new tract plays its part by being less restrictive. Seeing as how all airfilters need to filter, they all are pretty much equal.

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shawn, you would think it would be better but did'nt sell well cause of lower than expected hp figures. really. hardly anyone runs one of those, at least from what i have seen on two forums since 07, thats what it looks like..

its also bad that its so low and how can you go throw deep water or muddin.. it would'nt work too good... that was another turn off on the ron woods...
honestly ron woods is a thing in the past now with all the other pipe manufacturing companys making better product or just as good... i would do cermanic coating before i would wrap any heat tape like that around my header. especially if your always in water and mud.. and the wrap looks ugly too imo. the air set up with the intake that they have is a waste of money imo. There is not a single soul that races gncc that runs that and very few that still have a ron woods pipe... you want to know a super set up for can-am is the LTE single full sytem. i think it mite even be a touch better than a full muzzy.. full muzzy with a black teflon can is the shi*s man also in my books!
....and of course my NPP/turmoil slip-on.

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shawn, you would think it would be better but did'nt sell well cause of lower than expected hp figures. really. hardly anyone runs one of those, at least from what i have seen on two forums since 07, thats what it looks like..

its also bad that its so low and how can you go throw deep water or muddin.. it would'nt work too good... that was another turn off on the ron woods...
honestly ron woods is a thing in the past now with all the other pipe manufacturing companys making better product or just as good... i would do cermanic coating before i would wrap any heat tape like that around my header. especially if your always in water and mud.. and the wrap looks ugly too imo. the air set up with the intake that they have is a waste of money imo.

I agree that no airbox is chit on a 4X4, but I'm using it as an example of how it creates more power... With no airbox and a better tract. It works for a sport quad because they never go in anything wet.

And header wrap, yeah, not a fan for a 4X4 application. I had it on my YFZ and your legs thank you because most aftermarket headers do not have heat shields. Even in riding boots, those 450's run hot and you feel it! It works for 450's, not on 4X4's.

My bottom line, if you can get more air with larger diameter PVC for your intake snorkel do it.

If you don't want snorkels, larger diameter PVC and do a stealth job. :beer:

09xp850le

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dont use varsol. it eats the glue filters are bonded with- especially foam, the glue gets hard- on foam use a dish soap like sunlight. the glue doesnt get hard. or use no-toil products. gets most every oil brand out. use it on everything

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dont use varsol. it eats the glue filters are bonded with- especially foam, the glue gets hard- on foam use a dish soap like sunlight. the glue doesnt get hard. or use no-toil products. gets most every oil brand out. use it on everything

The dish soap works great after you use a degreaser, like the no-toil stuff you mentioned.

That is how I clean all of my filters. Except I use Maxima or Twin-Air.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maxima oil (and filter cleaner) you can usually find at your local dealership. I got mine at a local Honda dealership. I've seen it just about everywhere though.

The Twin-Air oil and cleaner works amazing together which is why I'm switching back. It gets the filter 100% clean and removes all of the oil.

Though when it comes to oiling, I do like using the Maxima FFT as it comes out thicker.

I've had Belray before, but it takes a while to get the oil out of the filter. You have to wash it twice. What do you clean yours with?

I've tried powder filter cleaner, degreaser, and spray on filter cleaner, and nothing gets Belray out... :confused:

I use nothing but the Belray foam filter oil,.. and how I clean it is I squeeze out as much dirty and oil as possible. Then in a basin you never want to use for anything ever again :), you cover the whole filter with SUNLIGHT dish washing detergent and massage it all in and rinse it in warm water.

I do it twice and my filter comes out just as clean as the day I bought it.

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hmm maybe you need to count your pesso's, a litre of gas is $1.20, how much is your filter cleaner $30. per litre, hmm need to do some math. ;)

Math and rocket science are the same thing... Don't ask me to count again! :rolleyes::beer:

Top Bottom