BRP cutting production on sleds.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I BRP wanted to increase sled sales all they have to do is fire up the old Tundras line, put some plastic skis on them and a stronger steering arm and they would sell thousands of these things.
Those type of sleds are the only sleds that hold their value. Everyone wants a small fan cooled sled for their kid or their acreage

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not to mention all the timber cruisers and trappers that are tired of being stuck.

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if this year was a great or even good one in terms of snow then we'd see the typical amount of snowchecks. sure economy and all that matters but peeps have no problem making bad financial decisions to get a new sled but low snow is a reminder that sleds unlike prolly any other toy are entirely dependent on certain weather conditions. quads, sxs's, etc are year round vehicles.

beerwolf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not to mention all the timber cruisers and trappers that are tired of being stuck.
I would buy one, single cylinder efi. These new skandics and tundras are way too heavy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I kind of feel like on the third year of snow check on pretty much the same platform you’re going to get a reduction in units ordered. Those guys that want them have them already. Bad snow years not a lot of km on most people’s units .Maybe it’s not some of there cup of tea and trying something else out.
Generally new colour schemes on a 3 year old model don’t market well?

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I find it funny that a lot of the folks on here that used to do mod builds back in the day and spend huge coin now feel a 180hp turbo sled from the factory with 3 yr warranty is to much. Some people have short memories. Lol
180hp bahahahaha, I was running about 270hp, never broke chains, never blew belts, ran on pump gas sold the engine with 4500kms on it.....but my fubar back made it too difficult to ride so now its an N/A 800 and I am happy. The whole fun about a mod sled was building it yourself, dialing it in and having the satisfaction of a job well done in the end.

In fact I have been looking at the Expedition Extremes with the 900Ace turbo for a nice trail cruiser, weekend family fun sled that can do deeper snow if needed.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I find it funny that a lot of the folks on here that used to do mod builds back in the day and spend huge coin now feel a 180hp turbo sled from the factory with 3 yr warranty is to much. Some people have short memories. Lol
Huh? That was few and far between, very few people built $25K mods back in the day. The 1994 T-Cat made 172 HP out of the factory and cost like $10 grand. Everything was custom because they didn't stamp them out from a factory in China. A comparable "Custom one off" sled worth 2.5 times the showroom cost today would run you over $60K.
my thoughts exactly lol. Probably couldnt pay me 25k to ride one of those old mods for a season now :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I guess its a good thing they spent all that money then, otherwise you guys today would still be riding 3/4" short tracks and trying to figure out how many main sizes to jet down for your twin pipes after you took all day to climb the first hill in 2 ft of snow.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Huh? That was few and far between, very few people built $25K mods back in the day. The 1994 T-Cat made 172 HP out of the factory and cost like $10 grand. Everything was custom because they didn't stamp them out from a factory in China. A comparable "Custom one off" sled worth 2.5 times the showroom cost today would run you over $60K.

I guess its a good thing they spent all that money then, otherwise you guys today would still be riding 3/4" short tracks and trying to figure out how many main sizes to jet down for your twin pipes after you took all day to climb the first hill in 2 ft of snow.

I never said I didn’t respect my elders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This thread is a great piece of "BRP propaganda" for some people but only the sheep are believing that it has anything to do with snow conditions. BRP priced themselves out of the market....plain and simple. They got greedy and raised the prices to the point where the majority of people stopped buying a luxury toy that only gets used for 4 months of the year and only lasts 4,000 km. Now they are trying to prop up their pricing scheme by cutting supply so that sleds are more "in demand" next winter? If it was truly about the snow and not about the price, why not maintain production and offer them for $18K next year? Give all the dealers rebates for hold over stock and blow out the 23's for $15K. They'd have people lined up around the block regardless if it snows or not next year.

The fact that he says "the industry is stable" immediately after saying they lost 30% of their sales and almost half their profit in a single year should be telling him the industry is in fact, NOT stable and can literally change on a dime......uh cuz it just did. Smells like a lot of bullch!t coming out of Valcourt. No ch!t the UTV markets are picking up - people are buying a side by side because you can fit a family of 4 in it for the price of a single sled.

Automobile manufacturers did the same, costs of vehicles have risen 36% in the past 5 years. Wages have not risen comparably. The average truck in the US is carrying $7,000 to $8,000 in negative equity right now, I bet Canada is very similar or likely even worse, since most of our good used stuff goes south and people are forced to overpay. Lots are flooded and they are back to offering 0% just to try and move vehicles. Cost of living here is crazy at the moment as everyone on this thread has mentioned. Fuel just went up from $1.43 to $1.62 in 2 weeks, which means everything you buy just went up because it comes in a semi truck. It will only get worse. Good luck trying to hold pricing even with reduced production. Only the ultra diehards, desperate or rich folks will be lining up in the fall.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I’ll introduce you to Darryl Baker, Ken Reich and Ken Dohei. They built a lot of high dollar mod sleds back in the day for people that spent that much. My 2003 creamsicle Rev 800 was over $21,000 when I built that. Split second porting and pipes, Baker rolled case with his chromoly front suspension, his rear suspension long tracked and case rolled and Simmons skis. Adds up pretty fast.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ll introduce you to Darryl Baker, Ken Reich and Ken Dohei. They built a lot of high dollar mod sleds back in the day for people that spent that much. My 2003 creamsicle Rev 800 was over $21,000 when I built that. Split second porting and pipes, Baker rolled case with his chromoly front suspension, his rear suspension long tracked and case rolled and Simmons skis. Adds up pretty fast.

when the 2 stroke turbo thing started up you could walk out of either of kenD or KenR shops with a 50k bill quite easily

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The majority of people built their own mods, the ones paying someone else to do it was a pretty select group. There have been a lot of bad azz sleds built in garages.

I feel the turbo market will also be a select market and the majority of sled buyers are aging and I suspect they are like myself, where an N/A sled is still really fun without the added running costs associated with a turbo. The N/A sleds today perform so well and are quite reliable.

fynnigan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^^. Very few people have the ability to ride a turbo r to the max capacity of the sled . And there are 2 model years of this sled with relatively low or no kms available. And on the na side of the conversation it goes back further than a couple of years.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^^. Very few people have the ability to ride a turbo r to the max capacity of the sled . And there are 2 model years of this sled with relatively low or no kms available. And on the na side of the conversation it goes back further than a couple of years.

yes, if guys were doing 1500-2000km seasons like usual the last 2 years there would have been alot more snow checks this year. Fact of the matter is there are a large number of 2023s and 2024s sitting in peoples garages with less than 300km

also just because you cant ride a turboR to its potential doesnt mean people arent buying them haha. Chit ive had 2 already

Top Bottom