Broken belt drive

MarkCos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I call bull ch!t on this , how can any one take this guys word for
what he did to this belt , it looks like he forgot the park brake on and
went full throttle wondering what the hell is going on ,or it could be an Evan stupider
jack ass maneuver like a sled boot stuck in the tunnel
lol
lets see pics of this trip and the high mark clime he did and the date when this all
went down , as u can't believe ever thing on the net

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
went full throttle wondering what the hell is going on ,or it could be an Evan stupider
lol
lets see pics of this trip and the high mark clime he did and the date when this all

if the park brake was on it wouldnt have any effect on the drive belt. but yes still hard to beleive

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
Yes I will admit that this story came from blowest but this one came with pictures.........and every 'story' of the 13 pros breaking thus far have been on the snow. funny how when the 'stories' or as I like to call them 'real world problems that come about because you bought a machine that broke because you used it like it was supposed to be used' come out, they are merely fabrications that couldn't possibly be truthful. give me a break!

I remember the pinecone threads.......lmao......funny stuff

I guess I find it funny how sensitive the polaris crowd is.......for 2 years we've heard how great the 'pro' chassis is and how it dominates all others........the messiah of sleds if you will.........lmao. But when you look at the real world and come out of fantasy land, what you have is just as many issues as all the other brands out there.....if not more. Just because polaris owners make the most noise about how dominant their ride is doesn't necessarily make it so.

this goes back so many years now I'm not entirely sure it will ever get solved......polaris has been arctic cats and skidoos bitch for so long I can imagine it is rather frustrating for the poo loyal.........wanting so badly to be on top. I get it........I understand your pain. its rather comical actually.......cat and doo riders just take whats thrown out and we deal with it......poo riders take it as an personal insult and get all butthurt to the point of suicide........let me just throw this out there.......suicide is an option for you polaris pro koolaid drinkers

This is the best bullchit I have read today... or worse ! in a long time !

MarkCos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yah I understand the park brake thing ,
I am try to think on the stupidest level ever to understand ,
as this belt damage is to plain dumb operator miss uses .

again ,I have seen parts last 15000 hours and I have seen the same parts
only last 200 due to poor operating skill

I need more proof than a pic and a some guys girl friends sisters kid saw it happen lol

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This pizzen match has been going on since the 60's,and you know what? It ain't ever gonna end!

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a FYI, some of the ribbed driveshafts on the 2012 models were never welded from the factory and would spin the insert in the shaft when the track was under extreme traction situations. I have some Polaris dealers as customers and they have confirmed that there was a run of serial numbers that were affected. There have been no confirmed failures of the new hex driveshafts which are actually glued. The only way the insert could spin in the tube is if the tube split, which looks like it would be highly unlikely.
Once again more rumors. I'm sure there is more to the belt story too.

I rode my new Pro this past weekend with a 174 3 inch and it worked just fine with plenty of on off and hard braking. We had to jump about 20 creeks at quartz and no issues.

First pic is how its suppose to look, second is the failure. May be a select few that have been miss glued or there is a design issue.

Attachments

• 2012-11-06194908.jpg
    2012-11-06194908.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 294
  • imagejpeg952.jpg
    imagejpeg952.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 290

KH2110

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This whole thread is pretty much pointless now but who cares what you ride, If someone who ride a doo knows or heard or a problem with a poo don t get all defensive just take it into note. But hey at least the thread is entertaining haha

hahahahahaha.........kind of the point.....entertainment for some, hurt feelers for others. LMAO

lol

LMAO........after reading that post I have only one question..........was it fourth or fifth grade when you dropped out of school?

[/B][/I][/SIZE][/COLOR]

This is the best bullchit I have read today... or worse ! in a long time !

Glad you enjoyed it........that was the purpose:beer:

This pizzen match has been going on since the 60's,and you know what? It ain't ever gonna end!

exactly!

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This whole thread is pretty much pointless now but who cares what you ride, If someone who ride a doo knows or heard or a problem with a poo don t get all defensive just take it into note. But hey at least the thread is entertaining haha

it started pointless and degraded from there.

MarkCos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yah kh2110 ur so smart ,
is that what ur momy told u every day

ps , mabey u should fine more intellectual yanks to talk to
cuz my iPhone and me might say a thing or two here on this forum that might not be good enough for ur so called high intellectual grammar
lol
Ur a big wast of time

untill the day I get kicked off here

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First pic is how its suppose to look, second is the failure. May be a select few that have been miss glued or there is a design issue.
you know, I don't think it is a glue issue, that insert had to spin in there by the looks of the way the hex shaft is rounded out. I'll bet it started deforming until the glue had to let go.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think so, I think it stripped it like a socket strips a bolt head but in this case the bolt would be stripping the inside of the socket. I think the glue did nothing, wasn't set right.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Adhesive if cured right has a lot higher shear strength than bolts and rivets. It's like that Vhb tape the use to glue buildings together.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks thin walled for a drive shaft thats supposed to get a lot of abuse.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what are they using the glue for, is it not a welded seam?

I think the shaft is cast aluminum and the ends are steel. So they glued the ends in. Same as the pressed 08 xp shafts. In this case there would be a gap for the glue between the two. So if the glue didn't cure it would make sense the end could move a bit the wear the shaft out. Where the 08 xp had a designed press fit, anyone that has taken machining will know there is different tolerances for different press fits (interference fit). But for whatever reason the xp shaft was not to the right interference for the applied torque

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think so, I think it stripped it like a socket strips a bolt head but in this case the bolt would be stripping the inside of the socket. I think the glue did nothing, wasn't set right.
it would be like trying to remove a steel bolt with a thin wall aluminum socket. but yeah, i guess if the glue wasn't cured and proper adhesion had not been achieved then it would make it more likely to spin inside the shaft.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the shaft is cast aluminum and the ends are steel. So they glued the ends in. Same as the pressed 08 xp shafts. In this case there would be a gap for the glue between the two. So if the glue didn't cure it would make sense the end could move a bit the wear the shaft out. Where the 08 xp had a designed press fit, anyone that has taken machining will know there is different tolerances for different press fits (interference fit). But for whatever reason the xp shaft was not to the right interference for the applied torque
I don't think it's cast aluminum, it looks extruded to me.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it would be like trying to remove a steel bolt with a thin wall aluminum socket. but yeah, i guess if the glue wasn't cured and proper adhesion had not been achieved then it would make it more likely to spin inside the shaft.

Yes you are correct. I wonder what gap is needed for the glue? Probably a couple thousands of an inch where a interference fit the ends od would be larger than the shafts Id

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
from what i remembered with the 08 doo shaft was where they pressed fit the ends to the center shaft they used a friction weld process and certain shafts did not penatrate enought... we had to drill holes 1/4 inch and add a tack weld... but the metals were the same

MarkCos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If they are made out of differant types of material (aluminum / steel )They will react differantly to tempature an expand and contract unevenly
And the glue would have a hard time coping with the difference and let go
Ie : going from heated gayrage and then out side to -15 and then hiting hard throttle

Although I am not an engineer on glueing steel
Lol
Could this have a factor ??
Just a thought

Top Bottom