Break in period 14 m8000

marcel.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just bought a brand new 14 m8000 I'm just curious on what everyones opinions are on break in periods. I've asked a few buddies of mine and they all had different answers some even said no break in is required. So im just curious as to what you guys think.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Weve had lots of cats over the years and there is no break in period, add a little oil to first tank, let it properly warm up and pin it to win it, I just bought a brand new 14 m8000 as well yesterday

Last edited:

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I understand there are a lot of safety checks done at the factory and the engine is run up, however the pin it to win it is not my recommendation, at over 200 for the higher end belt, that at least deserves n requires a 35-40 mile break in, with varying throttle and not long top end pulls,we recommend that you break in the stock belt and your spare, then you are more than likely to have everything broken in, and are more aware of how your machine runs, and also If heaven forbid you have an issue it s better to be in the break in mode, than the pin it mode. Don't get me wrong everyone has there own system , some just have a higher chance of costing you money and down time. Just remember if you decide to hammer down out of the gate,
we would be happy to supply you with parts :) . I also am told a don't ride to slow, however I do break in the belts an machine
This way and have good luck for 24 seasons :) .
Ride safe
ride smart

Terry

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like two dealers looking for an out on guys warraties to me , my dealer backs me 100% and told me just ride it normal no break in for every cat weve had and got from them, also never had a pre mature failure yet, i blew up my primary last year after 3000+ miles, to get that much out of an 11 m8 primary is ok thats for sure, that was my only failure of anything and it was still warrantied in year 4, never once blew a belt, i realize as well the new ones tend to eat belts , but that whole break in period imho is an out for dealers, if the belt pre maturely blows, like first trip to the hills, dealer should back you no matter what case closed

Sent from my iPhone because I'm sledding or to lazy to get off the couch

Last edited:

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
Sounds like two dealers looking for an out on guys warraties to me , my dealer backs me 100% and told me just ride it normal no break in for every cat weve had and got from them, also never had a pre mature failure yet, i blew up my primary last year after 3000+ miles, to get that much out of an 11 m8 primary is ok thats for sure, and it was still warranties, never once blew a belt, i realize as well the new ones tend to eat belts , but that whole break in period imho is an out for dealers, if the belt pre maturely blows, like first trip to the hills, dealer should back you no matter what case closed

Not sure where in either of their posts either dealer said the wouldn't honor warranty on the failures.... And are more telling you to break in the belts than telling you running it right off the line will cause major issues.

I think you'd be some hard pressed to find anyone who deals with T&t that wouldn't tell you those guys more than back their customers. And I personally have had terry and his crew go above and beyond for me with service I have needed.

And have also heard nothing but good things about Ralph's.

So maybe just maybe these guys are giving they're personal advice on how they chose to break in machines. Maybe because they would hate to see someone get the the hills and blow a belt 5 Kms up the trail because they didn't break it in a bit. Not so much saying it will happen but saying it could and it's their opinion you should give a belt a bit of a break in.

maybe you shouldn't jump on here running your mouth about people you have obviously never dealt with.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like two dealers looking for an out on guys warraties to me , my dealer backs me 100% and told me just ride it normal no break in for every cat weve had and got from them, also never had a pre mature failure yet, i blew up my primary last year after 3000+ miles, to get that much out of an 11 m8 primary is ok thats for sure, that was my only failure of anything and it was still warrantied in year 4, never once blew a belt, i realize as well the new ones tend to eat belts , but that whole break in period imho is an out for dealers, if the belt pre maturely blows, like first trip to the hills, dealer should back you no matter what case closed

I don't think either dealer is giving anything but their suggestions on breaking in a new sled....I don't see it as an "out" at all. I have ALWAYS mixed 100:1 on the 1st tank, put 10-12 easy miles on a new belt and kept it at or under 3/4 throttle for the 1st tank, without hard "to the pin" starts on a new machine. Been trouble free with this practice too.

If "to the pin out the gate" works for you, keep it up......but I would have to agree with the two dealers who were good enough to leave their opinion. I think either way, you will get warranty, but eventually warranty runs out and I think a proper broken in machine will just last longer.....

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Right from t&t's post, remember if you decide to hammer down out of the gate we would be happy to supply you with parts , which to me means break out cheque book lol

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think either dealer is giving anything but their suggestions on breaking in a new sled....I don't see it as an "out" at all. I have ALWAYS mixed 100:1 on the 1st tank, put 10-12 easy miles on a new belt and kept it at or under 3/4 throttle for the 1st tank, without hard "to the pin" starts on a new machine. Been trouble free with this practice too.

If "to the pin out the gate" works for you, keep it up......but I would have to agree with the two dealers who were good enough to leave their opinion. I think either way, you will get warranty, but eventually warranty runs out and I think a proper broken in machine will just last longer.....

I did mention pre mix first tank, and the belt should be broke in by the time you reach the alpine, lots of varying throttle there on the trail, but to go no more than 3/4 throttle for a whole tank.... Gimme a break

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure where in either of their posts either dealer said the wouldn't honor warranty on the failures.... And are more telling you to break in the belts than telling you running it right off the line will cause major issues.

I think you'd be some hard pressed to find anyone who deals with T&t that wouldn't tell you those guys more than back their customers. And I personally have had terry and his crew go above and beyond for me with service I have needed.

And have also heard nothing but good things about Ralph's.

So maybe just maybe these guys are giving they're personal advice on how they chose to break in machines. Maybe because they would hate to see someone get the the hills and blow a belt 5 Kms up the trail because they didn't break it in a bit. Not so much saying it will happen but saying it could and it's their opinion you should give a belt a bit of a break in.

maybe you shouldn't jump on here running your mouth about people you have obviously never dealt with.

If a belt blows that quick like in the first day it was gonna blow either way, whether you baby it or ride normal

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did mention pre mix first tank, and the belt should be broke in by the time you reach the alpine, lots of varying throttle there on the trail, but to go no more than 3/4 throttle for a whole tank.... Gimme a break

its only one tank.....whats the big deal? You do what you feel is best, I will continue to use my practice. I believe the OM even says to go easy on the 1st tank...I could be wrong.
I also have had no trouble selling my trades to friends/relatives as I know its been looked after......to each his own

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol half throttle. No mountain machine or part should be designed to require any break in. It's just not going to happen. I've never blown any belts prematurely from no breakin

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol half throttle. No mountain machine or part should be designed to require any break in. It's just not going to happen. I've never blown any belts prematurely from no breakin

never said 1/2 throttle....just to take it easy for the 1st tank or so....don't the doos have a break in period? I think I read where your machines have a noticeable power change once break-in finishes....why is that? Electronically de-rated?

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
never said 1/2 throttle....just to take it easy for the 1st tank or so....don't the doos have a break in period? I think I read where your machines have a noticeable power change once break-in finishes....why is that? Electronically de-rated?

No power change there for break in, just stops oiling and fueling so much after 700 km or so

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No power change there for break in, just stops oiling and fueling so much after 700 km or so

then why the comments of extra hp (machine just wakes up) about when breakin ends?

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Runs a little leaner

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Will be crisper for sure

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score

But why does it need a break period built into the sleds if they don't need to be broken in?? Isn't this a dealer or manufacturer sorry covering their ass by limiting the machine until it's broken in??

Top Bottom