Boom

bensen

Reaction score
Another Polaris 800 blown up. My 10 dragon went down today,guess I should be happy got 1100 miles out of it. Think it's time for a change in color.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hope polaris has got thier $h!T together with their new 800! couldnt pay me to ride a time bomb like the 07-10 polaris 800! I guess if you ride one of these sled you should have a spare engine sitting in the truck like most people carry spare plugs lol! I heard polaris is making a new rack for the back of these sleds to carry a spare engine......instead of actually finding the reason why the 800 blow up! come on Polaris....time to stop all the reflashing to cover up the problem!

capt. crunch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WOW I'm running a 2010 800 D, I would hope to get more than 1100 miles for the money spent. I'm a third of the way there in one month!
Pretty sad if it doesn't even make the season.:lemon:

salbendidi

Reaction score
:beer:well i have 955 miles on my 10 assault. i hate seeing this happen. i am in the blow up area. the backus boys flashed my sled back to the original. runs wicked. hope it holds together! good luck and merry xmas

MTsnowman

Reaction score
Website
www.stovedoctor.biz
Hello Boom,
Sure hate to hear of those troubles - especially when the season is just gettin started.
Hopefully everything will work out for the best. When I decided to buy a new sled - I choose a Cat because of those problems with the 800's, your news justs confirms that I made a wise choice, IMO. Good luck to you.

jonniebud

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
went out on second ride of the season and blew up my cat $$$ but as my buddy said listen to it purr as i got towed off the mountain oh what a ride .should be back up and goin before the new year.should last a while cause other than that santa gonna give me socks and underwear. oh what a life.;)

Noodles51

Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong but any engine could blow up depending on how it is being driven, conditions and rider skills, Aren't they all only going to last just so long. It is though when get the problem sled. Sorry about your luck. Hope you get your sled back and on the hills soon.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shouldnt matter but the Poo`s as every one knows was having engine issues. These and all engines should last longer for the cash we are paying for them. I hope you get looked after by warranty.

Timber_12

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 09 hcr made it 34 miles before it siezed. and I should have taken the hint then! It now has 342 miles in three seasons with another 8 thousand for the turbo and new rails that bent like pretzels after a 6 foot drop into a creek.

At least with a polaris, I would be expecting it to blow up so every ride i get is a bonus instead of expecting a great ride with my cat and getting towed out by a skidoo time and time again.

foxrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 97 summit has 3309 km and its still running strong with no rebuilds.

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe you need to get one of those 1000lb 4 strokes.......they never have any problems.....

Why did you buy a 2 stroke ? Is all that money you paid just for the motor ? Is it for the whole package.

That's a 2 stroke man.
What exactly happened to your motor ? Top end ? Bottom ?

People buy 2 strokes for the explosive power and torque, and because they are generally cheaper to re-build. The guy in the last post that has 3500 miles on his 670....Great !!! Good for you. Do you know anyone else that has that kind of miles on a 2 stroke. I don't.

I would never put that kind of milage on a two stroke motor without rebuilding it. Sheet, I only put a max of 15 - 20 hours on top ends in dirt bikes.
In my opinion 1100 miles on a top end, if that's what happened, ain't a big deal

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 97 summit has 3309 km and its still running strong with no rebuilds.
You know we all hear about the people down east putting on 6,000 kms or more a year are they rebuilding them? never hear about it??. A buddy went back east last year to New Brun. his brother in law had a quad with 14,000 kms nothing done to motor i know it doesnt got the snappy throttle of a sled, but that was a honda.

towerrigger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On one of our trips to Revy this year I seen a younger gent unload his summit out of the trailer, start it up and pin it wide open across the lot. No warm up of any kind. Not trying to start anything but I would imagine this has a lot to do with a lot of the burn downs you hear about. When I used to run two strokes we never moved them until we could feel heat in the exchangers. :twocents:

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
on one of our trips to revy this year i seen a younger gent unload his summit out of the trailer, start it up and pin it wide open across the lot. No warm up of any kind. Not trying to start anything but i would imagine this has a lot to do with a lot of the burn downs you hear about. When i used to run two strokes we never moved them until we could feel heat in the exchangers. :twocents:

biggest killer of 2 strokes out there

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello Boom,
Sure hate to hear of those troubles - especially when the season is just gettin started.
Hopefully everything will work out for the best. When I decided to buy a new sled - I choose a Cat because of those problems with the 800's, your news justs confirms that I made a wise choice, IMO. Good luck to you.

Speaking of Cat, my buddy has a 2006 M7 with 5600 miles on it and now he is thinking a top end refresh is in order lol he has rode it hard too all kootenay riding... You made a very wise choice, reason i ride cat too. not too many stock engine problems out of the crate...

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe you need to get one of those 1000lb 4 strokes.......they never have any problems.....

Why did you buy a 2 stroke ? Is all that money you paid just for the motor ? Is it for the whole package.

That's a 2 stroke man.
What exactly happened to your motor ? Top end ? Bottom ?

People buy 2 strokes for the explosive power and torque, and because they are generally cheaper to re-build. The guy in the last post that has 3500 miles on his 670....Great !!! Good for you. Do you know anyone else that has that kind of miles on a 2 stroke. I don't.

I would never put that kind of milage on a two stroke motor without rebuilding it. Sheet, I only put a max of 15 - 20 hours on top ends in dirt bikes.
In my opinion 1100 miles on a top end, if that's what happened, ain't a big deal

5600 miles on my 99 700 RMK, never been touched and it still rocks!

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have never bought a 2 stroke for its longivity. when i used to ride dirt bike it was a piston and rings every year. I just did a engine out of a 600 summit threw a ring no reason for it that i could see sled had 4000km on it. Also just did my 600 triple just under 6000 miles on it still ran but comp was low. seen a lot of 2 strokes go boom for no real reason. chit happens.

Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
9200KM on my wifes 2000 Yamaha 500fan before the bottom end let go. Bit of a mess, but it's back up and running just fine. 2 Strokes are cheap to fix regardless.

Top Bottom