Bolder closed

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good idea. I'd have one of the little chips on there for sure.
Or atleast some skill testing questions for the renter's.

1. Have you ever ran a snowmobile.
2. In the mountains?

Maybe you should splurge for the guide option.

Instead of: here is your gun, here is one bullet. Make it count.

Reactions: RXN

Halon60

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hope these guys are found safe. But there is no reason for this in todays world of technology. 1: Ride with an in-reach or Spot satellite messenger. You are always locatable if lost or injured. 2: Carry two way radios and put the channel you are using on your truck window in the parking lot. 3: Do not ride areas you don't know well without a guide or someone who knows the area. Accidents can and will happen, pays to be prepared.

Other than #2. All common sense to some. I bought an Inreach and went out to familiar places and messaged a buddy to make sure it works properly. I ride alone a lot and it definitely pays to be prepared

skid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Or atleast some skill testing questions for the renter's.

1. Have you ever ran a snowmobile.
2. In the mountains?

Maybe you should splurge for the guide option.

Instead of: here is your gun, here is one bullet. Make it count.
Those are far from skill testing... yes and yes and now I have a sled to head out. Experience or a guide is what is needed, the rental company isn't to blame but at the same time put a couple newbies on a mountain sled and a lot of **** can happen in a hurry. It's like anything in life, experience is everything.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"Blakney said it appears that one of the two sleds ran out of fuel Saturday, and when the men tried to get out on the other machine, they got lost.

The pair created a make-shift snow fort where they stayed for the night before trying to walk out Sunday morning, he said.

The snowmobilers got lost again on Sunday, Blakney said, but rescuers saw their footprints and were able to track them down."

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those are far from skill testing... yes and yes and now I have a sled to head out. Experience or a guide is what is needed, the rental company isn't to blame but at the same time put a couple newbies on a mountain sled and a lot of **** can happen in a hurry. It's like anything in life, experience is everything.

Sorry I was being facetious, my sarcasm doesn't always come through in text.

Obviously those are dumb fawking questions, but if you have rented sleds for any amount of time your Spidey sense must be doing back flips when something like that walks through the door.

But I guess $400 is $400.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"Blakney said it appears that one of the two sleds ran out of fuel Saturday, and when the men tried to get out on the other machine, they got lost.

The pair created a make-shift snow fort where they stayed for the night before trying to walk out Sunday morning, he said.

The snowmobilers got lost again on Sunday, Blakney said, but rescuers saw their footprints and were able to track them down."
Good on them for building a snow cave.

skid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry I was being facetious, my sarcasm doesn't always come through in text.

Obviously those are dumb fawking questions, but if you have rented sleds for any amount of time your Spidey sense must be doing back flips when something like that walks through the door.

But I guess $400 is $400.
all good, just saying that it's tough to know who has the know and who doesn't, lots of going bullchitters out there in this world and simply asking questions means nothing.

assaultn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The minute you put some "skill testing questions" or any type of judgment on the rental shop to whether or not someone is fit to rent and use that machine a whole bunch of legal issues would likely arise. The onus has to lie on the renter to be prepared. Glad to hear the fellas are ok. This will certainly be a learning lesson.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I find it interesting that they ran a sled out of gas. In my experience it takes a combination of deep snow, riding talent, and great physical condition to run a modern sled out of fuel on a mountain. What am I missing here?

polaris011

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I find it interesting that they ran a sled out of gas. In my experience it takes a combination of deep snow, riding talent, and great physical condition to run a modern sled out of fuel on a mountain. What am I missing here?
Conditions were good this weekend if you got in the right spot. We were down by 230 Saturday and were basically out of fuel. These guys are 24 year olds having fun in some creek. pretty easy to burn thru fuel trying to get out of a steep deep creek. ( This is all an assumption). I don't know but I feel we aren't getting the whole story, your telling me 2 guys from Kelowna never rode a sled in the mountains before??
Anyways glad they were found and everything worked out!
One more thing. Lol. How is it in any way the rental companies responsibility? That's the dumbest thing I ever heard. These are grown men making grown adult decisions!

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess the best way to gain experience is by setting out hoping for one set of results and experiencing a completely different set of results.

They know for next time.
Pack:
- food and water (More then you think you need)
- fire start and matches
- GPS
- Radio
- Flares
- rent a satellite phone, inreach, or spot.
- don't be shy ask groups in the parking lot or the cabin of you can tag along. Be up front with your riding level and comfort level. Someone always seems to be more then happy to tour newbies around.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180107-225350.jpg
    Screenshot_20180107-225350.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 484

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Other than #2. All common sense to some. I bought an Inreach and went out to familiar places and messaged a buddy to make sure it works properly. I ride alone a lot and it definitely pays to be prepared
A inreach won't help ya if your yard saled or in a avy alone and can't reach the inreach

Don't ride alone dude, just not worth the risk

Scotford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

DennyMoto

Reaction score
Just a thought, why doesn't the revy club put up some more signage for people to find their way back to the cabin. On socked in days it can be a challenge connecting back on the trail for the cabin without turning right too early.

Halon60

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A inreach won't help ya if your yard saled or in a avy alone and can't reach the inreach

Don't ride alone dude, just not worth the risk

I beg to differ. I think it is worth it. That being said. Things happen. No matter what you do. Just be prepared and have fun. Alone or with buddies.

Top Bottom