Bolder closed

Bulldog Racing

Reaction score
Not sure what to think here, as we can all look at this and say what should have been done. The honest truth is if we actually took an inventory of the majority of guys that head up the hill, most would not have the basics, let alone the required stuff to spend a night on the hill. If anything can be learned from this, is that take a good look in the mirror and see what you pack, then judge.

Halon60

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure what to think here, as we can all look at this and say what should have been done. The honest truth is if we actually took an inventory of the majority of guys that head up the hill, most would not have the basics, let alone the required stuff to spend a night on the hill. If anything can be learned from this, is that take a good look in the mirror and see what you pack, then judge.

Well said. Our group had a friend get lost last year and we all went through our packs and stocked up with what we really need. It was a real reality check.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Let's remember too folks. Even the packs they were wearing were rentals!

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm glad these guys were found ok! Think about the hierarchy of priorities you have... 1) Health - First Aid, Warmth, Shelter, Water, Food. 2) Communications - two way satellite phone or text, flares, proactive (eg letting loved ones know where you're going, radio channel, etc) 3) Self Recovery - tools, spare parts, ropes, pulleys, etc. Do yourself a favour and go through it in detail with you and your riding buddies as you can't carry it all, but between two or three you can come close. The last thing to remember is when it comes to food... bring enough for you and one other for 3 to 4 days. In real life if you have just enough for you and your buddy has nothing you will be sharing.... spent 3 1/2 days on an unplanned series of overnighters in '94 and learned a lot the hard way!

Bulldog Racing

Reaction score
Reading this thread has brought back many memories of the late 80’s, early 90’s up in Valemount. Some friends got lost in Allan Creek. Between the 3 of them they got out with one sled, and were fortunate to do that. We went and got the other sleds the next day. Afterwards we’re sitting in the room at the Sarak laughing about it and the one guy in our group thought it would be a good idea to pack a first aid kit the next time we came up to go riding. He was the laughing stock of our group for the rest of the winter. That being said starting to take my son to the hills and now realize how lucky we were back in those days. Go over prepared and hope you never have to use it.
Glad these guys are safe, and let’s really use this to re-evaluate our own groups and make sure we learned something from us old stupid guys that have been there and done that.

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well its easy to say they should've did this or that. I started riding revy in 86,we were close to there age. We never had packs, beacons never heard of them and probes unheard of. Even if you have all that stuff doesn't mean you'll make the night. If you have no basic skills of how to make shelter or get fire going probably gonna be tough. I think they did well for their level of experience. Its all good to say have all the equipment but I never started to carry anything of the sort till around 2000. I see lots of locals with minimal equip so it still happens today.

Top Bottom