Blew another QuickDrive belt

Staple_STI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good points. however none of those items should cause any driveline component to fail

Sure it shouldn't.. but anything can happen. Could just be a lemon sled.

Two belts for one guy and none for the 10+ guys I ride with on the same machines is all I'm saying.

Every brand has the odd lemon sled. Sucks when you get that one.. trade it off

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no offence, but how does one cause "operator error" on a snowmobile?

Lots of failures complained about on here could be chalked up to human error, regardless of the brand.

Like smokeing a belt when a track is stuck in the snow, or over heating, or cold seizures.

In the case of these drive belts, more often then not, it's a sudden shock load that leads to it's failure. People that treat these things like they are an Assault are setting themselves up for unhappiness in the product.

Sometimes, stuff does break with out any real cause. And yes, Polaris has there fair share of these problems.

Play more

Reaction score
we have 2 one a 2013 the other a 14 and ride with two others 2014 and no issues all season actually they look like new. We did have issues with the clutch side. Only got 500 miles on average with them but it was in the deep snow and I believe this was a heat issue with all the vents plugged with snow. Trying the arctic 048 and it seems to be working well.

hink320

Reaction score
Not gonna lie, the first belt last year was my fault. It was over cast and the light was flat that day and it was hard to see any depth in the snow, I was sidehilling, hit a big drift and got launched and I hit my chest on the bars causing me to pin the throttle when it landed and stripped the belt. Luckily they warrantied that belt because it turned out my jackshaft needed replacing. This belt that I just blew was literally on the trail, and I take it easy on the trail because I hate the moguls. The belt was cool enough that I removed it with my bare hands immediately after it blew. There were a couple instances over the previous couple days when I would brake going down the mountain and it sounded like the belt may have slipped. I also heard a clunking noise the odd time when I would brake going down a hill, and I don't remember ever hearing a clunk before so maybe my jackshaft bearing is on its way out again.

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
One thing people need to remember with these belts is NOT to grab a handful of brake flat out if you don't have to. The force required to get everything turning can be greatly exceeded if you lock the brake up. When you put CMX systems on the brake is relocated to the drive shaft which eliminates the belt having to stop the entire rotating mass and forward momentum of the machine.

I see failures like this in industrial settings all the time. If an Arial Cooler back spin preventer stops working and an 1800 RPM across the line motor starts it does the exact same thing. And don't get me started on BS of break in. Gates engineered these belts to perform, they don't need any special treatment but they do have some limitations people need to be aware of.

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we have 2 one a 2013 the other a 14 and ride with two others 2014 and no issues all season actually they look like new. We did have issues with the clutch side. Only got 500 miles on average with them but it was in the deep

snow and I believe this was a heat issue with all the vents plugged with snow. Trying the arctic 048 and it seems to be working well.[/QUote

That's me 2 blown 115 clutch belts in 600 miles on my 14 163 le.My quick drive belt looks like new. I'm one of those unlucky guys that got a lemon this year probably up too $1500 in warranty repairs. My quick drive has been one of my least issues. OP I would just get the updated 14 belt and new pully bolts and your probably good too go.I do try not to pound the brakes hard at speed thinking this has to put a lot of shock load onto those cog's.

hink320

Reaction score
Ya, i normally try to engage the clutch and have the engine start doing the braking before I grab the brake, but there were a couple times I had to do some emergency braking. Polaris definitely should have had the rotor on the other pulley.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I find it hilarious doo has to put an idiot proof break in mode to save their motors. Ooh look I'm at 35%. lol

Above 6000' the breakin restriction shuts down and you get full power on first ride (2014 model), below 6000' breakin mode is active which still leaves you at about 2HP more than the "full on" Poo:biglaugh::boink:

Last edited:

rmscustom

Reaction score
Above 6000' the breakin restriction shuts down and you get full power on first ride (2014 model), below 6000' breakin mode is active which still leaves you at about 2HP more than the "full on" Poo:biglaugh::boink:

There goes my buds excuse as to why stock Pros were whooping his 14XM.

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

It's all about power:weight ratio, Brah!! It doesn't matter before or after break-in... you still lose with a doo in that respect:D

Top Bottom