Blew another QuickDrive belt

hink320

Reaction score
I blew a belt near the end of last season, took it in to the dealer and they found my jackshaft and bearing needed replacing under warranty so they gave me a new belt under warranty. I have been on 3 trips to the mountains since then, and on my most recent one I blew the belt on the last day of the trip, on the way up the fresh groomed trail. I had stopped to wait for my buddys to catch up, when I went to take off I feathered the throttle like I always do so the clutch engages softly and immediately heard the belt strip. Luckily I carry a spare, replaced it quickly and rode the rest of the day. I'm taking it back into the dealer this week to have it checked over. I noticed on this trip that I started to hear a 'clunking' noise when I would brake going down hill so I wonder if my jackshaft isn't pooched again?

BlownQuickDrive_zpsbcabc85c.jpg

Last edited:

Korey

Reaction score
I blew a belt near the end of last season, took it in to the dealer and they found my jackshaft and bearing needed replacing under warranty so they gave me a new belt under warranty. I have been on 3 trips to the mountains since then, and on my most recent one I blew the belt on the last day of the trip, on the way up the fresh groomed trail. I had stopped to wait for my buddys to catch up, when I went to take off I feathered the throttle like I always do so the clutch engages softly and immediately heard the belt strip. Luckily I carry a spare, replaced it quickly and rode the rest of the day. I'm taking it back into the dealer this week to have it checked over. I noticed on this trip that I started to hear a 'clunking' noise when I would brake going down hill so I wonder if my jackshaft isn't pooched again?

View attachment 169638

Sounds to me like improper break in. ........

straightshooter

Reaction score
We had 2 out of 4 jack shaft failures in 2013 that's a good place to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Korey

Reaction score
Give it a rest, I babied it for 100 miles, which was pretty damn hard in the mountains. Get your head out of your ass.

Just my opinion was not at all rude to you so I don't appreciate your comment you arrogant azz hat. I broke mybelt proproperly on my 13 and not a single hiccup

hink320

Reaction score
Just my opinion was not at all rude to you so I don't appreciate your comment you arrogant azz hat. I broke mybelt proproperly on my 13 and not a single hiccup

I shouldn't have lashed out at you like that, but I found it offensive and pretty rude that you said it sounded like I didn't break it in properly when you don't have the faintest idea how I broke my belt in.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And I find it hilarious Polaris expects you to take it easy on your mountain sled after driving 1000+km to beat on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

rmscustom

Reaction score
I dont know anybody that broke in their belt. I know of zero 14 belt failures and the few 13s that I know of broke were from other issues (loose top pulley creating too much heat and taking out the bearing). Just stay away from extended high speed trail running the first time out.

Btw I know of 5 broken aftermarket belts this year... Good thing the belts are cheaper and easier to change.

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And I find it hilarious Polaris expects you to take it easy on your mountain sled after driving 1000+km to beat on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

At least Polaris gives you the option, unlike Doo who forces a 'break in' period. Thats hilarious.

Director

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Odd that it strips out all the cogs on the inside.. Figured if it was going to fail they would just break.. Could it be getting to hot from being close to your can and de-laminating? Noticed the outside of the belt wearing pretty bad on a ride but that was b/c ice built up underneath it and was wearing.. Guys are putting a lot of HP thru those belts and haven't heard of a bunch of issues..

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The damaged area looks just big enough to wrap around the drive pully. If so, I'm betting it has more to do with operator error then belt failure. Maybe I'm wrong.

no offence, but how does one cause "operator error" on a snowmobile? these things are supposed to be built to take absolutely anything you can throw at them. the only operator error in my opinion that can happen on a snowmobile is improper warmup of the engine in the morning. thats it..

Staple_STI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no offence, but how does one cause "operator error" on a snowmobile? these things are supposed to be built to take absolutely anything you can throw at them. the only operator error in my opinion that can happen on a snowmobile is improper warmup of the engine in the morning. thats it..

Off topic from this, but you could leave the brake on.. pretty sure that would be operator. Kick all the snow from your boards into the engine compartment and then it turns into a nice ice ball around the pulley, drive for an hour at full throttle to smoke the other belt, spin the track excessively with no load on the engine..

Shale I continue?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Off topic from this, but you could leave the brake on.. pretty sure that would be operator. Kick all the snow from your boards into the engine compartment and then it turns into a nice ice ball around the pulley, drive for an hour at full throttle to smoke the other belt, spin the track excessively with no load on the engine..

Shale I continue?

good points. however none of those items should cause any driveline component to fail

Top Bottom