Best skeg tire?

lightening1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have tried many tires also and i found the lightest best working tire in the skag is the zillas, they rip on my brute. just my .02

Attachments

• new brute force, rzr can, revy pic 008 [320x200].jpg
    new brute force, rzr can, revy pic 008 [320x200].jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 213

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Outlaws are the best skeg tire by far. I have tried every tire mentioned besides silverbacks but ride with some guys with them. I prefer the outlaw just seems to paddle instead of dig but they would be my secound choice. Mud bugs were a great tire in there time but I think zillas were much better. The xtrs and swamp lites were just junk in the skeg. Mudzilla and mudbitches are to heavy.
Buy yourself some outlaws and you will not regret it come the first skeg section you find.

You say that outlaws are the best but they would be your second choice? What would be your first choice?

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is oversimplified ....lol . There is no simple best tire.
Many factors come into it....Here are a few things to consider:
*Power of your atv
*Clutching of your atv
*Type of rider (aggressive with wheel speed or crawl over and try not to sink)
*Weight of machine
*Size of tire
*Skinny or wide
*Ground clearance

These are a few of factors that come into play.For example a little honda 450 with mud bugs goes pretty good IF it can stay on top ,does not have enough power to bury it self in a hurry. put 29.5outlaws on it ,useless.
IMO a 30/11 zilla goes better than a 27 inch outlaw ,if you got power you can spin the chit out of them and not sink too much .Plus you have more ground clearance and flotation. Put 29.5`outlaws on a popo 800 the front end is too heavy they just sink and plow,now put them on a Brute or a Outlander and they go great.....

See what i mean, not one tire is going to do it all for every bike/rider.
I am very happy with the 30/11 zilla`s F/R i run on my rzr, i was very happy with my 29.5 outlaws on my brute. Two very different machines...

I think there is more to it than one tire choice fits all.....IMO

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X2 for a 'Zilla. I got 28's on my XP and they do awesome in the snow. Can't wait to try 'em in the 'skeg.

Though after I lift my quad I think I'm going to a 30. The silverback looks good, and it comes in a 30 with a 14" rim. Unless Highlifter decides to make a 29.5 with a 14" rim.

grizzlymud

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is oversimplified ....lol . There is no simple best tire.
Many factors come into it....Here are a few things to consider:
*Power of your atv
*Clutching of your atv
*Type of rider (aggressive with wheel speed or crawl over and try not to sink)
*Weight of machine
*Size of tire
*Skinny or wide
*Ground clearance

These are a few of factors that come into play.For example a little honda 450 with mud bugs goes pretty good IF it can stay on top ,does not have enough power to bury it self in a hurry. put 29.5outlaws on it ,useless.
IMO a 30/11 zilla goes better than a 27 inch outlaw ,if you got power you can spin the chit out of them and not sink too much .Plus you have more ground clearance and flotation. Put 29.5`outlaws on a popo 800 the front end is too heavy they just sink and plow,now put them on a Brute or a Outlander and they go great.....

See what i mean, not one tire is going to do it all for every bike/rider.
I am very happy with the 30/11 zilla`s F/R i run on my rzr, i was very happy with my 29.5 outlaws on my brute. Two very different machines...

I think there is more to it than one tire choice fits all.....IMO

Lol thats why they come in different sizes. And if not clutched right not the tire its the owner. Laws don't need wheel speed they paddle nice slow.

jgonie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what about the new 29.5/14 terminator, thats is a tire I may wanna try next, a 12 wide would be nice

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First time i heard of these. They dont look to bad, I wounld like to see how well they work.

Attachments

• 644.jpg
    644.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 228

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First time i heard of these. They dont look to bad, I wounld like to see how well they work.

Look good except a few problems.

First off no wrap-around lugs
Second they don't look like they would self clean very well

The tread looks incredibly deep which I would love but they also look very heavy. I would love to take these our for a weekend and try them before I buy them. Sadly I don't think the tire companies would like that idea

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are said to be light somthing like 42lbs for the 29.5, and ya wrap-around lugs would be nice

QMAO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
would these have enough wrapped around the side wall for ya

Attachments

• BLACK MOMBA.jpg
    BLACK MOMBA.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 208

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They look cool but the 27's are 50lbs+ and a set of 30's are said to retail at $1300. Who could afford then let alone want a tire that heavy.

Twig

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My buddy had a set of these for a week and got rid of them, he burnt 2 belts in one day and broke an axle. 70 pounds for one single tire is so stupid. Think how much power your gonna loose no matter the clutch kit. So dumb!

Mad Outy Max

Reaction score
So if you were starting from scratch, new outlander 800 max, I am adding a dalton clutch kit, would you go 28" zillas with 12" rim or 14" rims. My quad does it all trails, mud, plows driveways, hauls wood & kids, I like the light weight of the zillas and I am not quit e convinced I need outlaws yet, Thoughts??:confused:

T-GUY1978

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Outlaw best skeg tire out there. Silverbacks are second but dig to much. Zillas don't even compete with backs or laws, kinda silly people are even comparing them as best skeg tire. For skeg mudbug beats zilla hands down. I have owned zillas mudbugs and outlaws. If your talking trail/mud then zillas should be in the conversation but not for best skeg tire. just my 2 cents

Sent from my pimpin iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On an underpowered machine, Law's are fun. On an Outty, you can break axles....you can also outdo underpowered machines with "real" mud tires while running a better all-round tire. For all-round good tires, I like the Zilla's, Mudbugs second. I've also had Laws, Zillas, and Mudbugs.

Top Bottom