Best skeg tire?

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What tire do you think performs best in Alberta Skeg? Other than a goodyear raft!

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any thing big and agressive, that will give some float, but it also takes a lot of technique. I find if you dont spin just let her bite you go right through, I would say zillas, outlaws, mud bitchs, one of then should work find i did hear the silver backs like to dig deep so probaly wouldn't be my first choice. I have been down some of the worst skeg trails in alberta and all i have is swamp lites work good for me as i do long trail rides as well as mud.

TGS

Reaction score
I've always run Bearclaws. Work well in pretty much everything and wear nicely. Only trouble is that they are quite a bit heavier then most of the newer styles. I've seen Swamp Lites work well, as wel as the Mud Lite XTR's. Not a fan of the Zillas though. I've run a lot of muskeg and to be honest its the rider that makes the difference, knowing when to get on the throttle and when not too.

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, the tire questions and spring isn't in the air just yet. I say start this one with a poll........i'm sure if you ask nicely the Mods will help ya out.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i am running mud bugs now and they are awesome. bite big, places where i would get stuck givin it with the blackwaters i had, i can now stop and take off again no problem.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i am running mud bugs now and they are awesome. bite big, places where i would get stuck givin it with the blackwaters i had, i can now stop and take off again no problem.

I had black waters hated them. I really do like my swamp lites just for a all around tire i would recomend them.

munhoez

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In a Dakota R/T, down by the South Sask. River
I had black waters hated them. I really do like my swamp lites just for a all around tire i would recomend them.

buddy's askin for a skeg/mud tire. If ur lookin for a pure mud/skeg tire, the only choice is outlaw.
What kind of bike they goin on?
IIs that bike clutched or stock?

I've seen alot of different tires rippin up alberta skeg when i was in cadomin.
Its all about skill when gettin thru that chit. Sure u can have the biggest baddest bike out there, but without skill ur just gonna dig ur self a hole.
Its all in the thumb.
When i was there the last two may longs, i was runnin 26" swamp foxes, on stock rims. Any tire with air in it will give ya boyance, i made it threw alot, and i was impressed with my tire setup.
Do alot of rewsearch on tires, make sure their 6 ply(most tires r these days, but have seen 8ply atv tires)
alot of ppl will cpommenrt on their tires , just read on and make a choice before the mud unthaws.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
buddy's askin for a skeg/mud tire. If ur lookin for a pure mud/skeg tire, the only choice is outlaw.

Its all about skill when gettin thru that chit. Sure u can have the biggest baddest bike out there, but without skill ur just gonna dig ur self a hole.
Its all in the thumb.
When i was there the last two may longs, i was runnin 26" swamp foxes, on stock rims. Any tire with air in it will give ya boyance, i made it threw alot, and i was impressed with my tire setup.
Do alot of rewsearch on tires, make sure their 6 ply(most tires r these days, but have seen 8ply atv tires)
alot of ppl will cpommenrt on their tires , just read on and make a choice before the mud unthaws.

:confused: read post 2 recomended outlaws, zillas, and mud bitch all agressive mud/skeg tires that give floation if you don't dig your self a hole. swamp lites for a all around tire as most people don't just live in the skeg.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Its all in the thumb.
ac500
dalton secondary spring and 17.5g rollers
airdam/// stage 1
dynojet
uni filter
still working on a pipe
26-10-12f
26-12-12r
mudlites

TGS

Reaction score
forgot about the ol' mudbugs. SOLID TIRE! Heavy, but really what mud tire isn't?

kingkris06

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
swamp lights in the skegg wasn't my favorite, they did ok (deffinatly have to watch the throttle control)but they were a little too aggressive and didn't have as much paddle as a mudlight / 589s.
outlaws have lots of paddle but like to dig

mud buggs/ bear paws usually the best

Brute Force Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My old xtr's worked very well, nice and wide with a good tread, I'm hopeing my new zillas work just as good or better.
I have a buddy that went from swamp lites to xtr's and said it was like night and day, the swamplites just dug holes in the skeg.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
outlaws. no other way to go. if you want the best skeg tire and a pure mud/skeg tire there the only choice.

Rockstarz

Reaction score
X4 on the mudbugs. one of the best tires before stepping up into the deeper lug tires like an outlaw or silverback

grizzlymud

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Used to run 27" Mud bugs would push out buddys on the Lite's then drive through. Now have 29.5" Laws and they go through everything, just have let the tire do the work. Backs dig in the soft stuff, the Laws paddle.

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Spent 5 weeks working in the skeg capital of the north America this fall and my 28" mudbugs got me through everything (or rather everything within reason, you'd need a fanboat for the rest of it). The only downfall I can find with them is sidehill traction but other than that, a first rate tire!

Top Bottom