Best scratchers that are NOT Ice Storm?

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Anyone experimented with the ski mounted scratchers?
Yes. I mounted them on my Polaris Gripper skis. I'll be taking them off before my next trip out. They have now deformed the plastic enough (and yes, I mounted them in the strongest possible spot) so much so, that they won't even sit on the snow anymore. They just pop back up onto the ski after riding 20 feet.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Yes. I mounted them on my Polaris Gripper skis. I'll be taking them off before my next trip out. They have now deformed the plastic enough (and yes, I mounted them in the strongest possible spot) so much so, that they won't even sit on the snow anymore. They just pop back up onto the ski after riding 20 feet.

I was thinking of making a bracket that bolts onto the ski bolt. A little L frame and just stick a bolt through it down into the trail with a pin to hold it in. I'm surprised the plastic doesn't rip right through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
I was thinking of making a bracket that bolts onto the ski bolt. A little L frame and just stick a bolt through it down into the trail with a pin to hold it in. I'm surprised the plastic doesn't rip right through.

I'd be interested to see your idea.

I've also heard that alot of people just ram a bolt down thru the back inside corner of the skis. That might be my next option.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep old imadooing used to do the old 3/8 bolt through ski and quick clip on either side, drill hole in ski corner

Pretty red neck for me, and don't think as much will get up with 3 inch track, they need to be as far forward in the skid to work the best

sent while drinking tea's

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I'd be interested to see your idea.

I've also heard that alot of people just ram a bolt down thru the back inside corner of the skis. That might be my next option.

cb6221c5c24a7c9510a3437af833ce77.jpg

Made a little doodle. The white is the L bracket, the yellow is the bolt, the blue is a washer, and the pink is a cotter pin.

I was going to go to scrap yard find some nice stainless. Cut a rectangle of material, drill two holes, one on each end, then bend into an L shape round off the corners so it's smooth so if it does catch on anything it will try and bounce off instead of catch. Remove the cotter pin from the ski bolt, remove the nut, and the washer. Replace the washer with the L bracket I made, reinstall the ski bolt nut and the cotter pin.

Now the L bracket will have a hole in it. You can go to the hardware store, buy a bolt, drill a hole in it install it into the bracket, stick a washer on it and the pin to hold it on. Quick and easy to install. Dirt cheap.

Pin like this
e2894cfd0eb42628eeeb2104aa6d6bf7.jpg

And a cheap low grade bolt like this
0f419b7957ceea5dc96f55ae99966d1f.jpg

Last edited:

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know I will be roasted for this, but this is my own personal experience. I have run trail blizzar cable style ice scratchers on my current 2 pros as well as my last nytro and found them to be very good scratchers. I buy the carbide cup tip models and they really seem to chew. Their design doesn't allow the scratcher to come loose like some others, and you can back up with out needing to make mental note of scratcher position. Another plus is that the carbide cups are replaceable on their own. Check them out, I am very happy with them and you may be too.

Personally not a fan of these. Had a set for my 2013 and they were just OK the first season, but got tired fast. Found that they don't put enough downward pressure to throw a decent amount of snow.
If you go with cable scratches, don't leave them in the up position for any length of time or for storage - they will eventually want to stay that way and won't even touch the snow when unhooked from your rails.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Personally not a fan of these. Had a set for my 2013 and they were just OK the first season, but got tired fast. Found that they don't put enough downward pressure to throw a decent amount of snow.
If you go with cable scratches, don't leave them in the up position for any length of time or for storage - they will eventually want to stay that way and won't even touch the snow when unhooked from your rails.

Stick the box end of a wrench around the cable and bent them back forward. I have cable scratchers and that tensions them back up. But I also agree don't leave them up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol I always would back up and bust them off aswell so I put a set of the new doo ones on as backup and now I always remember to lift them up before going in reverse. WHATS with that HA HA .Have had 2 sets of scratchers for 2 years now. The doo ones work but not nearly as aggressive.

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the ski mounted ones and yes they deform the ski but never over heat a 15 t3 174 !!!

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't care about the backing up part of the Ice Storm. In deeper, wet snow in the parking lot, they will bend. The part I like is how much snow they throw. Between the stock Polaris scratchers and the Ice Storm, side by side, there's no comparison. I had the cable scratchers on another sled and I couldn't make them bite hard enough.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't care about the backing up part of the Ice Storm. In deeper, wet snow in the parking lot, they will bend. The part I like is how much snow they throw. Between the stock Polaris scratchers and the Ice Storm, side by side, there's no comparison. I had the cable scratchers on another sled and I couldn't make them bite hard enough.
Like I said, nothing throws the same amount

Even my buddy with the doo skid ones and rsi ones both in skid, mine still has more snow inside and up the boards and tunnel with just ice storms

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have not had any issue's with my ice storm scratcher's that I haven't brought on myself. I have backed up a couple times with them down just off trail and bent them, but just bent them back,.. and as mentioned they throw a ton of snow. I wonder why people fail so many.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They did have a bad batch of them a few years ago, the company contracted to bent and make the spring made the bend out weak in the process of manufacturing

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170220/cb6221c5c24a7c9510a3437af833ce77.jpg
Made a little doodle. The white is the L bracket, the yellow is the bolt, the blue is a washer, and the pink is a cotter pin.

I was going to go to scrap yard find some nice stainless. Cut a rectangle of material, drill two holes, one on each end, then bend into an L shape round off the corners so it's smooth so if it does catch on anything it will try and bounce off instead of catch. Remove the cotter pin from the ski bolt, remove the nut, and the washer. Replace the washer with the L bracket I made, reinstall the ski bolt nut and the cotter pin.

Now the L bracket will have a hole in it. You can go to the hardware store, buy a bolt, drill a hole in it install it into the bracket, stick a washer on it and the pin to hold it on. Quick and easy to install. Dirt cheap.

Pin like this
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170220/e2894cfd0eb42628eeeb2104aa6d6bf7.jpg

And a cheap low grade bolt like this
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170220/0f419b7957ceea5dc96f55ae99966d1f.jpg

How do you keep the L bracket bolted to the ski bolt from turning? I feel you would need some sort of a stopper or second bolt to hold it there.
My findings also.

My ice storms worked the best so far. And I backed up and bent them right around a couple times. They go back straight ish with a little tweaking lol.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
How do you keep the L bracket bolted to the ski bolt from turning? I feel you would need some sort of a stopper or second bolt to hold it there.

My findings also.

My ice storms worked the best so far. And I backed up and bent them right around a couple times. They go back straight ish with a little tweaking lol.

82cb747ff8e9ccc8b47b4bcdfcf4c3bf.jpg

Never thought about it spinning to be honest. But could easily put a little lip over the top of the ski so it would hold on.

Did another doodle lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Simple, get them 2 bolts and quick clips

Drill 2 holes, one on either side of the inner corner ski depth

Drill hole in ski, set the bolt depth and ride

Throws snow like mofo

But I like skid mounted ones still

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Once they bend once or twice, they break. And then they don't throw very much snow.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How do they bend???

Don't friggin back up with them down in less that set up snow

Or don't back up at all like I do, simple

Top Bottom