Bearing behind top belt drive sprocket

Reaction score
As the title says, anyone else having this fail. My buddy and I both. His is apart at the shop and the bearing spun on the jack shaft, so they have a shaft on back order. They checked mine out and same problem, but never took apart to see if it spun on shaft. How I noticed it was there was a sound like a loose washer raddle I could hear. Anyone else ?!?

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
As the title says, anyone else having this fail. My buddy and I both. His is apart at the shop and the bearing spun on the jack shaft, so they have a shaft on back order. They checked mine out and same problem, but never took apart to see if it spun on shaft. How I noticed it was there was a sound like a loose washer raddle I could hear. Anyone else ?!?

well, at least its not catching fire.....yet

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Was it a lack of grease that caused the bearing to spin on the jack shaft?

Reaction score
Sealed bearing, no grease nipple to my knowledge....oh yah and 2013 163 pro. Around 600miles....was doing it for around 50-75 miles

andrew3399

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya they are sealed bearings but just wondering if maybe it had no grease to start with?
Both machines I have done the bearings are fine. It is like the jackshaft was not made big enough in diameter to fit properly and turn bearing. Instead spinning itself on metal surface and wearing out. Too soft material?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Both machines I have done the bearings are fine. It is like the jackshaft was not made big enough in diameter to fit properly and turn bearing. Instead spinning itself on metal surface and wearing out. Too soft material?
I wonder if it's not from deflection from the belt drive, making the upper pulley wobble or pull down on the jackshaft. there will be a lot more leverage on the shaft end under load with the wider belt compared to a narrow chain.

geo

Reaction score
Keep the top pulley bolt tight. It's the only thing that locks in the top bearing.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Keep the top pulley bolt tight. It's the only thing that locks in the top bearing.

That top bolt only keeps the pulley pressed to the side of the bearing, how can it stop the bearing from spinning on the shaft? Actually the tighter the bolt, the more side load in the bearing and the more likely it will bind and spin on the shaft. IMO. I could be wrong here but that is the way I see it.

geo

Reaction score
Many places the clamp on the inner race is what locks it onto the shaft. Chain case is a example. You slip the shaft in (not press fit) and tighten things up.

Side load from poor alignment,,, different story.

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That top bolt only keeps the pulley pressed to the side of the bearing, how can it stop the bearing from spinning on the shaft? Actually the tighter the bolt, the more side load in the bearing and the more likely it will bind and spin on the shaft. IMO. I could be wrong here but that is the way I see it.

No, the pulley will push against the brake rotor which will in turn push on the inner race only and if it is tight there is no way it can spin on the shaft. The outer race is held in place by the snap ring. It is amazing to me that with all the camera's that are on these phones no one has a photo of the actual failure. The video is great but please show us after it is apart as well so we can see if it spun on the shaft, seized and spun in the back plate or just failed the bearing. It would be really helpful. If the bearing is gone at 900 miles it is very poor quality or had no grease in it from the bearing supplier would be my first guess.

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Many places the clamp on the inner race is what locks it onto the shaft. Chain case is a example. You slip the shaft in (not press fit) and tighten things up.

Side load from poor alignment,,, different story.

The one on the lower shaft would have that collar for sure but you make a very good point, if the alignment is out and when you tighten the pulley you end up with a heavy side load on that style bearing it will fail very quickly.

andrew3399

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
photo 1.jpg photo 2.jpg photo 3.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: cs5

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is exactly what mine looked like. Make sure you get a new qd belt as mine grenaded right after getting everything fixed.

andrew3399

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is the bearing seized solid?
No bearing actually turns smoothly. I did pull the orange seal out and there is grease in there. You can actually press on the inner race and can spin the shaft inside the bearing.

Top Bottom