BC road closures.........wow

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I remember one winter 06 or 07 they were pulling trucks up the hill towards powder king from the PG side with a D7. Same winter it took me 7 hrs to go from PG to chetwynd, snow up to the bumper on the ol second Gen all the plow trucks must have been out sledding

Flapjack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I remember one winter 06 or 07 they were pulling trucks up the hill towards powder king from the PG side with a D7. Same winter it took me 7 hrs to go from PG to chetwynd, snow up to the bumper on the ol second Gen all the plow trucks must have been out sledding

Probably a lowbeder heading north unloaded a dozer, that's how the north rolls.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep we get a little snow here too.

Attachments

• CD554EAA-5602-4137-AC05-3294A2B1F9DA.jpeg
    CD554EAA-5602-4137-AC05-3294A2B1F9DA.jpeg
    100 KB · Views: 189

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take the ferry across. I bit longer but it should be open
Thought about that but we have now decided to split the trip in half with an overnight at Castlegar. Getting to old for a 7 1/2 hr drive turning into a 12 hr drive.

Now that I think about it, I’ve had 3 hr drives turn into 12 hr drives.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a huge difference between 25 years ago and now. Its not the amount of snow, its not the department of highways, its the amount of information we now get. 25 years ago there was no Drive BC websites, no notifications of road closures other than the newspaper and radio, and the vast majority of that was local. Back "in the day" we just drove until we had to stop. Then sat there wondering why we were stopped and how long we would be there.

Its the access of information.

Flapjack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's very true, it's also so predictable, if it starts snowing Fri afternoon, the roads are going to be bad all weekend.
I've been trucking up north in the patch for 20 and if they don't (they don't) start plowing when it snows the road is hooped until the next chinook. Hardpack un-level polished ice...
If the north got the snow I got this week here in the Koots and -35, forget about it.

Flapjack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So frustrating,
We collectively pay one way or the other for road matainence, property damage, injury, rehab, disability, all of it. 1 gazilion dollars/yr.

Of all those costs, it seems to me road maitainence is a bargin, not to mention the emotional trauma with injury/deaths. My niece survived a fatal head-on around Drayton about 6 weeks ago, the ramifcations are life changing for a lot of good people/kids, sand trucks are cheap.

As a society we can't afford not to take better care of us, and the roads.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a huge difference between 25 years ago and now. Its not the amount of snow, its not the department of highways, its the amount of information we now get. 25 years ago there was no Drive BC websites, no notifications of road closures other than the newspaper and radio, and the vast majority of that was local. Back "in the day" we just drove until we had to stop. Then sat there wondering why we were stopped and how long we would be there.

Was just talking about this the other day. Too much instant information

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Was just talking about this the other day. Too much instant information
I ask myself this and perhaps you can agree. Why is it our bush roads are in tip top shape when it snows but are public roads suck.
interfor has our 4 graders going non stop when it snow and my guys are out all night. I would think public safety should be the same. How many plows do you see on the road when the snowflakes fly.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think they just gave up on snow removal in the town of Revelstoke this year! Haha

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya never seen this many closures up here for avalanche. Not sure about everywhere else but this year the snow is so dry that it will not pack or create any type of stability

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes,,, the planet has experienced snow for 14.3 billion years and humans still battle with it all the time...

There is no such thing as closed roads if you own a snowmobile... Ha

Life is just that simple...

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ask myself this and perhaps you can agree. Why is it our bush roads are in tip top shape when it snows but are public roads suck.
interfor has our 4 graders going non stop when it snow and my guys are out all night. I would think public safety should be the same. How many plows do you see on the road when the snowflakes fly.
Having log trucks in the ditch costs Mills big money, having trucks in the ditch or sitting on the side of the road costs the province nothing...
If the province was responsible for the cost of trucks sitting because of piss poor roads ch!t would get done properly.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And if those using the road were responsible for the closures they cause by their own fault (driving off road, insufficient tires to climb or descend an inclined road, etc), maybe they would act differently.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Having log trucks in the ditch costs Mills big money, having trucks in the ditch or sitting on the side of the road costs the province nothing...
If the province was responsible for the cost of trucks sitting because of piss poor roads ch!t would get done properly.
This is where are leadership fails. You would think if they looked at what poor road conditions cause the province outside of industry moving forward things would change. I’m sure if you look at what ICBC puts out in repairs,claims, and injury and legal cost.
WCB must all so put out a ton on injuries and claims, these agencies are all owned and controlled by our government but instead they sit at the cushy desk and get paid no mater what.
We as Canadians need a change of government. A civil war or uprising is needed and our leaders need to be accountable for there actions.
This isn’t about road conditions it’s about public safety and those that want to save a few pennies.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And if those using the road were responsible for the closures they cause by their own fault (driving off road, insufficient tires to climb or descend an inclined road, etc), maybe they would act differently.
Again we hand out drivers licenses to everyone wether they can drive or not. Again this is a government agency, leadership failing. A good carpenter can’t blame his tools, a poor driver can’t blame his tires. You are a winter driver or your not.
Again leadership needs to make this right.
Can’t drive or operate a vehical the winter…No drivey …No License.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Again we hand out drivers licenses to everyone wether they can drive or not. Again this is a government agency, leadership failing. A good carpenter can’t blame his tools, a poor driver can’t blame his tires. You are a winter driver or your not.
Kinda like Friday, 30+CMS of snow and I'm trying to plow roads around dumbasses in minivans and smart cars stuck trying to get to the resort to ski.

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
T
True that, My truck currently has sh*t tires on it. Too wide and too hard/cheap compound for winter. Yet, I passed by everyone in the ditch. Sure it was sliding around a bit and had to pay attention, but kept it on the road. Thats with 700lbs of weight in the box. I will be putting on some studded Duratracs asap.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When she is snowing hard I cant wait to get to the bush roads. Much safer. Better maintenance, better communication.

Private road maintenance is about the contractor being able to make a profit, therefore they strive to meet the lowest level of acceptance. Between minimum wage paid snow plow drivers and dumb ass private citizens the highways can be a real thrill.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Difference between private and public sector, pay rates and road specs.

Top Bottom