BC road closures.........wow

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I counted 17 closures this morning from the Island to the BC/AB border and south of Kamloops. These range from avalanche control, avalanche debris clean-up, accidents, freezing rain on the Coq, and closure due to avalanche possibility.

IMG_7041.jpg

Reactions: RXN

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a good reminder that the nice things we have, like highways that allow us to move around the country, will very quickly disappear if we as a society lose our productivity.

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You don’t make money wearing out plow blades and having extra equipment on the road.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Drove into Kamloops from Edmonton yesterday. That was a long drive. 60km/hr between Valemount and Blue River. Couldn't pass. Couldn't see enough to.
Stopped in Blue for bathroom breaks. Lucked out highway was empty in front and behind us. Until just past Vavenby.
Caught up the slow convoy again. 60km/hr into Clearwater.

It sucked.

Flapjack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Road close? As a kid I never remembered it snowing …right. To many safety issues and lack of competent people to remove and maintain.
It really snowed a lot in the pre 80's,
I remember logging trucks driving through Salmo chained up and Revelstoke running out of food, no roads open for 4-days or so, saw pictures of revy in the 40-50's with stairs going up to the street because they couldn't get rid of the snow and windows dug out. (not drifts) The old timers were tough.

Reactions: RXN

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Drove into Kamloops from Edmonton yesterday. That was a long drive. 60km/hr between Valemount and Blue River. Couldn't pass. Couldn't see enough to.
Stopped in Blue for bathroom breaks. Lucked out highway was empty in front and behind us. Until just past Vavenby.
Caught up the slow convoy again. 60km/hr into Clearwater.

It sucked.
Shoulda stopped in Blue for a ride, there's a lesson there lol

Flapjack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The hwy crews want to work M-F dayshift,... they fall behind if it snows outside of those hours.

tripster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It also doesn't help getting rid of reliable avalanche control and replacing with choppers that cant fly in bad weather.

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We were planing on heading from Kelowna to Fernie tomorrow and just looked at Drive BC. Kootenay pass will be closed tomorrow for avalanche control from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm…right when we were planing on travelling. Fugggg.

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm working on one of them closed road doing 14 hours a day so some of us our trying, there's a chit load of snow in certain spots but we've been pushing for 3 day and made it 5 km

Attachments

• 20220108_133543.jpg
    20220108_133543.jpg
    399.8 KB · Views: 214
  • 20220107_151025_HDR.jpg
    20220107_151025_HDR.jpg
    350.7 KB · Views: 223

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm working on one of them closed road doing 14 hours a day so some of us our trying, there's a chit load of snow in certain spots but we've been pushing for 3 day and made it 5 km
Looks like a bush road, never seen a cat opening a hwy.

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's considered a class 2 hwy and designates bus route the last 10 kms are gravel due to steepness ,just had this conversation with the ministry of highways today .the problem rose due to the fact they never pushed the snow back far enough not taking into consideration that there was a ton more coming so the road is barely wide enough for a truck and 7 ft snow banks so we have to push everything over the bank or in-between the trees .oh and just so ya know we did the first 2 km on pavement so yes they do use cats.

Last edited:
Top Bottom