Battery won't last a week.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
So... On my 2015 m8000 ES, the battery won't seem to last a week without going dead. All I've done to it electrically is add a tether. Could that cause it? I THINK it was ok before the install. I fully charged the battery about a week and a half ago, then rode all last weekend at Renshaw/Bell, go to start it yesterday, and she barely turns over. Ideas?

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 13 has same kind of issue. I always make sure it's charged with my trickle charger to. I think these stock batteries are just junk...

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Disconnect your positive battery cable, put a dc ammeter in series with it and see if there's current going somewhere when your sled is not running.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If my 14 has been sitting in the cold for a week or more it either wont start or it barely starts with ES, frusturating for sure

Sent from my iPhone because I'm sledding or to lazy to get off the couch

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
My Canam quad can sit in my heated garage for months without starting and she fires up no problem. My sled can't make a week? There's gotta be something wrong. I'll try an ammeter next week. Any common issues tho?

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I do not have this issue with my 13, are you turning the key all the way off?

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does the kill switch ground the ignition? If you make sure the kill switch is off, does it still kill the battery?

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah. The tether has been off the sled since last Sunday, and barely started yesterday after reinstalling.
Try it with tether on and kill switch pulled up. My pro battery kept dying if I left the kill switch pushed in.

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try it with tether on and kill switch pulled up. My pro battery kept dying if I left the kill switch pushed in.

this could be it, both polaris and cat have normally open kill switches and tethers so they close the circuit to ground when pushed in.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca

this could be it, both polaris and cat have normally open kill switches and tethers so they close the circuit to ground when pushed in.

My Cat kill switch is a little different, in that it's an up/down rocker. So, are you saying that I should leave the tether ON, and the kill switch in the "RUN" position, the tether ON and the kill switch in the "OFF/KILL" position, the tether OFF, and the kill switch in the "RUN" position, or the tether OFF and the kill switch in the "OFF/KILL" position?

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
When I park mine, be it on the deck, or in the garage, I remove the key, remove the tether and leave the kill switch in the RUN position.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Cat kill switch is a little different, in that it's an up/down rocker. So, are you saying that I should leave the tether ON, and the kill switch in the "RUN" position, the tether ON and the kill switch in the "OFF/KILL" position, the tether OFF, and the kill switch in the "RUN" position, or the tether OFF and the kill switch in the "OFF/KILL" position?
on/run

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As good practice I always pull start my cold sled. Only use my electric when warm. Find this way it always works for me

mountianguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The kill switch, tether and ignition will be wired in series. So if your removing the key it wont make any difference what position the other switches are in. The amp meter is a good way to tell if there is a drain on the battery an amp clamp will work also. I would fully charge the battery and let it sit for a week with the cables off in the cold and measure battery voltage this will tell you the condition of the battery ie if its at 13.6V ish after charge and a week later its below 12.6V the battery is no good the battery needs to be above 12.6V. If you continue to crank on the starter with low voltage you will be replacing the starter or the contacts. If the battery is fully charged and still cant crank it over fast enough to start then the battery just doesn't have enough CCA. The CCA of a battery are rated at -18 C so if its colder than that the CCA will drop off. A few things to consider if you have questions pm me and i will help if possible good luck

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
will be out of camp tomorrow and by friday will try and figger out why battery is going dead

Top Bottom