Banshee VS Raptor

Ushkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So im moving from the 4x4 world into the sport world. I have a 4-5g budget and have been looking at banshees and raptors. Im leaning towards a banshee more but have been looking at the raptors too. What do you guys think? What are so pros and cons between the two. Why did you choose what you chose? Also any body know of any good deals?

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
They are both good & bad. Depends on where you do the majority of your riding. If your just ripping around AB, the Raptor would be the choice. Down in the States, a Raptor can't hold a candle, to a Banshee.

I bought my Banshee, because of the sound, and it matched my '93 WR 250. lol

drewski

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So im moving from the 4x4 world into the sport world. I have a 4-5g budget and have been looking at banshees and raptors. Im leaning towards a banshee more but have been looking at the raptors too. What do you guys think? What are so pros and cons between the two. Why did you choose what you chose? Also any body know of any good deals?

I myself bought a banshee because of a deal I couldn't pass up. If I were running mostly tight trails, I would get a 4-stroke. They have much more bottom end then a banshee. On the other hand, a banshee can be built to make more bottom end. My bike was bone stock when I got it, but shortly after it turned into an addiction. I ended up going with a 4mm crank and dune ported cylinders and now she has plenty of bottom end, and a crap load up top. There's not many quads out there that can touch my bike now. Also, if and when a 2-stroke breaks down, they are much easier to fix your self. I wouldn't trade my banshee for anything now that it's set up the way I like it.

Mikehunt

Reaction score
I would go with a 700 raptor the suspension is way better than a banshee. The newer raptors have piggy back shocks the are fully adjustable. The banshee is good if you like to go to the dunes

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It all depends on your riding style.

If you like balls out high screaming then go with the Banshee it's sure to leave a skid mark in your shorts from the sheer joy, this is an excellent moto x track machine.

If your looking for torque on the trails and hills then go with the Raptor, it'll also give you the dependability of the 4 stroke.

Not saying the Banshee's arent dependable just a little finiky and if you maintain them they are great also.

scoobienorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
personally i would get a 450 of whatever brand you prefer or find a deal on. the raptor suspension stock is not very good and the banshee is way to narrow and really dated suspension. not trying to cut down the banshees but really they were cutting edge back in the mid '80's but no denying the power they make, but power is nothing without the suspension and chassis.friend just bought a new 08 yfz 450 for $5600. pretty good deal in my books.

drewski

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
personally i would get a 450 of whatever brand you prefer or find a deal on. the raptor suspension stock is not very good and the banshee is way to narrow and really dated suspension. not trying to cut down the banshees but really they were cutting edge back in the mid '80's but no denying the power they make, but power is nothing without the suspension and chassis.friend just bought a new 08 yfz 450 for $5600. pretty good deal in my books.
I agree with this comment 100% BUT if you have the money to spend, A banshee will hold it's own against any 450 out there. The Aftermarket for banshees' is unbelievable. Even with the modified yfz 450 front end on mine along with the +4 extended rear axle with a re-valved duel rate rear shock, mine takes the whoops, jumps, and high speed cornering with ease. Now, if you have even more money to spend, you can have an even more responsive, plush ride. For example some PEP, Elka, or Ohlins shocks.........Well.....that's a later plan for mine at least!!!

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
A lot of good points being made here :d

Mine is p/p/p Stage IV Trinity Racing, 2 into 1 carb kit, laser cut on the I/d, street bike race clutch, and tranny parts, and blah blah blah..... I have never broke down on the trail, where I couldn't ride her out. I have pulled a lot of machines out, passed them on the trail/dunes, and in the air. And have never cased it.

A stock Banshee now, is identical to one built in '89(after they lost the J-arms, and went to A-arms). No different other than color. You can't beat the way a newer 4 stroke come's out of the box. The R&R in the past 6 yrs, by far out way's what Yamaha did in '87.

You have a lot to consider. Good Luck.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
here's mine, that hasn't seen any TLC, in the past 3 yrs. And she'll still spark, after 3 hit's.

Attachments

• DSCN0614.jpg
    DSCN0614.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 62

drewski

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

here is a decent banshee for a good price. Just throw the other 1500-2500 at it and you will have a nice machine!

2004 LIMITED EDITION BANSHEE 350 - Edmonton ATV For Sale - Kijiji Edmonton

Ushkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im fine with putting cash into either machine. I always like to make it my own. Prob ride this summer and then let the fun begin this winter lol. Some good replys so far, thanks guys! Track wise anything to say on either?

drewski

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im fine with putting cash into either machine. I always like to make it my own. Prob ride this summer and then let the fun begin this winter lol. Some good replys so far, thanks guys! Track wise anything to say on either?

If you are going to be racing your quad, go with a yfz 450. the raptor in my mind has a high centre of gravity and won't corner as well as a quad with low centre of gravity. Once again the banshee will only be as good as you make it. The geometry of the banshee is out dated and one of the main reasons people don't use them in MX......Rider fatigue just isn't an option in racing. There are things you can do to make it race ready though. Suspension,steering stabilizer, steering stems OH and maybe a 250r geometry frame swap!!! It's all possible with the cash. You might want to have a look at this site Banshee HQ Forums Tons of good info about the banshee here.

flying frenchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Banshee all the way. Even well set up stock Banshee will eat up 450s and Raptors. Throw on some pipes and an air cleaner and the fun factor doubles. Get a stroked crank and porting then, WoW you'll love your bike.Sure the shocks aren't as good as the 450s but the seat makes up for it. People always spend money on their quads so little upgrdes always make things better.
Raptor or 450 sure are great quads but I have a 450 and people say they're great trail quads but the thing is the seat is like sitting on a 2x6 OUCH!!!. Also your always shifting gears,where a well set-up banshee just grab a gear an rev it out a little more if you need more it won't hurt it cause they like to rev. When Raptors and 450s blow up Big$$$ to repair, not just parts but ways more labour involved add them up and you'll wish you never bought one .Sure they have good torque but when your doing a big climb even with 50-60 hp they just can't do it.
$ for $ you will get way more power from from a 2 stroke than you will a 4 stoke and the 2 stroke will be way more reliable. I would say if your only spending X amount of $ there are alot of banshees for sale out there with pipes already on them for a good price and theres nothing wrong with them , the poor guy just has no time to ride it and loses interest and sells it .
Whatever you decide they will both be good quads. Good luck and have fun.:):)

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you are going to be racing your quad, go with a yfz 450. the raptor in my mind has a high centre of gravity and won't corner as well as a quad with low centre of gravity. Once again the banshee will only be as good as you make it. The geometry of the banshee is out dated and one of the main reasons people don't use them in MX......Rider fatigue just isn't an option in racing. There are things you can do to make it race ready though. Suspension,steering stabilizer, steering stems OH and maybe a 250r geometry frame swap!!! It's all possible with the cash. You might want to have a look at this site Banshee HQ Forums Tons of good info about the banshee here.

Cool site. Thanks :rolleyes: :beer: :beer: :d

ghglenn

Reaction score
It is like comparing apples to oranges.

The Raptor 700 (2006-present), is the king of the trails, hands down. Tons of torque, nice handling considering the powerplant, and Reverse (nice feature). Pipe, intake, and programmer, and it wakes up even more without making the motor work much harder. It is the Cadillac of sport quads. Fun, impressive power, can ride all day, but not mind numbing power, and would not consider it "nimble" on the track or in the air, but not bad. The 660 is not the same as the 700, by a long shot.

The Banshee, is aptly named, because it screams with power:eek:, think wheelie in every gear. It's geometry/feel is dated (compared to modern sport quads), can be altered to ride better (more like a Raptor or YFZ). It is easier to work on than four stroke (no cams or valves to deal with). If you leave the motor stock it isn't too bad to rebuild, but if you do motor work...that change$ $ome:p. My banshee was fun to ride in the dunes, not too bad on open trails, and pretty difficult to keep happy in tight stuff (lots of clutch feathering). Fortunately, it was mainly duned, where the Banshee is king.

The YFZ, my current ride, (piped, intake, YZ timing), has been the most surprising thus far. Lots of power, torque at the bottom, but revs high on the top, compared to the Raptor. Not as forgiving in tight trails as the Raptor (luggable), but not even close to the effort the Banshee took. No Reverse (grab bar,lol). Super fun on the track, in the air, in the wide open. Doesn't feel as fast as my Banshee, but pulls way harder (more traction, less tire spin), useable power (typical result of 2 stroke vs 4 stroke, you feel you are going slower, but your lap times are faster?). Requires more maintenance, valve adjustment seasonally, change oil frequently, and just more lovin'. Feels small to riders over 6' 2"ish, can be changed with longer stem, taller bars. My favorite ride to date.

I don't know if this will help, but it has been what I have experienced. If it was just between the top two, I would take the Raptor. That being said, I don't think you could be wrong with either quad, but I wouldn't trade you for my YFZ.:nono:

Ushkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After sitting on banshee headquarters for multiple hours at work :nono: Ive decided to go with a banshee. Thanks everyone for some informative info. It was all greatly appreciated. Ive thrown a few offers out into the world of kijiji and hopefully look at a few tomorrow and fri. Thanks guys!! Hopefully see you all out there somewhere

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
After sitting on banshee headquarters for multiple hours at work :nono: Ive decided to go with a banshee. Thanks everyone for some informative info. It was all greatly appreciated. Ive thrown a few offers out into the world of kijiji and hopefully look at a few tomorrow and fri. Thanks guys!! Hopefully see you all out there somewhere

Depending on what your looking for in a Banshee. I would consider, letting mine go. Have a couple extra set's of tires on rims (ice & sand). and so many other thing's for owning it for the past 15 years.

PM me if your interested, and how much looking to spend.

drewski

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Right on! you will like the banshee for sure! If you happen to see a red rocket fly by you at 150kph that sounds like an indy car, that's me lol. See you around and good luck.

Ushkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Right on! you will like the banshee for sure! If you happen to see a red rocket fly by you at 150kph that sounds like an indy car, that's me lol. See you around and good luck.

I def want to see this thing out this summer. Maybe when i have a handle of the thing we can go ridin somewhere. Have to get my feet under me first, many years in the mud on a 4x4 but not as much rippin a quad through the trees/dunes lol

drewski

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I def want to see this thing out this summer. Maybe when i have a handle of the thing we can go ridin somewhere. Have to get my feet under me first, many years in the mud on a 4x4 but not as much rippin a quad through the trees/dunes lol

PM me when ever you want to go.

Top Bottom