Backcountry or Freeride ?

puddle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would like to spring check a Backcountry or a Freeride and could use some advice.
90% of my riding is every weekend around Buck Lake. I've got a lake property. There is always a couple of feet of snow in the area, every year. I would like to further extend my riding to the mountains and play in the pow a few times a season -not into high marking.... yet.
I was willing to get into the Backcountry, but now considering options.
Is the Freeride's 2 1/4" track too aggressive for rough trail? Is the 154 too long for trail riding? Should I compromise on a 146?
I've got 3 years or so of experience. Last couple of years on a 09 Nytro xtx. It's time to drop 100 lbs and learn how to play with a 800 e-tech.
Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Should I consider a Summit and forget the Freeride? Like I mentioned, I want to play on and off trails more than hill climb

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would go with the freeride, and 154......I ride 154 summit and have ridden the flatland and no issues thus far.....You wont like the backcountry in the mountains

dbar7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dont bash the backcountry in the mountains thats forsure... I have a 2010 renegade backcountry x last year I took it to the mountains on 4 trips did great then i could still have a sled for back home in sask. I moved to bc this year so i extended to a 146 x 2.25.... Does great im gonna be snow checking a free ride 146 2.5 so i can get the best of both worlds..

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
never rode a free ride but i know the back country is super nice ride, if most riding is the flats i would go with the backcountry jmo.

Oilboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Summit X with the 146 or 154, if your not jumping or pounding the crap outa the sled you dont need the freeride, save the 2g and buy other goodies. i have ridden 154 and 163's on the flatland for the last 4 years they work great, longer the track the smoother the ride, and then when you do go to the mtns you will have a blast b/c you have the track to go where you want

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Backcountry for sure considering the majority of your riding if it was the other way around hands down freeride.JMO:d:beer:

Smurff1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Free Ride if it was a darker color...

I have a 2010 backcountry x 137" Black,
not good at all for going down big hills!!! up it goes good.

I also have long tracked my slet to a 146 2.25 and love it...
and having the clicker shocks are great.

If you are not alittle crazy Bigger is better ie. you have to drive a shotter track harder in the Mountains, I wish i had a 154 or bigger for the Mountains, I have only gone twice this year and the 146 is ok but when playing the trees need more...

just my 2 cents

Attachments

• 146 - 1.jpg
    146 - 1.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 294

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
If you ride hard around buck lake....freeride 137 with the 1.75" track.
If you ride easy...backcountry 137 with the 1.75" or 1.5" charger track (new).

These are sleds with MXZ rear suspensions and can handle anything you can throw at them. You have to own one to believe how nice they ride and how many adjustments you have to suit your riding style.
The freeride is expensive but you will not have to upgrade that chassis as it is made to be pounded.
Mountain sleds are fine but not as much fun where you intend to ride 90% of the time.
I bought another renegade with the 1.25" track this year and it has put all the fun back into sledding this year for me. (3250km's) The snow is setting up in the mountains now and you can get away with a 121 and the renegade with its 75 mph track speed will get you around.....lol
My summit 154 was always a compromise when riding the prairies. Nothing beats a renegade around here.....the freeride or the backcountry would each be nice rides for you. Remember, your spending $14000.....buy a sled you can enjoy every time you go.....

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i OWN A 2010 BACKCOUNRTY VERY IN IMPRESSED JUST OVER 1000K.M IN LOCAL TRAILS FOUND SOME WILD POWDER NEVER HAD PROBLEM WENT PLACES WHERE OTHER PEOPLE JUST SHOOK HEAD TURN AROUND

puddle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would like to spring check a Backcountry or a Freeride and could use some advice.
90% of my riding is every weekend around Buck Lake. I've got a lake property. There is always a couple of feet of snow in the area, every year. I would like to further extend my riding to the mountains and play in the pow a few times a season -not into high marking.... yet.
I was willing to get into the Backcountry, but now considering options.
Is the Freeride's 2 1/4" track too aggressive for rough trail? Is the 154 too long for trail riding? Should I compromise on a 146?
I've got 3 years or so of experience. Last couple of years on a 09 Nytro xtx. It's time to drop 100 lbs and learn how to play with a 800 e-tech.
Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Should I consider a Summit and forget the Freeride? Like I mentioned, I want to play on and off trails more than hill climb

thanks for the info. I would consider myself aggressive trail. You know, the one who goofs off, on the trail.

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dont bash the backcountry in the mountains thats forsure... I have a 2010 renegade backcountry x last year I took it to the mountains on 4 trips did great then i could still have a sled for back home in sask. I moved to bc this year so i extended to a 146 x 2.25.... Does great im gonna be snow checking a free ride 146 2.5 so i can get the best of both worlds..

A buddy in our group bought the backcountry this year. He took my Summit for a rip while we were in Clemina and he wishes he bought the Summit.....Just my 2 cents from his take

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for the info. I would consider myself aggressive trail. You know, the one who goofs off, on the trail.

154 Backcountry will be fine on the trail and will handle the mtn when you go jus sayin:beer::d

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
grab a summit x 146, unless you go big and really giver in the trail whoops you do not need the FR...

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I decided on the freeride. Was looking at the renegade before I rode this winter and glad I bought an older summit first to get riding and find out what I like and need. I have ridden long tracks a little bit on the trails and they do fine. But to ride a shorter track in the deeper stuff is alot harder. I also wanted the better suspension and beefed up tunnel on the freeride over the summit.

Nitrobkr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride buck lake alder flats area alot too as well as the mountains. I currently ride a rev but sno checked a freeride 154 last week and I know I won't be disappointed it will work great out there!

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why do people waste my time by bringing up old posts like these. I was going to answer but wait. I already did almost 2 fricken years ago!!

Top Bottom