Avalanche Education - your thoughts

Zacs

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Website
www.zacstracs.com
Great discussion! Totally agree that any training is quickly lost if it isn't applied and updated from time to time. New tools can always be added to the toolbox. You'll never know when they'll come in handy.

A few of us sled AST instructors are in Banff this week for the 2014 ISSW (International Snow Science Workshop). It is a week-long conference that is held every couple of years in the US or Canada. I believe there are ~800 avalanche professionals from all around the world (commercial operators, guides, educators and researchers from 20+ countries I think). This is the 5th ISSW that Zac's Tracs has been to since 2002 (Penticton, Lake Tahoe, Whistler, Alaska, Banff) We've probably been to 13 years of Canadian Avalanche Association spring meetings/workshops as well (wow...I am feeling really old right now!)

It is a gift to come to sessions like these and learn from everyone's experiences, good and bad. Accidents cost a lot emotionally and financially and the investment in time and money for us to keep our avalanche training up to date is peanuts in comparison. Just ask anyone that has lost family or friends.

Workshops like these change how we ride and how we teach.
Some of this info is applicable to the AST1, however the majority relates better to programs like the AST2 and Zacs '1.5'.

If anyone is curious about what’s new in the avalanche world consider upgrading. Check out these links for full details:

Zacs '1.5' is an opportunity to apply skills learned in the AST1 class through a 4 hr workshop
Dates available in Calgary, Edmonton, Regina, and Saskatoon

Zac's has teamed up with Amber and Chris Granter of Trigger Point again to offer 4 options for the AST2 in Revelstoke and Valemount. (Quick note: one of the options is a split class with a couple days in early January and a couple days in early February. Take advantage of the opportunity to train in two different snowpacks and weather systems.)
The AST2 is a field based course to apply and expand the intro skills learned in the AST1... making field observations, stability assessments, judgement calls, route selection, group management and companion rescue. Intermediate to advanced riding skills are required to participate.

Both of these programs have options for custom classes if you have a group interested and our dates don't work.

We're super passionate about sharing this information. Let us know how we can help get more people involved!

Zacs

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Website
www.zacstracs.com
At the ISSW’s over the years we have made connections with other instructors from Canada, US/Alaska, Sweden and Norway. We are always brainstorming about new ways to teach avalanche safety and skills to snowmobilers. Share your ideas. I'd love to pass them along!

• What do you think is important to teach in snowmobile specific classes?
  • What is missing from the AST series of classes?
  • What resources from Canadian Avalanche Centre : avalanche.ca do you find useful? (If you haven’t been on their website recently check out all the new products under these tabs “Bulletins” and “Pre-Trip Planning” )
  • What content or skills already in the AST programs could be given a higher priority?
  • Should tests (classroom and/or field) be a part of the AST1 or AST2? Should a ‘passing grade’ be required for a certificate?
  • Should courses be mandatory? (tough to enforce and not everyone has access to classes…that said random enforcement might be effective enough and with more demand for training it is very likely that existing or new instructors will make the journey to interested communities to deliver the courses)
  • Should there be recommended refreshers like First Aid? If so, how many years between refreshers?

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great questions! Here are my responses.

What is missing from the AST series of classes? What's after AST2? I am doing mentoring days with Soulrides to keep my training up, but I feel like there's nothing out there (refresher type training) for people who have completed the AST2. I don't believe going to the operations level would be in my best interest. I'd love to see some sort of standard course for AST1 &/or 2 students that is completely field work with group discussions afterwards.
What content or skills already in the AST programs could be given a higher priority? Practice practice practice! The more real life scenarios where you have a lot going on around you, people screaming etc really show you how easily it is to get distracted and thrown off your game.
Should tests (classroom and/or field) be a part of the AST1 or AST2? Should a ‘passing grade’ be required for a certificate? Yes, simply showing up should not be adequate, we should have to have prove competency.
Should courses be mandatory? (tough to enforce and not everyone has access to classes…that said random enforcement might be effective enough and with more demand for training it is very likely that existing or new instructors will make the journey to interested communities to deliver the courses Not many people will like this answer. However, with the amount of terrain that sledders covered, I believe that yes it should be mandatory. An AST2 should be the standard, I found the AST1 to be fairly basic, but the AST2 course taught me a lot and really opened my eyes. Offer that course over 2 weekends instead of 4 consecutive days during the week and you may see more people willing to take it.
Should there be recommended refreshers like First Aid? If so, how many years between refreshers? Every 3 years such as any other safety certification would be great.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the recent enrolments in AST1 in the last 5 years have drastically reduced the annual sledder fatality rate.

No offence, but your post sounds like AST1 isn't worth taking.

AST might not make you smart, but it makes you more aware of your surroundings and how you decide on your day.... at least it does for my group.

AST doesn't make you smart. I've ridden with a bunch of people who haven't taken the course who are very safe in the backcountry and make conservative decisions. A two day course doesn't make you an expert. There have been plenty of people who are experts get killed so a couple day course is just scratching the surface.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the recent enrolments in AST1 in the last 5 years have drastically reduced the annual sledder fatality rate.

No offence, but your post sounds like AST1 isn't worth taking.

AST might not make you smart, but it makes you more aware of your surroundings and how you decide on your day.... at least it does for my group.
Problem is there are many people that don't use what they are taught in ast...

Ignore it or peer pressure over rides it

Reaction score
Website
www.elkvalleysnowshepherds.com
I think it is important to note that ANY avalanche safety training course (thus some degree of awareness or acceptance that there is avalanche risk posed while snowmobiling) is a step in the right direction. The two day AST Level 1 course is designed as the first step for recreational backcountry users to teach awareness of what avalanches are, what tools and resources are available to guide decision making, familiarization with avalanche safety equipment (there are people out there that still think a SPOT or an App on their iphone is an avalanche transciever!), and how to initiate a companion rescue.

The four day AST 2 Course is where people start using their medulla oblongata to gather observational information, test those theories on a micro scale before perhaps heading into larger terrain, and, the big key here, make informed decisions. It should be stressed that in the outline for both courses it stipulates a learning objective of "understand the limits of your training". Sounds like your guy on the chair totally understood that the limit of what input and result he put into his course...not much.

Take an AST course or a companion rescue refresher course, and practice frequently with your riding buddies. You will never regret it. If there are any riders our there looking to get your kids sleducated: Elk Valley Snow Shepherds is just finalizing the details on providing a FREE SLED YOUTH AST Course in Fernie in December. It looks like it will be a great backcountry safety weekend with a BBQ, sled demos, demos on the latest and greatest avalanche safety equipment, a helicopter rescue familiarization and a couple of other events. We will post further details here within the next few weeks so keep checking back or you can watch our facebook or twitter pages for details.

Top Bottom