avalanche awarness

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
went to the avalanche awareness seminar in red deer last night(nov 16) sheeeeet, what an eyeopener. recommend you attend. avalanche burial demonstration may put the fear of death in your mind.
if you are buried, you rely on your buddy 101%. if he has no training or not practiced enough, a 5 minute burial is a looooong time. and 5 minutes is usually short.

no excuses get the training and practice, your life will depend on it.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
didn't count but looked like 30+. sorry i didn't think to give you a call, got out at 10. good info, sounds like bc may be looking at big backcountry regulations, high risk means no backcountry access..

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
didn't count but looked like 30+. sorry i didn't think to give you a call, got out at 10. good info, sounds like bc may be looking at big backcountry regulations, high risk means no backcountry access..

No worries, was too late for me anyway, I had to get up and shovel your driveway remember:mad:

Erin H

Reaction score
Good Avy courses going on all over the place. The Black Tusk Club is hosting 2 courses in January. Both courses are 2 days and pretty intense. The instructor, Niko, is awesome and he relates really well to sledders.

For more info, contact info@btsc.ca

Thanks

Attachments

• Alpine Safety 2011 brochure[1].pdf
    65.5 KB · Views: 69

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did they say the "no access" applied to all users, or just sledders?

didn't elaborate on just who, but that was the idea. they were suggesting that we join a club so that they the asa will have the numbers to fight the crap coming.:beer:

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I took the Hangfire course in Sundre last week. I agree these are great classes and a real eye opener. I have be riding the hills for a long time and thought i knew it all. Boy was i wrong. Everyone should take a class

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I took the Zacs Tracs 8hr course on Sunday it was certainly an eye opener, have to do the field portion yet in Dec.

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wife and I were there that night in RD too. Damn it was hard after a 5 min exercise, wife pushing on chest, and trying to breath through a straw. A real eye opener for sure, I think were are in for AST1 for Nov 27. And they say join a local club to get the member numbers up so we all can continue to enjoy Back Country Access. I didn't know of an Eckville club, only knew there was the Caroline club. Can anyone chime in on who to contact for Eckville club, web site or other, thanks!

SnoPro_78

Reaction score
Wife and I were there that night in RD too. Damn it was hard after a 5 min exercise, wife pushing on chest, and trying to breath through a straw. A real eye opener for sure, I think were are in for AST1 for Nov 27. And they say join a local club to get the member numbers up so we all can continue to enjoy Back Country Access. I didn't know of an Eckville club, only knew there was the Caroline club. Can anyone chime in on who to contact for Eckville club, web site or other, thanks!

Were oes a guy find more inf on the course thats comin on the 27? oh and here's a question. Why isn't there a club here in Red Deer. I know alot of sledders that would join and be faithful yearly members including myself. I guess next question is how do we start a club?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

so your one of the lucky guys who got to push on a womans chest for 5 minutes. meeting was an eye opener wasn't it, all i can say is good luck being covered in an avi. :beer::d

frigin not enough women.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Were oes a guy find more inf on the course thats comin on the 27? oh and here's a question. Why isn't there a club here in Red Deer. I know alot of sledders that would join and be faithful yearly members including myself. I guess next question is how do we start a club?

look up the red deer suds riders in the group section, lots of riders that are always going riding somewhere.
eckville club includes red deer david thomson snow riders.

friggin red deer suds.

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
didn't elaborate on just who, but that was the idea. they were suggesting that we join a club so that they the asa will have the numbers to fight the crap coming.:beer:
I would think joining a BC club would be the best bet for the back country access issue, in addition to the local club here. Not sure which one to join though. Any suggestions out there? If joining helps I'm for it, but will they consider Albertans that join BC clubs an increase in numbers that they requre?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
all members should be counted as club members. i think they are looking at numbers, not addresses. BC clubs definitely need the numbers to fight those that want no backcountry activity at all. alberta is going to have the same problem, club numbers count, pretty soon you will only be able to ride on private property, if the green groups have there way. as it is there are only 4 areas we can ride west of forest trunk road in the alpine areas west of rocky. ab memberships are cheaper before jan1 i think.

friggin tree huggers

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I guess the time for talk is over and it's time to start joining. I'll do so and advise those that I ride with to do the same if this is what it's going to take. Hopefully it works.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah i'm one of those that haven't joined may have to send my money in.:beer:

friggin no money

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There will be new regulations in B.C. after the disastrous avalanches last season. It is only obvious that now the government has felt the need to step in and ramp up the restrictions to the backcountry. While I couldn't find a recent article explaining these new tighter laws, I did find this excerpt for the Canadian Press from last March:

"B.C. Solicitor General Kash Heed said the province is moving ahead with a plan announced last fall to register all B.C. off-road vehicles, including snowmobiles, by November 2011 and implement safety measures such as mandatory helmet use.

But there are no plans to restrict access to the back country, he said.

"At the end of the day, these people that make the decision on their own to go into that back country and engage in the behaviour that they're engaged in right now is something that no matter what we do as a province, it's going to be difficult for us to control and regulate," he said."

I don't know for sure what the B.C. government has planned....I know it isn't good. What I do know is that sledders that go to the mountains need to start getting educated about avalanche safety. We had too many incidents in B.C. last season and I'm positive if those people would have been aware of the dangers they would have chosen not to ride where they did. Please take an AST 1 course at a minimum before you ride this season!!

In B.C. we are fighting closures to many of our favorite riding areas already, whether it be from the Mountain Cariboo, or heliskiing operations....we sure don't need any more restrictions!! Another word of advice.....if you come riding to B.C. from other provinces, support us by buying memberships at the clubs where you ride. This helps keep the areas open that you love to come ride every season, and provides clubs the funds necessary to maintain trails, cabins, etc.

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good Avy courses going on all over the place. The Black Tusk Club is hosting 2 courses in January. Both courses are 2 days and pretty intense. The instructor, Niko, is awesome and he relates really well to sledders.

For more info, contact info@btsc.ca

Thanks

Ive taken the 2 day course with Niko,very informative,very sled related plus it was fun at the same time,Id recomend him as a trainer,great guy.Id been sledding for years but I sure learned alot,so get out and take a course everyone so we can limmit the amount of dead this year.

Top Bottom