Attention....how many more have to die...

smkngstv

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nothing need to be said. Didn't mean that to sound like an insensative insult but was questioning your remark that even with the benefit of hind sight you would likely have made the same descision?

like i all ready said,we belived it to be safe,i am keeping it real no bs...i said that remark because we all belived it to be safe ,dont know what else to say

hughie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for the photo ...this is the way I see it :)

and that hill hasn't slid for 26 years judging by the trees ....but I could spend 3 hours banging at this one

agoodclimb.jpg
[/IMG]
not sayin its right, but I know who's track that is and that hill hasn't slid in my 18yrs of going to lucille, but there always is a first time

Mongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
like i all ready said,we belived it to be safe,i am keeping it real no bs...i said that remark because we all belived it to be safe ,dont know what else to say

You've said enough and your sincerety is painfully obvious. I only hope that what you passed along will reach just one rider and prevent another death or injury. I'm personally drained by the anquish that all families are suffering right now & just hope your comments are heeded.

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not sayin its right, but I know who's track that is and that hill hasn't slid in my 18yrs of going to lucille, but there always is a first time

I hate to say this, some will probably disagree, but looking at that pic I have to say that hill slides quite often. It is full of broken up busted up trees, and they are sparse. A hill that does not slide has heavy mature trees all over it. Those trees that are standing on the hill are also small, not that old. All this tells me the trees are getting a beating on a regular basis year after year.

Calg_Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, I have only been offline for a day or two and look at the tension in this thread. I think instead of debating the specifics of riding in a specific area or climbing a particular hill we should focus on adjusting our caution level to all of our riding. We all know to stay away from the big slopes, cornaces and runout areas right? Well maybe we should up the paranoid meter a bit and question even the most well known areas. If what they say is true its the worst its been in 100 years so our sport has never been exposed to this senario before. None of us can accurately predict what slopes will and will not slide this year - except maybe to say that most will sooner or later.Its already cost us too much, lets cut our losses and stay safe.

We all want to go have some fun, me included. I am already 5 trips down from last year. Does it suck - yeah but thats life so long as we are indeed still alive.

xtremegriz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If what they say is true its the worst its been in 100 years so our sport has never been exposed to this senario before. None of us can accurately predict what slopes will and will not slide this year - except maybe to say that most will sooner or later.Its already cost us too much, lets cut our losses and stay safe.

You hit the nail square on the head with that comment

xtremegriz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With the conditions this year......I would only ride the last pic, but thats just me.:twocents::thumbsup2:

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We all need to play it safe this season.....there is that really unstable layer that was laid down early in the season and it makes ALL hills suseptable to slide. EVEN ONES THAT LOOK SAFE, OR ONES THAT HAVEN'T SLID IN THE PAST. Please all my fellow sledders, please don't give our sport a chance to be outlawed, stay out of the mountains even if it means missing the rest of the season. There has been far too many deaths, and slides that we don't even hear about on the news. There is tons of low elevation riding that can be just as fun as climbing, go find the powder in those old logging clearcuts, old logging roads, etc.....be safe and live to ride another day!!

Scotford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With the conditions this year......I would only ride the last pic, but thats just me.:twocents::thumbsup2:

I totally agree..... I too would only ride in the last pic....H2..you are second guessing yourself...go back to your original response were you agreed that this season ALL SLOPES ARE NOT SAFE... know you are showing pics of slopes and saying these are safe....and you would ride these slopes anyhow...THIS IS NOT HELPING....This season like many have said here there are no slopes that are safe.... just this past weekend a group of guys where in Kakwa and said that ch!t that has never slid is SLIDING THIS YEAR.... you also agreed that if we could save ONE more life by cheaping guys off the slopes you would be happy....you posting these pics is not HELPING MATTERS...guys well see this and say ahh its alright I seen slopes like this on S&M....and wham they slide......

AGAIN I WILL SAY IT.......THERE IS NO SLOPE THAT IS SAFE TO BE ON PERIOD!!!!!!

cobbycat

Reaction score
With the "never before seen" contitions this year, every slope is a time bomb!! The average person wouldn't just stroll up to a time bomb to see how much time is left, they just stay back!! SAME THING!!

So next time you (anyone) feel like you need to climb something this year, turn to your riding buddies and tell them what to say to your wife/kids/mother when you DON'T COME HOME!!! None of your riding buds ever want to be put in this position and I think that a REAL bud will respect this! Not to mention the terrible heart break you will cause at home!!

RIDE SMART, COME HOME TO YOUR LOVED ONES

weldor

Reaction score
thanks for the photo ...this is the way I see it :)

and that hill hasn't slid for 26 years judging by the trees ....but I could spend 3 hours banging at this one

LMFAO, yea I couldn't believe it when I seen those tracks there. We even seen a group stopped right under it having a break!!!:rant: There was even another group riding under a good size cornice on a steep hill. I was watching them while I was taking some pictures of a friend do a jump. I thought to myself, If something were to happen, would I risk my life to go there and help them??? I don't think I could ride away, but I don't want to die for someones stupidity.

H2SNOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
perhaps #3 is out but what this does is feeds discussion ..and that is the whole point

oh and PS I took the last pic so that should tell ya what we are about eh :)

so I revised the massage to 2 outa 5

moto.racerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that is the most retarded thing i have seen.

I would have went and talked to these tards.

smkngstv

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
to all of you who are concerned, sad, mad or speechless regarding the untimely death of Ryan and all other sledders who died loving what they were doing..this is my first post on this or any other site. I am Steve's wife Tammy, and have seen first hand the devestation on these men's faces when they returned home on saturday less one friend. We can all go back and forth all day, but when push comes to shove, nobody is psychic. Never would they go up the hill knowing someone's life was going to end that day. I think it is in the back of every sledders mind when they start their journey. All we can do is pray for a safe days end. I cannot believe some of the comments made here. So many compassionate people trying to give some comfort in all this dreamlike chaos. Some others with valid points, and some real jerks. They picked the avartar to show the tounge in cheek, fun-loving crew they were. Myself, as a wife of a sledder, i worry when they leave, relieved when they come home but would never guilt them into quitting something that gives them more pleasure than not. They stay as safe as they can in their judgement and if one has to second guess every choice they make in life, it could make for a fearful future. May Ryan's wife take some comfort he was on the mountain surrounded by his 'family' doing what he loved.

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that is the most retarded thing i have seen.

I would have went and talked to these tards.

OK I've been holding back and gotta say it, looking at this pic, knowing the hill, as I've played on it many a time in the past, knowing it ALWAYS slides many times a season, this is just out right stupidity here. With the conditions the way they are this season these guys are wanting to die. I keep saying use some common sense here, but I'm starting to think that it is more of a rarity than common! The type of slope pictured here should be at the top of the list to avoid this season as it will kill you!! and secondly if I'm in the area and it comes down and gets you I sure the hell won't be putting myself in harms way, I'll head out for help for you but certainly won't be standing underneath all that trying to find you. Use your heads people, stay in the meadows, trees, valley floors etc. The best snow is there to begin with this season, unless of course you got that 300+ hp sled and it doesn't go very well in the trees, then maybe you should consider just staying home!!

Fullthrottle

Reaction score
LMFAO, yea I couldn't believe it when I seen those tracks there. We even seen a group stopped right under it having a break!!!:rant: There was even another group riding under a good size cornice on a steep hill. I was watching them while I was taking some pictures of a friend do a jump. I thought to myself, If something were to happen, would I risk my life to go there and help them??? I don't think I could ride away, but I don't want to die for someones stupidity.

That's just it. To drive away, I don't think I could but I am a mother of three little people. Putting my life on the line I'm not so sure. We're totally debatting cancelling our trip in march. It's just not worth it!!!

Top Bottom