atlas riding conditions

bhowes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode in from Dutch this morning all good down there it was wind blown but all creek crossings were froze over the guys that were 4x4ing by the wye to the cabin will no longer get in there must have significantly pissed off the club because it looks like a d 10 cat went in there ripped it up good placed some large boulders and logs to block the access it was hard just getting the sled through for about 40 to 50 feet or so thanks to club members for the corrective measures a little extreme though

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if it works whats the problem and I would think it was srd
If those idiots with trucks keep doing the crap they do pretty soon it will get a lot worse
Rode in from Dutch this morning all good down there it was wind blown but all creek crossings were froze over the guys that were 4x4ing by the wye to the cabin will no longer get in there must have significantly pissed off the club because it looks like a d 10 cat went in there ripped it up good placed some large boulders and logs to block the access it was hard just getting the sled through for about 40 to 50 feet or so thanks to club members for the corrective measures a little extreme though

Last edited:

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
update on the road the staging area is now plowed out by the fella that was doing it for the logging company.... as far as the road goes it is not exactly clear as to who has made the road impossible whether it was the srd or spry lakes at the urging of the srd either way people get the fawking hint the road is made impassable for a reason don't fawk it up for the rest of the people that still want to sled there ..... the srd has cameras along the road so they do know who it is whether they pursue it a little further is yet to be seen

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
Will they be plowing out the staging area on a regular basis? The SRD cameras are they game cameras or are they radio transmitting the photos or video back to somewhere? It would be nice to view video or updated stills of the staging area to get a better idea of the conditions before trying to pull the 28' of fun in there...

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the staging area will be taken care of all year I would think the srd cameras are not going to give any other pictures other than what they need .... we as a club talked about cameras a few years ago but there is no power up there

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where is this that a bunch of boulders have been piled up? I'm bringing my family down next weekend and hoping the trail's clear from Atlas. I drove the Atlas road two weeks ago, before the parking lot was plowed and turned around at the "y" to the pasture where the horse corral is at. Must be further north than this?

I as out there on Saturday, glad to see the parking lot ploughed out. There was 8 trucks parked so I'm hoping there must be some riding to do.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this area is north of the turn off too the cabin .. pretty much same spot as last year as you can see a few pages back there was idiots in jeeps that apparently didnt think it applied to them so they tried to go through the creek ... so they (srd- spray lakes) made it a little worse now we have to make a new trail through the trees so the groomer can get to the area further north .. hopefully this prevents idiots from trying this crap again as i wouldnt want to be them if we lose that riding area ... as far as riding the snow on the south and north side of the highway is about the same keeping in mind they had major wind down there a few days back

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this area is north of the turn off too the cabin .. pretty much same spot as last year as you can see a few pages back there was idiots in jeeps that apparently didnt think it applied to them so they tried to go through the creek ... so they (srd- spray lakes) made it a little worse now we have to make a new trail through the trees so the groomer can get to the area further north .. hopefully this prevents idiots from trying this crap again as i wouldnt want to be them if we lose that riding area ... as far as riding the snow on the south and north side of the highway is about the same keeping in mind they had major wind down there a few days back

Why would we lose the area if someone that isn't even sledding goes up there? Hard to punish sledders for the actions of someone not even in our sport. We don't control everyone's actions.

Put in a series of posts/rocks/obstacles that are spaced just far enough apart for sleds to fit, but not wide enough for a vehicle and call it done. Sounds like SRD already did that, hope it works.

morerpmfred

Reaction score
It has nothing to do with jeeps accessing the trail in november. It is all about controling access to the new wild land parks under the proposed ssrp.
4agedu2e.jpg

The new highrock park. All trails through the passes and i suspect all those bowls all along the divide from k country to waterton will be lost.
In stead of doing the blame game we should be united on one front.
All access management plans do is close trails of to everyone. Instead we should support a motorized recreational plan.
I support this.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well the club used to be able to groom past that point .... would of been easier just to figure out that if they put restricted access up there not to go around it.....now with taking out half the road out makes it impossible to do that without making a new trail at a fairly substantial cost

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and if we have some motorized units that dont obey what they have done already how does that look ....it will only happen quicker if everyone doesnt obey signs

It has nothing to do with jeeps accessing the trail in november. It is all about controling access to the new wild land parks under the proposed ssrp. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/19/4agedu2e.jpg

The new highrock park. All trails through the passes and i suspect all those bowls all along the divide from k country to waterton will be lost.
In stead of doing the blame game we should be united on one front.
All access management plans do is close trails of to everyone. Instead we should support a motorized recreational plan.
I support this.

morerpmfred

Reaction score
There must be at least 30 bridges in different locations through out castle, livingston macgilvery and other areas in this part of the world. Thank you quad squad. Awesome job and firesight. Everyone bridge has a bypass that jeeps can go by. Thank you quad squad for the work and foresight to do all this bridge building.
Now I have never seen an esrd signage indicating any trail closure anywhere along that road. There where signs on the past indicating road decommisioning, but no road or trail closure signs.
South if the highway ln the castle under the designated trail system only snow vehicle are allowed after dec 1. North of the highway there is no designated winter trail system.
We really need a motorized recreation plan for the area in order to prevent user conflicts such as this.
Now how did you get the trail groomer past the quad bridge and past the narrow ledge part just south of the second new quad bridge last winter?

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we didnt hence why we need another trail through the trees
There must be at least 30 bridges in different locations through out castle, livingston macgilvery and other areas in this part of the world. Thank you quad squad. Awesome job and firesight. Everyone bridge has a bypass that jeeps can go by. Thank you quad squad for the work and foresight to do all this bridge building.
Now I have never seen an esrd signage indicating any trail closure anywhere along that road. There where signs on the past indicating road decommisioning, but no road or trail closure signs.
South if the highway ln the castle under the designated trail system only snow vehicle are allowed after dec 1. North of the highway there is no designated winter trail system.
We really need a motorized recreation plan for the area in order to prevent user conflicts such as this.
Now how did you get the trail groomer past the quad bridge and past the narrow ledge part just south of the second new quad bridge last winter?

morerpmfred

Reaction score
Do you need to go with the groomer north of the second quad bridge ?

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well they had been grooming to the trail into checks valley and deans park a couple years ago but with snow conditons and the road being taken out we didn't have a choice ... having said that there is an alternate route by the north cabin just need a good snow year ... which this year if it keeps up we should be in good shape

morerpmfred

Reaction score
Every one has there own names for places. Awesome. Was going to suggest an alternate route that i have not been on in 20+ years. Has some medium size rock and possably over grown but sounds like you know it.

Top Bottom