Arctic Cat

mudbug

Reaction score
Everyone has there opinion on whats best out there, As for you what do you want the machine to do. if you want duel purpose then buy one for your need's, If you want hold on to the seat of your pants every weekend fun then buy the rzr 800 or 900 you wont be dissipointed. Remember they all have there strong points and there weak and they all break!!! :)

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do Some research , the Wildcat has been a huge disappointment so far. It is underpowered,too long ,under clutched, and has been destroyed when compared to the XP900, so far. Not to mention the horrible reliability record of the 1000 cat platform..........
There is a reason you can`t PAY some one to buy a used prowler 1000...........lol
I can find you piles of people who traded a prowler on a RZR, can you find me one who has traded a rzr for a prowler................?????

I have done a lot of research and i cannot find any thing but good things about the wildcat. Can you share these terrible reviews?? I drove one and all i can say is holy chit!!! The wildcat just finished kicking the popo's a$$ in the king of the mountain challenge. If you hate arctic cat thats fine but why bash it for no reason??

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Here is the review it got from Johnny ,the owner of UTV INC. in arizona. He is one of the leading builders of aftermarket utv parts in the world.............He has forgotten more about UTV`s than you or i willl ever know........lol He builds for all brands and is an expert in the UTV world !!!! You did not research to hard by the looks of it.........lol
Wildcat lol Pussycat
As I sit here my Brain tells me I should not write this .. I should not write the truth .... why ? you ask why? well because I am in the aftermarket UTV Parts Business and I dream of some day getting demo machines from a major manufacture like arctic cat .Ive tried calling most of them with no luck and in all but 1 case never even gotten a return call or email. I also have a few good friends that are Arctic Cat Dealers

Just got back from Glamis Dunes ... The Wildcat lol .... hmm The RZR XP worked great ran great, duned great ... and the wildcat hmm I dont know what to say .... Broken belt ...ya I would guess if in two days I did 100 miles my 5 day trip at the dunes I should have took 3 spare belts with me ... and just to let you guys know I have never had a broken belt at the dunes in any machine .. not my golf cart not my polaris ranger, not my yamaha rhino , not my many polaris rzr's Ive had ....

Ok heres some good news the suspension is the best duner, off road , woop eating, jump taking utv suspension ever as good or better then alot of high dollar sandrails out there ... it eats mile long sections of woops like they are baby food .. it dont buck kick or do any crazy unexpected moves while traveling 55 to 57 mph thru the ruff stuff ... its even better then I could have expected ...

now I say 55 to 57 MPH because with a set of STI V ROLL 14" tires or a set of Fullerton sand tires I bummed from Dave thats is as fast as you will be going on flat ground in the sand .. lol ya 55 ish mph ...

OK to be fair I think I run the dunes harder then most people but that could be all in my head .. I have owned some of the best sandrails on the market built buy tatum motorsports and extreme performance .. everything for 500 hp LS1--588 Donoven Big Blocks to 1000+hp twin turbo cars with 24" of Suspension Travel ..

I showed up to the dunes Wendsday Night after dark and figured Id unload the Wildcat in the Morning and go out and get some Pictures of it in the sand and Leave my Polaris RZR 900 XP in the Trailer and Most likely not be unloading the XP at all the rest of the week .. Ya NOT unload the Polaris RZR XP at all ...hell the wildcat is built for the sand ... 18" if Travel Back 17" Front and 1000ccs of Wildcat ...lol what else could a guy ask for ... OK 1200 CC and 150 HP ...

Ok So I unload the Wildcat in the morning toss my camera in the seat and strap it down with the harnesses and off I go .. at the point the Wildcat has 20 Miles that I put on it driving it around some what easy to break it in ... I head past the Glamis Beach Store thru the flats past the Vendor section and into the small dunes I hit the gas a couple of times and am not sure at this point what to think so I take it easy getting a feel for the machine thru the small dunes feeling the way it handles and how it takes the bumps, dips, holes ect ... and im thinking wooo hoo this suspension is sweet.. I hit the gas a few more times and im not sure what to think it just dont seem like its got much balls .. I cross Sand Highway to the dunes looking for a nice picture spot and I have to climb a few small dunes to get to a nice spot and when I hit the gas again I am not impressed so I put it in 4 wheel drive thinking maybe not enough paddle tire and even with the 4x4 on im still having a hard time ...

ok I get out and try to walk up a few small dunes to take some sweet morning pictures as I climb I start huffing and puffing for air .. man my fat ass is out of shape ... hmm no big deal I dont plan on having to walk around in the dunes I have the new Arctic Cat Wildcat 1000 with 18" of Ground pounding bad ass suspension ...I take a ch!t load of pictures and think to myself man that is one good looking machine and I need to get me some Arctic Cat Stock because they are going to take over the SXS market NOW ...

Ok I get back in the Wildcat and a short trip im out of the dunes and back on Sand Highway heading to Oldsmobile Hill now let me tell ya the is some of the most wooped out off camber bumps dumps and humps out thier ... I hit the gas and the Wildcat starts to purr and its flying over this ch!t like its nuttin oh shur im getting tossed around like a rag doll but the cat in landing on all four and taking it all easy .. my stock RZR 900 XP would be a bit more uncontrolled thru this stuff even scarey at times ... But im doing 50 MPH and its eating it up im thinking man this thing needs to race the baja 1000 or something it kicks ass ...

I pull up to olds hill lock it in 4x4 and and think haha Ill just floor the gas pedal here and tear the woops up at the bottom of the hill ...I have never been able to do that in any UTV because the woops are so bad at the bottom you just cant stay in the gas with out the ass end bottoming hard and the ass end kicking up ... lol yep I flew over the top of the woops like I have only seen bas ass sandrails do in the past ..

with the Wildcat ? wide open and the Wildcat starting to go uphill it starts slowing down fast real fast and I about 3/4 of the way up and thinking to myself Im glad I came out early in the morning so nobody can see this ch!t ... I have to turn to the left a little and start crab walking sideways to get up the hill ...WTF I think to myself ..ya I guess the storys Ive been hearing of people in Wildcats not making it up the hill in Wildcats are true ? No this cant be true ..... So ya im at the top I turn around and hit the gas doing 50 or 60 mph down hill I fly thru the woops and again im thinking this thing is awsome .... It must just be some fresh soft Sand there in the middle of the hill where I tried to go up ... so I try again where I know I can go up on the left side of the hill and same thing its turning around 7000 -7200 rpm and Im thinking im not going to make it up but I keep the pedal mashed and as I come over the top I look at the speedo and it says around 20 MPH ... later in the day my Polaris RZR XP Speedo in the same spot was reading 40ish mph .... all the while im thinking man this thing is a dog .. a wild dog ..but still a dog ... I was also thinking my 2006 Rhino was about this fast going up the hill ...

Ya really its a dog in the dunes...

later in the day my buddies showed up all of them have RZR 900 XPs I figured I would try following them thru a fast dune run ... I was able to keep up most of the time but its just because there is almost as much down hill as up hill so with the great suspension i was able to stay in the gas longer and play catch up on the down hill sections .. I will note that I had to turn down and go around a couple of times to make it up some of the smaller hills the the rzr xp just powered up ....

also to note I did race another Wildcat on the flats while I was there and and both machines were close but for some strange reason his was faster going east to west and mine was faster going west to east ..

while following the Polaris RZR xps thru the dunes I was full throttle 90% of the time and after say 30 Minutes with 101 Miles on the Machine the belt shredded into a 100 pcs ... ... so I was towed out of the dunes .... ya I was towed out of the dunes by a Polaris ..

I will not be taking the machine back to the dunes until I find someway to gain a very noticable amount of power .. and nothing against whom ever is making them but I dont think a wet clutch delete will make this machine go up hill any faster because I dont think at 7000 rpm the wet clutch is slipping

https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=2 http://www.redneckridgeriders.com/

Re: Wildcat Review by Johnny @UTV Inc

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well if he shredded a belt there was something wrong. Cat has one of the most dependable and durable belt systems out there. Yes the wet clutch robs some power but at least its not slip and grip so the belts last. This is one persons review, and did your mother not teach you that you cant believe everything you read on the internet?? The nice thing the wildcat is doing is the aftermarket is starting to produce stuff for the 952 again. PSC is working on a clut h system right now that will blow adams WCD out of the water. So using my actual seat time , two friends actual seat time, i will say i like this machine and i base this on my time behind the wheel not behind my keyboard. You should get out and try one youll enjoy it:)

SLICKSTER

Reaction score
Well if he shredded a belt there was something wrong. Cat has one of the most dependable and durable belt systems out there. Yes the wet clutch robs some power but at least its not slip and grip so the belts last. This is one persons review, and did your mother not teach you that you cant believe everything you read on the internet?? The nice thing the wildcat is doing is the aftermarket is starting to produce stuff for the 952 again. PSC is working on a clut h system right now that will blow adams WCD out of the water. So using my actual seat time , two friends actual seat time, i will say i like this machine and i base this on my time behind the wheel not behind my keyboard. You should get out and try one youll enjoy it:)
How do you know the PSC clutch will blow anything away (seeing it isn't built yet), can you see into the future, or is it wishful thinking???

Have youever ridden, or put seat time into a RZR 900, you prolly have nothing to compare your cat seat time to anything, cat would probably feel good...untill you ride a polaris, or commander

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As a matter of fact i have seat time in both. Commander at the sundre fire dept. Rally last year and the popo out at mclean creek. Just a short 10 minute ride in the popo so your right i dont have a whole lot of experience. My point is I have seat time. In all my posts have you heard me bash any brand??? This forum and this thread in particular was someone asking for unbiased info. Can you say you are unbiased ? I like my cats and I like the wildcat as the ride IMO is much better than anything else i have driven. It has plenty of power for the average person, who is the one that will be buying it. Does the popo have more power? Yes. Is the popo proven ?yes Did arctic cat come out with a great concept ? Yes Is it proven ? No
So we will see, but brand bashing something that you have NO seat time in will make you old before your time.
Don't sweat the petty stuff, pet the sweaty stuff :)

Last edited:

SLICKSTER

Reaction score
As a matter of fact i have seat time in both. Commander at the sundre fire dept. Rally last year and the popo out at mclean creek. Just a short 10 minute ride in the popo so your right i dont have a whole lot of experience. My point is I have seat time. In all my posts have you heard me bash any brand??? This forum and this thread in particular was someone asking for unbiased info. Can you say you are unbiased ? I like my cats and I like the wildcat as the ride IMO is much better than anything else i have driven. It has plenty of power for the average person, who is the one that will be buying it. Does the popo have more power? Yes. Is the popo proven ?yes Did arctic cat come out with a great concept ? Yes Is it proven ? No
So we will see, but brand bashing something that you have NO seat time in will make you old before your time.
Don't sweat the petty stuff, pet the sweaty stuff :)
you are 100% correct....(BTW, I too have seat time in the popo, cat, BRP, & tryx)

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The one thing everyone is failing to realize is that the arctic cat 1000 motor doesn't wake up until after break in which Ive been told by a couple dealers as well as my dad takes a while, like almost 600 miles. My dad had a prowler 1000 and right around the 580 mile mark all the sudden it felt like it had another 30 hp from what he said, can't say for myself because I never drove it before it had 600 miles. Its a big tight motor and it takes her a while to smooth out but once it does it really wakes up. From the sounds of that guys review he took it to the dunes right from brand new and hes comparing it to his previous 900 xp which im guessing had been riiden a bit, just going from the way he talks about how hed been through this before with his xp, and was broke in. As well I do believe the cat is heavier than the xp 900, I think........ and also bigger, so that may take away a little power in the dunes and climbing hills. But buddy in the review said it rides better than the xp so the concept of the chassis seems to have worked well, with a little time the bugs will be worked out but for now its seems to be on track to being a contendor. As for what I would choose right now for around here, I would choose neither. Both too big for the tight trails and seem more suited for someone who rides alot of dunes or wide open spaces with bumps and jumps. I was out riding last week with a couple quads and a rhino 700 and we got into some spots that had fairly skinny bridges and if there was a wildcat or xp with us we definitely would have had to turn around.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know why I'm chiming in...cause I really don't give a sh!t....but why does everybody think they need so much horsepower in a sxs? It's a friggin sxs! If you can use more power, then you're not riding in the places these things were inteded to be ridden (unless you're in the dunes, but face it, how many people are taking their sxs's to St. Anthony's?) We had 2 Ranger 6x6's with a non-efi 500...we put hundreds of hours on them, and never ever powered out once. Nor did we break sh!t either. Don't get me wrong, I like butterflies when I punch the throttle, but I won't let my panties get bunched up when there's an absence of wow factor when I hit the throttle of my sxs....I'll hop on the bike when I need a wood-builder. Just my opinion, and I know...everybody has one, blah, blah.

Himark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You must be kidding right..............lol lol .The Prowler almost single handedly broke Cat, their company lost 28% in value,because of lost market share mainly to POPO `s UTV..............Reliable and Prowler should never be in the same sentence.............

i never understood brand loyalists. almost broke cat?? lol.

although i agree with you that the xp is in a league of its own. it is NOT the best all around utv for EVERYONE. there is a utv for every need. even the big ass honda red. you cant deny the fact that the prowler 700 is a good buy for the money (13500 right now!) and for the weekend get out there and enjoy life crusier. you cant.
just like the ranger is tops in the work house department. the big red is amazing on the farm. the rhino is good at everything...not the best and the xp is the king of play.

give credit where credit is due. if all those people you talk about "trading in prowlers", initially bought prowlers to tear up the trails and mud bog....well...they werent too bright in the first place.

they ALL break...and they are ALL junk. its what junk you think will work best for you.

that goes for the arctic cat cheerleaders too...lmao

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

HHmmmm,no belt problems eehhh.........................

another belt
and another can am towing me around
.....quite dissapointed
    • Share this post on
    • facebook.gif
      Share on Facebook

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know why I'm chiming in...cause I really don't give a sh!t....but why does everybody think they need so much horsepower in a sxs? It's a friggin sxs! If you can use more power, then you're not riding in the places these things were inteded to be ridden (unless you're in the dunes, but face it, how many people are taking their sxs's to St. Anthony's?) We had 2 Ranger 6x6's with a non-efi 500...we put hundreds of hours on them, and never ever powered out once. Nor did we break sh!t either. Don't get me wrong, I like butterflies when I punch the throttle, but I won't let my panties get bunched up when there's an absence of wow factor when I hit the throttle of my sxs....I'll hop on the bike when I need a wood-builder. Just my opinion, and I know...everybody has one, blah, blah.

Best reply of the whole thread. I don't care how fast or how well suspended a sxs can be, it will never get down a trail as fast as a bike. If you don't believe that check the baja 500/1000 results for the last 20 years, even an 800hp, 4ft of travel equipped trophy truck can't beat a dirt bike. If I want to go fast, the bike is my choice. My sxs is for a different kind of riding, and for that it's plenty fast enough, even with only 30 horsepower.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

HHmmmm,no belt problems eehhh.........................

another belt
and another can am towing me around
.....quite dissapointed

9 times out of ten it's operator error. How many duckbills on a cat intake ? How many on belt intake? How many on a cat belt exhaust. If you don't seal them up they leak and get water in the belt causing slipping issues. If you keep trying to drive it yes you will burn a belt up. Snow is the same and will crush the duckbills allowing moisture in. I have a cat belt hanging in my shop that had 13,650 k on it and is still at minimum spec. Same story treat it right and it will treat you right.

Great Pumpkin

Reaction score
So rzrgade seeing you know John well enough to quote him. How come there is no statement of what was done to secondary. Going from stock tires to a frickin 14" sti paddle tire. Kinda like going from a 121 1/2" track to a 174 3" track and not changing anything else. Could there be belt issues there to? Or how about the part of 55 Mph top speed with the paddles. Would this have been when the epi test components were in John's unit. Also when belts where blowing. Most of the few belts that have been blown around here since early march. Have been from snow or mud build up under the exhaust tube from clutch case or getting wet. If you want to bury the unit and not have snorkels, and not check air openings after. You will have problems. How about John's comment where he states it was probably his driving that caused most of the problems. Next time you talk with him. Find out how many guys are running the dunes with no belt problems. Biggest and most concerning problem happening around here right now. Is that muzzy's fuel controllers are throwing injector error codes. To be brand loyal is not a bad thing at all. But to turn forums into brand bashing using somebody else quotes really. People come looking for opinions that aren't bias based on brand loyalty. All of John's issues were a result of poor back shifting. Possible because of tire change and testing components. Not because it has Arctic Cat stuck on the side of it.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well thats an easy fix:
#1 Do not ride it in snow..........
#2 Do not change the stock tires...........
#3 Do not ride it in mud............
#4 IMPORTANT,be careful how you drive this unit..........!!!!!

Then you should be fine...................

My opinion is the 900 xp is a better proven unit,if you dissagree that`s fine with me..........That`s your right.
Because i have a different point of view than you i am brand bashing.............Enjoy your wildcat...............

Last edited:
Top Bottom