Anybody lose a trailer on the way home today?

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are these mystical places called gas stations, I had never seen one before (obviously kinda like you) but my buddy that was driving told me about them, then we found one and filled up. he saved the day, we got to go sledding, I was happy.
The end
Don't think he ran out of fuel - just took him more than a tank to get to Corbin.
I can go from Okotoks to Koocanusa and back on just about 3/4 of a tank if not towing and the wind is ok. My max fuel use is almost 1.5 tanks worth for a round trip of 600 km towing a load and the wind against me both ways.

Hardwood guy

Reaction score
I lost my 12 ft,. cargo hauler at about 11:30 pm a few km north of there, it was on its side in the south bound lane. Three of us pushed it across bare pavement into the east ditch. Went to pick it up Sunday, it was about a 1000 ft. east of the hi-way totally trashed.

that's my gf's dads riding buddies trailer it flipped at about 10pm Saturday night they were headed north and a wind gust picked up the trailer and swung the truck completely sideways at 100k. Surprised the trailer stayed in that spot after we took the sleds out wind gust were like 130 that night. The owner tried to go out yesterday to right it but still way to windy haha gotta love the Crowsnest

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The moral of the story, don't use an enclosed trailer in southern Alberta!:nono: lol
I have hauled a 12' cargo trailer, a 17' horse trailer, a 26' Chris Craft cabin cruiser and a 31' travel trailer on that route many times. Been scary at times but have never lost one (yet).
I think it must be the weight of whats being towed that makes a difference. The 12' cargo trailer is 7' wide and has 7' height clearance inside but it is not too high off the ground - it also has very beefy steel structure underneath - not as lightweight as it would seem. The horse/stock trailer is aluminum but it is still heavy AND it is very low to the ground (also doesn't have any openings down the side for the wind to get inside).

Been the worst year for winds that I can remember. High River airports live wind speed online showed a 149 kmh gust a few months back!

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
A couple of years ago just coming up the second hill east of Cowley going into the Pass icy roads 100mph winds trailer caught ice flipped the truck around trailer hit the truck ripped the tongue off the trailer and the wind pushed the trailer into the truck again and eventually into the ditch. Totalled the trailer off.

Yup very very scary!!!!!!

We were sledding out in the Pass this weekend when we heard what the winds were going to be Sunday we got out of dodge early!! We were still down to about 60km between Coaldale and Lethbridge when we got caught in the cross wind. No fun pulling the 28 feet of fun!!

Jan

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On my way back from 3 days at Fernie and as I get to the #22 turning to go north off the #3 I phone home and ask if there is a wind warning. The word is NO so I take 22 north instead of staying on the #3 east to Fort Mcleod and up the #2 - longer drive but usually safer when there is a chinook west wind blowing. Within a few minutes going north on the 22 I see a large enclosed sled trailer on it's side in the east ditch - a victim of the wind I think as the roads were bare and dry. A couple of miles more and a long gooseneck horse trailer is in the same predicament. At the time I went through there wasn't any vehicles at the scene. On the drive down on Thursday afternoon the roads were as bad as they get - I drive this route probably 20 times a year.Anyone know the story on this?
Saw that same trailer 3 days ago on my way down that way! Still sitting there eh! Someone can't afford to move it I bet lol

d8grandpa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trailer made it home tonight. wind calmed down enough to pick it up. I learned 2 things on Sat.night I did not know before that, 1 my 4 place enclosed trailer can only with stand 130-140 wind gusts after that it is susceptable to take flight. 2nd my Dodge dually can do a 100k side pass on dry pavement on one tire without rolling. Not that I want to try that manouver again anytime soon. When the wind gust hit us it lifted the trailer off the highway spun the truck sideways in an instant, stayed that way until it stopped. The trailer landed in the ditch about 4' past a steel culvert, there was not a mark on the culvert or any marks in the ditch, the trailer was airborne from when it left its wheels to where it stopped. There is only 1 skid mark on the highway, it came from the the front pass. tire. When it all stopped the truck was covering both lanes on the highway, the trailer still hooked to the ball, and the back tires of the truck were about a foot off the pavement. I had to get a bar out to beat on the release to drop the truck off the hitch so we could move.We were very lucky the trailer stayed hooked, if not outcome most likely would be worse. Only damage to trailer, truck none, sleds minor scratches and one handle bar. The one thing I have to check for damage yet though is my passenger hand grip, my buddy had a pretty good hold on it when we were doing our side pass, he may have weaken it a little

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trailer made it home tonight. wind calmed down enough to pick it up. I learned 2 things on Sat.night I did not know before that, 1 my 4 place enclosed trailer can only with stand 130-140 wind gusts after that it is susceptable to take flight. 2nd my Dodge dually can do a 100k side pass on dry pavement on one tire without rolling. Not that I want to try that manouver again anytime soon. When the wind gust hit us it lifted the trailer off the highway spun the truck sideways in an instant, stayed that way until it stopped. The trailer landed in the ditch about 4' past a steel culvert, there was not a mark on the culvert or any marks in the ditch, the trailer was airborne from when it left its wheels to where it stopped. There is only 1 skid mark on the highway, it came from the the front pass. tire. When it all stopped the truck was covering both lanes on the highway, the trailer still hooked to the ball, and the back tires of the truck were about a foot off the pavement. I had to get a bar out to beat on the release to drop the truck off the hitch so we could move.We were very lucky the trailer stayed hooked, if not outcome most likely would be worse. Only damage to trailer, truck none, sleds minor scratches and one handle bar. The one thing I have to check for damage yet though is my passenger hand grip, my buddy had a pretty good hold on it when we were doing our side pass, he may have weaken it a little

Definately no fun when the tail is wagging the dog. Glad you guys did all right.

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just to add to this, it isn't just higher profile enclosed trailers that will get airborne. A buddy of mine from North Dakota was with a group pulling one of those top cap type 4 place aluminum trailers and the wind caught it in Wyoming and tossed the trailer upside down into the ditch and the cap ended up about 100 yards off the road. They said if the hitch wouldn't have broke, it would have rolled the truck over too.

Trukker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Geezez Henry glad your ok........Rob told me about the story yesterday but I guess it could have been alot worst.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that area is nasty for winds! I have lived in the lundbreck area for years and have seen it several times were hwy 22 is closed due to 120+ km/h winds! back in probably 2002 there was a day were all the ambulances and volunteer crew were needed up 22 they had the pass,lundbreck,beaver mines,cowley,pincher creek firefighters and ambulances on scene cause there was 20+ vehicles overturned on the hwy that day! even at castle ski hill there have been reported wind gusts of over 120 MPH! you can hear those chairs smashing off the poles in the nights when the winds are like that

Vertical-Extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone hear about a sled trailer flipping over on southbound deerfoot around 64th ave Saturday afternoon? My wife was going north back home to Airdrie and she seen it. it had traffic backed up all the way past Cross Iron Mills

Top Bottom