Any local Bike ice racers

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wondering about what they would run for studs in a front tire on Snow bike. What works and if there is an other forum to look at? Thanks

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
Why would you want to run a tire on the front of a snow bike? I’d think if there wasn’t enough snow to warrant a ski, there’s not enough to warrant a track.

As far as studs go, there’s varied opinions on them, anything from Tapcon cement screws to the original gold screw. All depends on how much you want to spend. Carbide tipped Kold Kutters are pricey, Ice grip studs run about $110/1000 in a half inch length.

Mountainman52

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wondering about what they would run for studs in a front tire on Snow bike. What works and if there is an other forum to look at? Thanks

Back in the good old days , we just used an old set of dirt bike tires and screwed in sheet metal screws ! Works and its Cheap !

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why would you want to run a tire on the front of a snow bike? I’d think if there wasn’t enough snow to warrant a ski, there’s not enough to warrant a track.

As far as studs go, there’s varied opinions on them, anything from Tapcon cement screws to the original gold screw. All depends on how much you want to spend. Carbide tipped Kold Kutters are pricey, Ice grip studs run about $110/1000 in a half inch length.
Trying to cross even a small amount of sand - gravel (30to 40 feet ) can be dicey with a ski and there is sometimes a lot of that with spring riding.

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Back in the good old days , we just used an old set of dirt bike tires and screwed in sheet metal screws ! Works and its Cheap !
I put some short sheet metal screws into the knobs of the tire with only the head sticking out and found that it was not enough. Did you put them through the inside of the tire so the threads of screw were sticking outside? How did you protect the inner tube from the head of screw?

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just get the screw in ice studs from the dealer.

ice_studs.jpg
\

maxresdefault.jpg

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I didn't get too crazy with HOW MANY I needed for some "non" competition trail riding. Only put in half that amount. LOL

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I didn't get too crazy with HOW MANY I needed for some "non" competition trail riding. Only put in half that amount. LOL

I used to like river riding on the 450. You can rip, just as much traction or more than you'd have on dirt.

Top Bottom