Any HVAC guys on here

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Vent is Just through the wall but trapped under the deck?

Or long run out past the end of the deck?

It only sticks out of the wall about a foot.

Its right under the deck.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like some warmer weather in the forcast. Should help. It doesn't like -30
If it’s under a deck your air is probably trapped full of co2 and the moisture.

I was gonna comment that the down sides of venting through the wall is the puddles it can make or the steam/frost.

I’m sure all the moisture through my soffits isn’t great either but that’s the way the wind take it. But Intakes never freeze without screens in them.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
10 feet up from my vents.

Attachments

• 5627925E-AD57-41A4-A4A7-82965684EA7A.jpeg
    5627925E-AD57-41A4-A4A7-82965684EA7A.jpeg
    402.8 KB · Views: 139

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it’s under a deck your air is probably trapped full of co2 and the moisture.

I was gonna comment that the down sides of venting through the wall is the puddles it can make or the steam/frost.

I’m sure all the moisture through my soffits isn’t great either but that’s the way the wind take it. But Intakes never freeze without screens in them.

Ya thats what im thinking. Just too cold for me to do much about it right now

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It only sticks out of the wall about a foot.

Its right under the deck.
I had that scenario on intake/exhaust on my Calgary house furnaces. Installer said to meet code it had to extend past deck and would require insulating the run under the deck so we went out the other wall. Maybe your issue was the reason for that?

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had that scenario on intake/exhaust on my Calgary house furnaces. Installer said to meet code it had to extend past deck and would require insulating the run under the deck so we went out the other wall. Maybe your issue was the reason for that?
Probably, definitely wasnt done right.

Bought this place in the summer time, so didnt know it was an issue until it was 30 below haha

getzcold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it’s your intake air (combustion air) that is frosting over, either cut the 2” or 3” pipe in the basement. Leave the discharge flue gas pipe as is. This will just make the house a little negative pressure should not cause a issue. Relocate the combustion air pipe in the summer and call her good. Heard of a lot of people having to do 3” combustion air to there furnaces to stop this as well. The cold air also seems to do strange things to the pressure switches with the air being so dense.
Used to have the same issue in my house. I just cut the intake pipe disconnect it in the cold the put it back together when warm with a furnco.

Jobu

Reaction score
Mine runs under my deck, now at least... When it was first installed the installer left it a foot away from the house under the deck, but not past the it, this caused the deck to ice up and freeze pretty bad so after talking with the installer he agreed to extend it past the deck. Well turns out that extra 6 foot run added enough to it that this started setting off the pressure switch and we had to change out the pipe from 2" to 3" to accommodate. The piping isn't your standard PVC either, it's called 636 and it's expensive.

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm in central Sask and my house (2013 build) has the 2 into 1 intake / exhaust installed horizontally, on a open wall and has never froze up. My cabin (2018 build) which is an hour further north has the separate intake / exhaust and the intake froze up on me on New Years day in -38. Open wall as well. Luckily I was there when it happened. Took the elbow off the end, dug out the ice with a screwdriver and found a bunch of cobweb and dead bugs that was choking it off. Crazy part is I have a gas fireplace for backup heat and the vent / exhaust for is was froze off and it took a few short cycles for it to melt the exterior part off so it would run.

-40 tends to amplify the issues in most setups.

Frosty19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had someone suggest I turn up the heat to about 23 and have left my furnace recirc fan on 24/7 to keep at least room temp air flowing through the vent and made it through 3 days of the -35 or lower so wait and see
We got a bunch of snow so the roof is about off limits again for me

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya those 2 into one exhaust intake pipe thingys suck ass. Mine is freezing up to.

Intake freezes up with exhaust moisture, and doesnt take much because the pipe is too small.

Just gotta bang out the ice once in a while.

In the spring ill switch to a 2 pipe setup,

2 into 1 Sucking exhaust into the intake is a retarded design...

Furnace works great now, but hate the fkn steam blowing out the side of the house.

Wish i had a normal old school Furnace with a chimney out the roof...

Top Bottom