Any HVAC guys on here

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya those 2 into one exhaust intake pipe thingys suck ass. Mine is freezing up to.

Intake freezes up with exhaust moisture, and doesnt take much because the pipe is too small.

Just gotta bang out the ice once in a while.

In the spring ill switch to a 2 pipe setup,

2 into 1 Sucking exhaust into the intake is a retarded design...

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
. If you don’t want ti climb up the just disconnect the supply air pipe going to the furnace and let us suck the air out of the house when it’s cold like this.

This should work for you.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It freezes up at the exit point. Insulating the inside wont stop it.

Last edited:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Imagine running the exhaust on your truck up through the intake instead of out the back...

Not only does it restrict air flow by halving the size of the intake, your sucking exhaust into the intake also haha

How good you think your truck would run if you did that.

But for some reason engineers figured this would be a good idea on a "high efficiency" furnace 🙄

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My boiler runs my heat exchanger and my pipes run horizontally out the side of my house it’s high efficiency and fills a 5 gallon pail with water every week when it is this cold that water in vertical pipes might be the problem don’t think the fan would have the power to push it that high when it is this cold

Frosty19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought this place already built otherwise no way I would allow it to be installed this way, in no way does it make any type of advantageous sense

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought this place already built otherwise no way I would allow it to be installed this way, in no way does it make any type of advantageous sense
Same here, thats why im going to change it. Little cold for that today though! Haha

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It freezes up at the exit point. Insulating the inside wont stop it.
Yes it will for him. The exhaust gasses are cooling too much thru the uninsulated attic. If it’s kept warmer it won’t freeze. He will have 2 separate pipe right up to where they go through the roof. Pretty common when the pipes run through cold spaces. Happens in long cold horizontal runs of pipe too if there are not insulated when they run under a deck or similar.

He could cutThe stack a bit shorter above the roof too

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes it will for him. The exhaust gasses are cooling too much thru the uninsulated attic. If it’s kept warmer it won’t freeze. He will have 2 separate pipe right up to where they go through the roof. Pretty common when the pipes run through cold spaces. Happens in long cold horizontal runs of pipe too if there are not insulated when they run under a deck or similar.

He could cutThe stack a bit shorter above the roof too

Yeah it might help in his situation. Mine runs horizontal through the wall. Insulated wall. The end freezes up.

turbo392

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My boiler runs my heat exchanger and my pipes run horizontally out the side of my house it’s high efficiency and fills a 5 gallon pail with water every week when it is this cold that water in vertical pipes might be the problem don’t think the fan would have the power to push it that high when it is this cold
Vertical stacks use a condensate pump to push the water to a floor drain (normally)

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya those 2 into one exhaust intake pipe thingys suck ass. Mine is freezing up to.

Intake freezes up with exhaust moisture, and doesnt take much because the pipe is too small.

Just gotta bang out the ice once in a while.

In the spring ill switch to a 2 pipe setup,

2 into 1 Sucking exhaust into the intake is a retarded design...
It’s his exhaust freezing not the intake. The exhaust is full of moister and water. It’s all grades down hill and runs back to the furnace and eventually down the drain.

You would be surprise how much water is draining back. Disconnect the drain in your furnace room and it would flood your basement

Two separate pipes will still have the exhaust freeze if it runs too far through cold spaces if it’s not insulated.

Horizontal venting can suck too if it’s dumping gallons of water on your sidewalks or driveway to freeze

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There should be a condensate trap and pump or drain on The furnace. Make sure it's not full of h2o.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It’s his exhaust freezing not the intake. The exhaust is full of moister and water. It’s all grades down hill and runs back to the furnace and eventually down the drain.

You would be surprise how much water is draining back. Disconnect the drain in your furnace room and it would flood your basement

Two separate pipes will still have the exhaust freeze if it runs too far through cold spaces if it’s not insulated.

Horizontal venting can suck too if it’s dumping gallons of water on your sidewalks or driveway to freeze
Mine is warm except the last 6 inches and yet it freezes.

Stupid design simple as that. 2 pipes will fix my problem. Not sure about his...

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Vertical stacks use a condensate pump to push the water to a floor drain (normally)
Condensate pump has nothing to do with vertical stack or horizontal.

They all are graded down hill and water drains back to the furnace or boiler. Pump is only needed if a drain is not available down hill from the furnace.

blubbles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tap on the pressure switches as well, seen them get jarred up when its cold. Its likely freezing up, but seen them show false signals in the past. Also the hoses leading to them are famous for cracking where you cant see. But as others noted, likely an exhaust/intake issue.

Worth putting some cleaner down the drain lines as well, seen them get very gummed up as well.

Top Bottom