Any electricians familiar with Insteon Home Automation

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking to add some Insteon 6/8 Keypalincs and Insteon dimmers to the new house project and would like some information on 3 way/4way circuits using both dimmers and keypads.

Want to bounce some ideas off anyone who has installed these.:d

Post or PM me.

Thanks

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We did a few houses with the smarthome stuff. Pretty cool, it works on the general wiring and sends the signals through the existing wiring. You can control any switch, from any other switch if you sync them.
Here is a manual that might be interesting to get.

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it's Anythibg like the HAI products I install the keypads are a stand alone unit tied into any power supply inside the house with just a 14/2. As far as the 3 and 4 ways you would install a dimmer where the power enters your switch box. Then your other location/locations would get an aux dimmer switch. These switches all have a power wire neutral, switch leg and signal wires. All standard wiring inside the walls like any other 3-4 way switch. The difference is in the splice in the switch box.

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it's Anythibg like the HAI products I install the keypads are a stand alone unit tied into any power supply inside the house with just a 14/2. As far as the 3 and 4 ways you would install a dimmer where the power enters your switch box. Then your other location/locations would get an aux dimmer switch. These switches all have a power wire neutral, switch leg and signal wires. All standard wiring inside the walls like any other 3-4 way switch. The difference is in the splice in the switch box.

The Keypadlincs tie into the Hot wire in the switch leg for power and control, and uses the neutral as part of the dual band network(along with RF). In a typical 3 way circuit, you cap both ends of the traveller, and connect the blacks to each switch for power. I`m looking at using two keypads and an Insteon dimmer in the 4 way switch circuit. In their tutorials it doesn`t cover mixing products in a circuit.

I picked the Insteon products because they are routerless, and more DIY friendly. I`m only planning on 5 or 6 keypads throughout the house and a couple of dimmers. I want it set up so the wife can turn on most of the lights when she comes home, then turn most of them off when she hits the kitchen.:d

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I hear you. In my house I installed 2 keypads 1 inwall touch screen and 36 dimmers that retail 122 a piece. I have zero experience with any home automation other then HAI. I was very pleased with the simplicity of hai installation.

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I hear you. In my house I installed 2 keypads 1 inwall touch screen and 36 dimmers that retail 122 a piece. I have zero experience with any home automation other then HAI. I was very pleased with the simplicity of hai installation.

Ouch!!! The Insteon keypads are $69 each and the dimmers are $49. Need the Insteon dimmers as they work as boosters for the RF. Need to see who has them in Edmonton, I can get them from Ontario, but need to spend $500 for free shipping.:eek: Future Shop in South Edmonton Common use to have them, but one of the wholesalers should carry them.

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya that's retail though. Not my price by any means. I sell them to my customers for 90 a piece. Mind you the dimmers are that price. The aux switches I don't remember what they are worth.

Top Bottom