Any Commander reports out there?

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most of them are not owners, just wanna be`s , lol....In fact the most of the pissy ones don`t even own a side/side. What a joke.....

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most of them are not owners, just wanna be`s , lol....In fact the most of the pissy ones don`t even own a side/side. What a joke.....
oh, man i didn't realize....you actually have to own one to know anything about them? LMAO....your logic is the joke here....

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have owned SEVARAL canam /BRP products ,have you owned a rzr ? I did not think so ,yet your an expert on there reliability lol. It`s funny how, you can run them into the ground yet one some mentions your precious canam you tell them to f off.....

PLEASE ,READ this slowly so you can wrap your mind around it. I have owned canams and like then they are at the top of the pile ,HOWEVER ,i am not BLIND enough like you to see that they too have problems like all the rest.
ng.....;)

Wrap your head around this: I have owned more Poolaris products, than you have owned BRP products. Good night .

Do you own a commander....lol . Or are you just an expert on them too....lol
ydhafc....
I've owned as many RZR's as you've owned Commanders...

Last edited:

ridehard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK Commander pilots they've been out for a while now and we would like to hear from you. Pro's / Con's ? Good, Bad or Ugly. What say you?
Last summer, on a pre-production test Commander 1000 XT, purchased by a regional trail group, I personally put on well over 500kms in one day. A good mix of terrain, but no deep mud to speak of. I could count on over 160kms of fuel range per tank, hard acceleration, very good engine braking, extremely comfortable seating and handling, decent ground clearance over many different obstacles, with something that I have seen nobody comment on yet: sliding hi-centred over ridges or obstacles, you can feel the rear trailing arms overextend themselves, and because both rear wheels then contacted the ground squarely (rather than scrubbing in at an angle), they would grab traction and push the sXs over the hump, rarely requiring front-wheel lockup. Like all Can-Am's, in sections of the ride that were in doubt, I would lock-up the all-wheel Visco-Lok and have a comfortable ride thru the challenges up to any top speed, with respectable handling. There's much more good about these new Canadian designed machines that I can see. After 3000kms, no mechanical failures to the test group, and still running very strong, I know what I will be owning some day.
pm me the next time you put on 500kms or more in an off-road day: I've done several now.

oh ya, check out the same machine after 3000k later ridden by young hotrodder from the area at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLYxEIRMGLg

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last summer, on a pre-production test Commander 1000 XT, purchased by a regional trail group, I personally put on well over 500kms in one day. A good mix of terrain, but no deep mud to speak of. I could count on over 160kms of fuel range per tank, hard acceleration, very good engine braking, extremely comfortable seating and handling, decent ground clearance over many different obstacles, with something that I have seen nobody comment on yet: sliding hi-centred over ridges or obstacles, you can feel the rear trailing arms overextend themselves, and because both rear wheels then contacted the ground squarely (rather than scrubbing in at an angle), they would grab traction and push the sXs over the hump, rarely requiring front-wheel lockup. Like all Can-Am's, in sections of the ride that were in doubt, I would lock-up the all-wheel Visco-Lok and have a comfortable ride thru the challenges up to any top speed, with respectable handling. There's much more good about these new Canadian designed machines that I can see. After 3000kms, no mechanical failures to the test group, and still running very strong, I know what I will be owning some day.
pm me the next time you put on 500kms or more in an off-road day: I've done several now.

oh ya, check out the same machine after 3000k later ridden by young hotrodder from the area at: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLYxEIRMGLg[/media]

Yes good feed back indeed. Thankyou.

MHC73

Reaction score
Wellllll. I am a Commander owner and I'll post pics so no one think I'm full of ch!t.

My review is as follows.... Rotax 1000 has great power and is very smooth and has a nice rumble but is not loud. The CVT engages a hair rough. Its when the Primary spools up the weight roll around and clank around but no biggy. I've ordered materials to insulate the CVT to minimize sound. I think that will help. Fit and fin. is great, car like seats and interior ergonomics are great. Very comfortable and tons of storage under the drivers seat and in the massive glove box not to mention that smart lower box. Side nets are a pain in the ass and mine will be removed as soon as my Pro Armors doors arrive. Lighting is very good, not as bright as aftermarket HID's but the best stock lights I've ever seen. The dash switches rock... even the winch has its own OEM switch built into the panel and once I removed the panel I noticed that Can Am put a FULL automotive wiring harness in the unit. Battery is mounted high in the drivers berth with good access and all the electronics are easy to access. Air intake is located beside the glove box and is mounted way up high with the CVT being beside the steering wheel and also up very high and it has a oneway screen. Accessories from Can Am bolt on with no issues and are really thought out. Dump box works well and the lower box seals up okay and stores a big rubber mate tote with lots of room yet. Motor access is tricky with all the push pins to remove. CVT is easy to get to and belts are easy to change but you do need a #8- 75MM metric bolt to compress the primary to get the belt on and off. Power is managed very good thru a good smooth gear box. The Maxxis Big Horns 2.0's are okay; better than most stock tires and chewed good in the snow. Mud, I'm not so sure. I'll be upgrading to 28" Mudlites or 28" Swamplites. Speed is great, we had a brand new X out today and hit 118 on one run and 120 on the second run. These numbers we ran with 2- 6'2" men ( about 475-500lbs) and BRP's roof and 1/3 front window. I was very impressed. I haven't ran mine past 115 due to break in. Visco is always the first question I get. Mine works well, the first test I tried was to see about engagement time. I set up two buddies to watch it hook up from a stop on a drifted hill. Ran the test 5 times and each of the 5 times the Visco hooked up like now. The ITC is a bit of a pain if you like jumping because it cuts out when the machine goes airbourne and you may lawn dart if your not careful. Myself, I don't jump often... so no biggie. ITC does have a very minor delay. In the rough areas you don't get any throttle jerks and makes the delay seem like a very minor problem. The ITC helps huge over rough terrain. The keys are neat. My wife has the grey key which limits the machine to 65k or so... and my black key opens up everything. The performance setting on the dash makes a large difference if your playing in trails where you don't need all the snap it makes the power smoother. Hit the open road and hit the switch and you flat out haul. Low range top speed is about 65k and top end in high is supposed to be 115k but we've gone faster. Plastics on the X scratch like crazy and my Yellow XT wasn't so bad but I put a decal kit on to eliminate scratches. I am very impressed with Can Am's product. We wired a winch kit today on a new "X" and most of the wiring was already installed; was easy to hook up. Who does that with SXS. It's like taking the stereo out of your vehicle and seeing all the extra connections for other models. Can Am pre wired the light system you can install on the roof. Suspension on the XT is better than my Rhino sport piggy back units and with the TTI it floats thru the woops, but it will never beat a long travel buggy even with the "X's" Fox shocks. Steering is light and fast and doesn't steer hard even at lower speeds.

Weak points... yes it has some. Weight. This guy is heavy but doesn't feel heavy at all. Tie Rods are weak and will have to be recalled or like I'm going to do is buy a Turnkey UTV's aftermarket set and never look back. I just can't take the chance of dropping a tie rod at 100k or more. That would hurt.

All said and done... I love this machine. It has the utility I need, the power to go play when you want to, a three year warranty, modern looks with great tech., great parts thru Can Am ( just expensive) and the big Rotax that when modded will make stupid power. Can Am nailed their first attempt on the Commander but you pay for it. I know Can Am has better re-sale and should help years down the road when something else comes out. I always think only a few years ago (2004) when Yamaha released their Rhino.... look how far the SXS's have advanced. I can't imagine 10 more years.... My 2 cents

Attachments

• SAM_0811.jpg
    SAM_0811.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 190
  • SAM_0812.jpg
    SAM_0812.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 195
  • SAM_0801.jpg
    SAM_0801.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 186

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wellllll. I am a Commander owner and I'll post pics so no one think I'm full of ch!t.

My review is as follows.... Rotax 1000 has great power and is very smooth and has a nice rumble but is not loud. The CVT engages a hair rough. Its when the Primary spools up the weight roll around and clank around but no biggy. I've ordered materials to insulate the CVT to minimize sound. I think that will help. Fit and fin. is great, car like seats and interior ergonomics are great. Very comfortable and tons of storage under the drivers seat and in the massive glove box not to mention that smart lower box. Side nets are a pain in the ass and mine will be removed as soon as my Pro Armors doors arrive. Lighting is very good, not as bright as aftermarket HID's but the best stock lights I've ever seen. The dash switches rock... even the winch has its own OEM switch built into the panel and once I removed the panel I noticed that Can Am put a FULL automotive wiring harness in the unit. Battery is mounted high in the drivers berth with good access and all the electronics are easy to access. Air intake is located beside the glove box and is mounted way up high with the CVT being beside the steering wheel and also up very high and it has a oneway screen. Accessories from Can Am bolt on with no issues and are really thought out. Dump box works well and the lower box seals up okay and stores a big rubber mate tote with lots of room yet. Motor access is tricky with all the push pins to remove. CVT is easy to get to and belts are easy to change but you do need a #8- 75MM metric bolt to compress the primary to get the belt on and off. Power is managed very good thru a good smooth gear box. The Maxxis Big Horns 2.0's are okay; better than most stock tires and chewed good in the snow. Mud, I'm not so sure. I'll be upgrading to 28" Mudlites or 28" Swamplites. Speed is great, we had a brand new X out today and hit 118 on one run and 120 on the second run. These numbers we ran with 2- 6'2" men ( about 475-500lbs) and BRP's roof and 1/3 front window. I was very impressed. I haven't ran mine past 115 due to break in. Visco is always the first question I get. Mine works well, the first test I tried was to see about engagement time. I set up two buddies to watch it hook up from a stop on a drifted hill. Ran the test 5 times and each of the 5 times the Visco hooked up like now. The ITC is a bit of a pain if you like jumping because it cuts out when the machine goes airbourne and you may lawn dart if your not careful. Myself, I don't jump often... so no biggie. ITC does have a very minor delay. In the rough areas you don't get any throttle jerks and makes the delay seem like a very minor problem. The ITC helps huge over rough terrain. The keys are neat. My wife has the grey key which limits the machine to 65k or so... and my black key opens up everything. The performance setting on the dash makes a large difference if your playing in trails where you don't need all the snap it makes the power smoother. Hit the open road and hit the switch and you flat out haul. Low range top speed is about 65k and top end in high is supposed to be 115k but we've gone faster. Plastics on the X scratch like crazy and my Yellow XT wasn't so bad but I put a decal kit on to eliminate scratches. I am very impressed with Can Am's product. We wired a winch kit today on a new "X" and most of the wiring was already installed; was easy to hook up. Who does that with SXS. It's like taking the stereo out of your vehicle and seeing all the extra connections for other models. Can Am pre wired the light system you can install on the roof. Suspension on the XT is better than my Rhino sport piggy back units and with the TTI it floats thru the woops, but it will never beat a long travel buggy even with the "X's" Fox shocks. Steering is light and fast and doesn't steer hard even at lower speeds.

Weak points... yes it has some. Weight. This guy is heavy but doesn't feel heavy at all. Tie Rods are weak and will have to be recalled or like I'm going to do is buy a Turnkey UTV's aftermarket set and never look back. I just can't take the chance of dropping a tie rod at 100k or more. That would hurt.

All said and done... I love this machine. It has the utility I need, the power to go play when you want to, a three year warranty, modern looks with great tech., great parts thru Can Am ( just expensive) and the big Rotax that when modded will make stupid power. Can Am nailed their first attempt on the Commander but you pay for it. I know Can Am has better re-sale and should help years down the road when something else comes out. I always think only a few years ago (2004) when Yamaha released their Rhino.... look how far the SXS's have advanced. I can't imagine 10 more years.... My 2 cents

Nice report and great looking machine you have there. Thank you.

MHC73

Reaction score
Thanks. I'm having a difficult time picking aftermarket rubber. I've had a few brands and want something different. I think I'm going to order 27.5" Pit Bull Growlers. Don't want huge mudders but something that works everywhere. Any ideas???? Regards Marc

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think they are great from what i have been told ,never owned any though.A little heavy but very tough and should work well in most terrains . I have not heard how they do in the mud though ,and it`s gonna be muddy this year !
A great tire for you might be the 28" original MudBug ,light ,strong and rides great and works well on every trail.....

Albertan

Reaction score
I would choose Bighorns over Growlers all day long. Both are great tires, don't get me wrong. I just think the Pitbulls are crazy heavy. You can get all the durability you need with Bighorns, and they are a great all around tire. If you still want something different/a little more aggressive, I would suggest looking into the Maxxis Zillas. They are a very light tire that work well around here. I ran 28"ers on my Rhino last season and found them to be fine for trail riding.

I'll be running Bighorns and Zillas on my Rhino this year (on different rims), and Bighorn 2.0s and Zillas or Laws on my XP. HTH.

stadler

Reaction score
all i know that rzr feels like a ford powerstroke...... and commander like a duramax..... i own two can ams and nvr had a freak electronic problem... like i said test drive rzr felt like powerstroke...

MHC73

Reaction score
I just installed the Pro Armor doors tonight and they are great. Fit and finish was also great. Easy to install, maybe a little tougher than normal but they look amazing. I'll post pics soon. Also ordered Pitbull Growlers to give her the aggressive all terrain tire. Also, Pitbulls are radials and 8 ply tires. I have had good luck over the years with tires, but the Can Ams haul so an expensive upgrade was made. Hopefully they are as good as the reviews.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm having a difficult time picking aftermarket rubber. I've had a few brands and want something different. I think I'm going to order 27.5" Pit Bull Growlers. Don't want huge mudders but something that works everywhere. Any ideas???? Regards Marc

I had a set of 27.5 pitbulls on order, a set of 25.5's came in, took a good look at them and I bailed on my order. They "look" nice but the rubber is so soft I cant see them lasting more than one season, and at their price, thats not a good thing. I ended up buying a set of 28" Zilla's instead.

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
all i know that rzr feels like a ford powerstroke...... and commander like a duramax..... i own two can ams and nvr had a freak electronic problem... like i said test drive rzr felt like powerstroke...

Could you use a different analogy please. I don't know what a powerstroke feels like in comparison to a Duramax.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could you use a different analogy please. I don't know what a powerstroke feels like in comparison to a Duramax.
Both are about the same power....one has to be rebuilt/repaired every 3 days... LOL (the Furd)

MHC73

Reaction score
Here's update pics of my Commander XT with the Pro Armor doors. I didn't realize this last night but you get a lot more room inside the machine with these doors. The Commander has good room already but now its even more comfortable and no more BS with the stock side nets...

Attachments

• SAM_0163.jpg
    SAM_0163.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 147
  • SAM_0164.jpg
    SAM_0164.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 152
  • SAM_0165.jpg
    SAM_0165.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 147

CTWilly

Reaction score
I have a 2010 RZR Walker Evans Edition. I went out riding today with a buddy who just bought a Commander. I gotta say that the Commander was impressive. The finish is awesome, it rides really nice and the power is plenty good enough. I have a complete stock engine other than a Dragonfire airbox and I put 28's on 14"rims for tires. We raced from the line and he jumped out by about 30yards and than I stayed with him. Had I had a cluch kit things might have been a little closer. And no, there is no problems with my RZR. There was alot of thought put in to the design of the Commander. As far as i'm concerned all those "brand loyal" people act like a bunch of 10yr olds fighting over their bmx's. This is my second Rzr and I love it but to be honest the Commander is still a sport machine but more practical for Canadian riders due to the terrain. So no bashing of anything here but my next SxS will most likely be a Commander.

Top Bottom