Any Alternative?

young-gun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tunnel being replaced on my 2013 XM. Is there any alternative to dealer cutting out old VIN, and riveting onto my new tunnel?

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If was me I would cut the old one out and keep it but stamp the vin# in the new tunnel.
The lettering may not match up but it will be stamped and you will have record of what was done.
IMO

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If was me I would cut the old one out and keep it but stamp the vin# in the new tunnel.
The lettering may not match up but it will be stamped and you will have record of what was done.
IMO

I just would e worried that stamping might flake the paint off but I guess the factory does it. I think the plate would look better since trying to line up all the individual stamps would be tough.

higher n you

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does it have to be visible? Install it under the seat/hood out of sight?

young-gun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does it have to be visible? Install it under the seat/hood out of sight?

not sure. but if i did, and i got pulled over by cops. If they decided to check vin it would be a nightmare. As i would have to remove hood (XM remember) and pull pipe/exhaust, as only place i see it being able to go is under pipe. Wouldn,t be very enjoyable on side of road, on a sled deck, in -20. Cops prob get fed up and have towed.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran into a similar problem with my street legal dune buggy. The original pan was rusted bad so I did some custom frame work. I also converted the back end from a swing axle to a IRS (Independent rear suspension). The original pan is sitting in my back yard. I was going to cut the original Vin and weld it to my new set up but I just stamped the numbers onto a plate and riveted it on in the same location. Legal??? Not sure. It's registered as a modified 1960 VW Dune Buggy so if it ever comes down to it I'll say well thats part of the modified part :cool:.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tunnel being replaced on my 2013 XM. Is there any alternative to dealer cutting out old VIN, and riveting onto my new tunnel?
I thought the dealer could get it stamped from the factory (BRP)when ordering a new tunnel. I had a bud that had this done about 4 years ago, go above your dealers head or email BRP customer service.

young-gun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought the dealer could get it stamped from the factory (BRP)when ordering a new tunnel. I had a bud that had this done about 4 years ago, go above your dealers head or email BRP customer service.

i figured that would be a given. especially as it is a insurance job.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Wow in 30 years in the industry I have never heard of that. I'd be shocked if they did that in the parts dept of the distribution centre.

BIG-BALLZ

Reaction score

I agree 100% !!!!!!!!!!! There is no way that that could be posed as a legit VIN swap!!!!!!!!! If that was the case then every tom dick and harry can STEAL a sled and just keep swapping VINs out.....

I think when tunnel is ordered, VIN should AUTOMATICALLY be stamped in, and there is then no issue...... I can see them having to cut the vin out of the old tunnel (cant have 2 with the same VIN) but Hacking into a new tunnel and bubble-gumming it onto a new one.. NO EFFIN WAY will I let that stand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Seems fishy.....

So u get pulled over, cop notices a chunk of alloy riveted onto a brand new tunnel trying to pass as a VIN, don't you think that would raise some eyebrows... Gets guy to remove and then finds nothing underneath...???? HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM... I smell a tow job and investigation coming on...

No other way that I see other than stamping new tunnel...... Every-ones happy... I know Id be pissed if it was my brand new insurance repaired 2013 sled with a bandaid VIN tag........

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
New VIN, or sled is registered as a "custom", which reqires an inspection by an IBC inspector. Ran into this a couple years back when insuring a custom harley, he had a look at my M1000 with a VE tunnel & stated it had to be registered as a custom build, showing a orgin for the tunnel & any reciepts, and proof of the old tunnel...quite a process, $450 for inspection

BIG-BALLZ

Reaction score
New VIN, or sled is registered as a "custom", which reqires an inspection by an IBC inspector. Ran into this a couple years back when insuring a custom harley, he had a look at my M1000 with a VE tunnel & stated it had to be registered as a custom build, showing a orgin for the tunnel & any reciepts, and proof of the old tunnel...quite a process, $450 for inspection

There ya go...... is the shop going to pay for your inspection Young-gun?????? PUT ON THE GLOVES BUD!!!!!!!!

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow in 30 years in the industry I have never heard of that. I'd be shocked if they did that in the parts dept of the distribution centre.
It's not done at the parts depot it's done at the manufacturer. The shop has to cut out the old stamped area and courier it for getting a new one with the existing VIN stamped on the new tunnel.

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just would e worried that stamping might flake the paint off but I guess the factory does it. I think the plate would look better since trying to line up all the individual stamps would be tough.

No Beers till the stampings done.

Top Bottom