A Sad Avy Lesson Learned

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I found this on SnoWest. Something to think about about when making decisions in the backcountry.

Accident & Rescue Summary:

Four snowmobile riders were out for a day of snowmobiling. Rider A had recently opened a snowmobile shop in Richfield and had a fair bit of experience in avalanche country. Rider B was a friend and had the most experience in avalanche terrain out of the group. He was the most familiar with the terrain and perhaps has the best sense of snow stability. Rider C was rider A's father. Rider D was working for rider A and had very little experience on a sled and virtually no experience in avalanche terrain. A, B, and C were carrying beacons, shovels and probes. Rider D did not have avalanche gear. Rider B had been to a few local avalanche training seminars with some field training also. He states he is quite comfortable using his transceiver.

Rider B said that they were out boondocking for the day with no intention of doing any hill climbing. He was very aware of the dangerous weak snow near the ground as well as the recent snowfall which had created a slab which had produced a recent widespread natural avalanche cycle.

At the end of the day, the group was going to exit the backcountry and they were looking for the fastest route out. They chose to utilize a summer road that crossed an avalanche path. Rider B had traveled down the road the previous week and his tracks were still visible. It was 5pm or a little later. He started up the road and was about half way across the path when he felt the entire pack move. The next thing he knew, he was being pushed off the road. He then said that snow was washing over him and he was engulfed. Luckily, he was not knocked off the sled and was able to grab a full handful of throttle which propelled him back out of the churning snow and he was able to ride to safety.

When he came to a stop, riders C and D were on the opposite side of the path and had not been caught. Rider A was no where to be seen. They speculated that Rider A had been following Rider B and had been buried but none of them had seen him get caught.

Rider B and C turned their transceivers to receive and started the search. They stated that there were some problems with cell phone interference and turned off their cell phones. They were at the toe of the slide and started to walk uphill with their transceivers searching for a signal. They were unable to locate an initial signal. After an hour, it was decided that they needed to get outside help and ultimately, rider B rode to a location where his cell phone worked and called for help. Upon his return, the group was able to spot part of Rider A's sled just sticking out of the snow. It was well after dark at this point. Upon nearing the buried sled, both transceivers started to receive a signal. At this point, they quickly located Rider A who was buried under at least 4 feet of snow and downhill of the buried sled by about 50 feet. They dug him up but it was too late.

Comments: Rider B is very perplexed as to why neither he nor Rider C didn't pick up an initial signal quickly. Rider B states they walked very close to where Rider A was found and did not receive a signal until later when they returned back down the path.

Rider B was very adamant about staying off steep slopes during the day. He stated that they would climb the avalanche slope under more stable conditions but were not willing to do it this season. He admits that it was foolish to use the road which cuts through the path. He states that their choice was made out of being tired and wanting to head home the quickest way.

To me, this is an easy mistake to make. The road is a very pronounced cut through the slope which I could see could give a false sense of security, although Rider B openly states he knew better. Taking short cuts while being fatigued is a common theme in accidents and is a very easy mistake to make. These guys were correct in avoiding any hill climbing because of known avalanche danger but the rush to get "back to the barn" caused them to chance crossing the exact slope that they were not willing to climb. Thank you Rider B for being willing to talk about this incident which, hopefully, others can learn from.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow incredible story and a very sad one at that! I wonder if the 2 searchers beacons were maybe interferring with each other? I know you are supposed to let 1 guy do the beacon search and then when signal is located call in the guy with the probe and starting probing and shoveling. sure makes you look at what is above you in the backcountry.

Ride Whistler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sad story...More information is needed though to determine why they didn't pick up a signal. Which tranceiver did each person have on them and what were their battery strengths? Did any of them have any gps products turned on? Rhinos, etc.. Some tough lessons learned here for sure...if you choose to ignore the high warnings and cross an avy path please do it one at a time. If you see an avy occur please watch the victims to see where they may end up. Choose a leader. Do a head count. Leader gets EVERYONE to switch tranceivers to search. Before entering do a quick scene survey to make sure it's safe to enter the area (you don't want another avy to come down on the rescuers), look for visual clues like a sled, gloves, boots, etc. Do an organized signal search with nobody more than 20 meters apart from each other. Again, we don't know all of the details of this accident so we can't really determine why they failed to pick up a signal. Please be safe out there....

Last edited:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, did not know that only one person is supposed to use a tranceiver in a search. Thanks for the heads up Chris!

Ride Whistler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jared- it depends on the size of the debris pile. If the debris pile is 40 meters wide or less one searcher could walk up the middle of it and do a signal search but with only two searchers I would have both searching. In this case it sounds like a fairly big slide so the two people with tranceivers should both be searching 20 meters apart (or less) until the entire area has been covered.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
guess it all depends on the size of the slide the course i took I was told to try and keep it to a minimum to try and not have mass confusion.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yup exactly right chris! this sounds like it was a pretty large slide. wish there was some more info try and figure out what exactly caused the no signal lots of different factors can cause that but sad experience

Ride Whistler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The importance of choosing a leader right away....hopefully the one that has the most knowledge and leadership skills to organize the search properly. The idea of tge signal search is to cover the entire area in a grid pattern as fast as possible but without letting any piece of the grid go more than 20 meters away from a searcher. If this fails after searching the entire area and seeing no visual clues I would tighten up the search pattern. Maybe his batteries were low....maybe he had a Rhino GPS in his pocket, maybe he had a faulty beacon. Everyone who rides with me must do a beacon check in the lt to make sure it's on their body, it's turned on, the batteries are good and it is sending a signal. Once a week I do a range check or after any impact. Sometimes an impact can effect tge range of a trnceiver and it may need to be repaired or replaced. To perform a range check have one person stand 80 meters away with their tranceievr on send. Each person is on receive and walk one at a time toward the signal. Most new tranceivers should pick up a signal from at least 40-60 meters away. If your tranceiver acts strange as you are walking toward the sending unit or doesn't pick it up until you are close then it could be damaged. If everyome gets a poor result then the sending unit could be damaged (so make sure the sending tranceiver is working right). It's a great way to make sure your tranceiver is working at it's optimum range.

flying frenchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, did not know that only one person is supposed to use a tranceiver in a search. Nothing like this was said when I took my avy course. Everyone can search with their tranceiver is what was told us on the hill.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it's more or less to try and organize a leader get things calmed down a bit like chris stated it depends on the size as well but you just dont want a bunch of guys running all over the slope you want a nice organized search is what i was getting at sometimes it works better with just one guy sometimes works better with more. sorry for the confusion on my post I meant it as more of a get the situation calmed down and designate a leader to statrt the search my appologizes for the confusion

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
searching beacons do NOT affect each other.

you are NOT supposed to turn off your beacon while on the hill and you sure aren't supposed to leave it on transmit during a search.

I've seen the havoc caused by cell phones / FRS radios or any other electronic device on digital beacons. i would throw those items aside or turn them off if i can't get a signal and know im within range

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, did not know that only one person is supposed to use a tranceiver in a search. Nothing like this was said when I took my avy course. Everyone can search with their tranceiver is what was told us on the hill.

Unfortunately having known someone who died in an avy and there were people walking around with beacons on transmit instead of receive, in the heat of the moment you really gotta remember to switch the beacon. As to why a signal was not received there could be several reasons, the ones mentioned above being one of them, could have been operator error, equipment malfunction/damage, interference, etc. Easy to speculate but in the end it doesn't matter, that guy is still gone. We all know the risks, an avy can kill you and your brain does not process information very well when you are frantically searching and knowing this might be your best friends fate. It does not make things any easier after the fact either and these guys will have to live with the final images of their friend for a long time.

I wish the survivors cherished memories of their fallen comrade and hope that none of you ever have to go through this.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow....almost looks from the first pic they could have gone right of the trail and would have been safe. I can see how you could get a false sense of security traveling on a road. Tragic.......

Highmarker03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Posted this in the other Avy thread, but good for everyone to look at all of these reports this year. Hope people can learn some things from these.

http://avalanche.org/accidents.php

the report for 2/13/12 shows a snowboarder caught and killed. With a deployed airbag AND avalung! Just goes to show you can't put too much faith in those things. I have a bag and wear it every ride, but don't think you are 100% safe just because you have one! Just another tool to help up the odds.

Last edited:

RevyG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sad to read this as I have also lost a few friends to avalanches, but just backs me up whenI tell people I won't ride with them if they do not have avy gear and Know how to use it. People can jump on me if they want for being negative, but if riders A & B had experience they would never had rider D with no gear, no experience.Simple. It's ALL hands on deck in an emergency. It is even more tragic if we donot learn from this.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow those are quite the pics I to can see how they were decieved a bit to go that way it really doesnt look all that bad. but hey terrain traps it doesnt gotta be a big slide or a deep one wrong terrain trap and its done. sad sad day

K

Kavaleen

Very sorry for the families and friends of this fella. There are lots of search strageties and the easiest wasy to learn them is to take a course and then practice with your riding group. Proactive is a way better state to be in than reactive.

Top Bottom