a new revolution

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So years ago guys were building mod sleds because the OEM's were building crappy trail sleds and they really did not work well in the mountains. They were under powered, heavy and did not handle well for the steep and deep. We must really take a minute and remember the big bore's with custom cases and cylinders and carbed turbo's. Those builders spent thousands to make something special. Now most guys are riding stockers or slightly enhanced sleds that have some plug and play power added. The days of ground up mods are long gone and in some ways we are better and in other ways it is sad that we may not see motors like Union Bay and other small shop builds ever again. So what's next (stolen from Doo) I think there are many happy with out of the box performance and out of the box problems that go along with factory designs but there are a few of us that are getting fed up. We cannot go completely back to the drawing board and redesign motors, suspension and chassis but we find ourselves in a unique position with some advantages. I am talking about a new revolution of the modern mod sled. So new sleds are pricey and some have issues but when I look at the value of my trade ins I can't help think that I should keep them and invest into them. There are a ton of sleds for sale that have great features. Either great motors, track, suspension or chassis. These sleds are really going cheap. It is time for guys to start building again. Long tracks, deep lugs, big power etc. It does not have to cost much these days if you find a good starter sled. Use used parts and build your dream. Keep in mind this was impossible years ago when the stock sleds had short tracks and no power. So what about warranty? Screw warranty! Most claims are denied anyway because it's a wear item. You can build your mod for half the price of a new sled and if it blows, oh well.

I think "What's Next" will be a new revolution of mod sleds and the pride it brings with your build!

Or go trade your sled in for 1/3 you paid after 2 years.

Anybody got a slightly used turbo for sale?

Last edited:

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree. I picked up this 13 pro for $7000 with the MTNTK fix kit. Stretched it out to a 174 did the MTNTK turbo and zbros a arms. Was into this sled for way less than a new stocker was. And it rips. 2 years of problem free riding. It may not be the latest and greatest but I was tired of being a guinea pig and this sled has been dialed in since day one.

Attachments

• IMG_0032.jpg
    IMG_0032.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 730

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
E60455FF-B02A-4E8A-BA28-DE61E363E91E.jpg

F81ACCDF-1A13-4414-9D3C-761D09FD4D2D.jpg

97CEF718-F1DD-41D6-A75B-A49BD37FCA86.jpg

Being far far from the mountains and having poor snow at home for years leads to building for me. Won't see many sleds like mine that's for sure. A SnoPro Race chassis sled. Extended out to 162" with a hom built rear tunnel section. Drop brackets, m8 running boards, m8 motor, aerochargee turbo. Almost nothing on it is store bought. Mix matched from a bunch of different sleds. Linderman cut down my a arms and narrowed them. Went from a 43" stance to a 38" put on some Proclimb spindles so I didn't have to use the massive 3" wide anchors. Interesting sled. Just havent had much time to use it really. Got out with it twice last winter and was mainly trying to tune it.

Find working on my own things gives me a peace of mind knowing it's done right. And usually the first time out done by someone else leads to problems. Plus having that knowledge of how things go together gives you an advantage if something goes wrong out riding, as long as the headstrong people are willing to listen.

Last edited:

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
0E983E9B-3A39-4533-A57C-08A3F6BFCA15.jpg

78C47DF8-0FAC-4E9D-B3DF-1713F93538E3.jpg

BA10EF74-E714-4D07-94A6-99DC99BAFB2C.jpg

IMG_1713.jpg

This ones a little bit different, a bit of a Frankenstein sled. Started off as a 04' f7 128". Now it has a d&d big bore 800, rktek head, speedwerx lightened crank shaft with titanium rods, aerocharger turbo, narrowed front titanium arms, titanium spring for the shocks, 153" track, sabercat shorty seat, I moved the steering post forward 3" for more rider forward, build an a-frame to support the steering post, mounted all the gauges for e turbo on the gauges cluster, all the wok done myself again on this one. But less professional on the tunnel extension, didn't use the plasma table for this one.

I know most won't care, especially comparing to niners sled, but if this firecat would've been done back in its day it would be a pretty cool sled

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g79/halfsoldier/E60455FF-B02A-4E8A-BA28-DE61E363E91E.jpg
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g79/halfsoldier/F81ACCDF-1A13-4414-9D3C-761D09FD4D2D.jpg
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g79/halfsoldier/97CEF718-F1DD-41D6-A75B-A49BD37FCA86.jpg

Being far far from the mountains and having poor snow at home for years leads to building for me. Won't see many sleds like mine that's for sure. A SnoPro Race chassis sled. Extended out to 162" with a hom built rear tunnel section. Drop brackets, m8 running boards, m8 motor, aerochargee turbo. Almost nothing on it is store bought. Mix matched from a bunch of different sleds. Linderman cut down my a arms and narrowed them. Went from a 43" stance to a 38" put on some Proclimb spindles so I didn't have to use the massive 3" wide anchors. Interesting sled. Just havent had much time to use it really. Got out with it twice last winter and was mainly trying to tune it.

Find working on my own things gives me a peace of mind knowing it's done right. And usually the first time out done by someone else leads to problems. Plus having that knowledge of how things go together gives you an advantage if something goes wrong out riding, as long as the headstrong people are willing to listen.

that looks syck!

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why not look at other options, a snow bike kit for your 500? Why spend money on modding when you have a great platform to build a great snowbike on change it up completely and still have a sled to ride.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why not look at other options, a snow bike kit for your 500? Why spend money on modding when you have a great platform to build a great snowbike on change it up completely and still have a sled to ride.

Maybe that too. Looking for that market to shake out a bit first.

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With the way prices are going on new sleds (nowhere but up like everything else these days) i think people including myself are riding old iron and putting that saved money into making them better. For example im a doo guy and i could have went and bought an 850, BUT i like the xm chasis and with a few modifications like torsion spacers and some shocks and what not and i more then happy to ride the xms until there is none left. I decided to put a boost it turbo on one for the fun factor, and made my own rear skid to get rid of the t motion with the same factory geometry. all these machines are so capable and not very many of us can ride them to the full potential even in stock form.

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe that too. Looking for that market to shake out a bit first.
What are you wanting to shake out of the snowbike market? There are some pretty good setups out there. Used prices are decent too. Sounds like you have the bike already so your 1/2 way there. Keep your sled too, seems like a lot of guys are doing that as well.

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So years ago guys were building mod sleds because the OEM's were building crappy trail sleds and they really did not work well in the mountains. They were under powered, heavy and did not handle well for the steep and deep. We must really take a minute and remember the big bore's with custom cases and cylinders and carbed turbo's. Those builders spent thousands to make something special. Now most guys are riding stockers or slightly enhanced sleds that have some plug and play power added. The days of ground up mods are long gone and in some ways we are better and in other ways it is sad that we may not see motors like Union Bay and other small shop builds ever again. So what's next (stolen from Doo) I think there are many happy with out of the box performance and out of the box problems that go along with factory designs but there are a few of us that are getting fed up. We cannot go completely back to the drawing board and redesign motors, suspension and chassis but we find ourselves in a unique position with some advantages. I am talking about a new revolution of the modern mod sled. So new sleds are pricey and some have issues but when I look at the value of my trade ins I can't help think that I should keep them and invest into them. There are a ton of sleds for sale that have great features. Either great motors, track, suspension or chassis. These sleds are really going cheap. It is time for guys to start building again. Long tracks, deep lugs, big power etc. It does not have to cost much these days if you find a good starter sled. Use used parts and build your dream. Keep in mind this was impossible years ago when the stock sleds had short tracks and no power. So what about warranty? Screw warranty! Most claims are denied anyway because it's a wear item. You can build your mod for half the price of a new sled and if it blows, oh well.

I think "What's Next" will be a new revolution of mod sleds and the pride it brings with your build!

Or go trade your sled in for 1/3 you paid after 2 years.

Anybody got a slightly used turbo for sale?

I have a 2009 Mountain Magic M8 Turbo. Around 1300 miles. Was the complete build for 2009.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What are you wanting to shake out of the snowbike market? There are some pretty good setups out there. Used prices are decent too. Sounds like you have the bike already so your 1/2 way there. Keep your sled too, seems like a lot of guys are doing that as well.

More about getting more exposure so I know what works and what doesn't. There may be, or may not be the need for any improvement of the products on the market but I am not as familiar with them as I would like.

b_doornenbal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a pro that has all the parts you need, boost it WTA turbo, baker skid, 3 inch , raptors, zbroz 36 front end etc etc .... it's getting tired but if someone had a pro and wanted to have the rest for a parts sled it would be perfect !

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Awesome topic Teth-Air. This struggle is very real and has become a highly discussed topic these days. Whats ironic is how the oems have taken all the pages of the mod shop play books and tried to build their own light weight mountain mod sleds. Roll the hands of time back extrovert drivers, shallow attack angles, more rider forward positioning and 36' ski stances were the back bone of a solid mountain mod sled. Ironically enough manufacturers were using the exact opposite of these which allowed the mod industry to accel and build solid performing, substantially better than stock sleds. Roll the hands of time up to current date, with the exception of shallow attack angles, all these items are now available off the show room floor. That all being said the list of problems your purchasing with a 15-20,000.00 dollar stock sled seems to be growing. I am certainly seeing an influx of sleds that are say 5-7years old coming in for mod work, spending half or less what a new stock sled is worth and will out perform the new and "improved" all day long. Not to knock the new stuff, there is some really cool technology out there now, but it makes the struggle real for us shops to over come oem issues and offer a solid build without completely breaking the bank. Electronics is probably the biggest stumbling block we face these days in relation to getting more hp out of our engines. There are only so many mechanical ways you can realistically create more power out of a stroke engine as those basic operating principals havent changed since the beginning of the 2 stroke engine. What has changed however is the electronics that control these engines and the way they manipulate fuel and timing to keep them together. None the less onwards and upwards, its a very cool industry, with some very cool people. Its not without its struggles but thats what keeps us on our toes constantly striving for more. Who knows "old school" might just become cool again.

Deano

Mad Motorsports

Rene G

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a pro that has all the parts you need, boost it WTA turbo, baker skid, 3 inch , raptors, zbroz 36 front end etc etc .... it's getting tired but if someone had a pro and wanted to have the rest for a parts sled it would be perfect !

Tell me more about this "parts sled" that you have, I'm interested..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

revbyu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes very interesting - have 15xm with few miles , upgrading to the G4 chasis would b at around 10k - could spend that on the 15 - chasis , engine --- etc - hmmm !!??

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes very interesting - have 15xm with few miles , upgrading to the G4 chasis would b at around 10k - could spend that on the 15 - chasis , engine --- etc - hmmm !!??

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
Cheating again are we??

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

geo

Reaction score
I wouldn't call it a revolution Teth Air. More like evolution that's needed or the sport will go the way of heli sking. Only the rich survived.

Top Bottom