A great avy video to learn from

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the guy burried with no beacon should be charged and fined for his actions

I'm curious.....charged with what? If bad judgement was a crime every one of us would be in jail for one reason or another. I give him total credit for admitting he fawked up, and sharing it with us so we could learn from it.

But I guess some of you have nothing left to learn in life huh! :nono:

island rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow...i have to say this....

this video makes our sport look REALLY bad. i would actually like to see it removed...thats how bad it makes us look. more ammo for the naysayers. i mean the guy didnt even have a beacon????? who the hell rides in the mtns without one??? no one had a shovel on their persons??? then there is the GLARING slide to the right, obvious repeating slide hill.

the the hysterical wife in the mix diggin with her hands??? get her out of there and keep the calm. what if this would have turned out worse...he had passed...thats great for her to see.

i think the only good in this video...the guy was wearing Klim...lol

is there a "hate" button?

btw not towards the op..lol. just hate this video...ALOT.

i took my avy one course 4 years ago...our group rides pretty tight and fairly safe practice with the beacons....i still feel i need more training. these guys are idiots.

Just like a fort st johner to say something stupid .

PJ440x

Reaction score
I think any info that is shared about Avy's can only be a good thing!!!! Even if it is repeated! Especially for those of us who are not perfect!!!! :realmad:

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for this post Chris. This was actually quite instructive as it shows that a hill with multiple highmarks can still slide. A lot of times, we get a false sense of security when we see a lot of tracks on a hill or a lot of guys riding it. The reality is that a hill is just as likely to slide after the first poke as it is after the 20th.

2009 avy fatality in Clemina happened after they had been on the slope for 90 minutes, it isn't always the first mark on the hill that causes the avy.

Some important info in the video. Avy gear they had failed! 2 broken shovels and probes came apart, no cables in the probes. I know I will check my probe closer as it is 6 years old, or maybe just replace it.

Every avy has the ability to teach us something. Whether we learn from them is up to us!!
:D

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just like a fort st johner to say something stupid .

Haha yep i guess I got something diffrent from the vid,Thank god! we all make stupid mistakes [yes] even you Himark.This is a example how easy it happen and i for one need the reminder ''how easy and fast it can happen''THANKS for the vid.

BirdieO

Reaction score
the the hysterical wife in the mix diggin with her hands??? get her out of there and keep the calm. what if this would have turned out worse...he had passed...thats great for her to see.

Speaking from experience here, Himark, there isn't enough strength in 100 men that would have been able to 'keep the calm' with that 'hysterical wife'. If the day ever comes that you lose your spouse in a tragic and sudden way, maybe you'll understand...my hope is that you never have to experience that. One thing I can tell you for certain, if this guy had perished, it wouldn't be the sight of her husband's corpse that would haunt her...it would have been that she didn't try hard enough to save him and all the mistakes and poor judgement calls made that day would be enough to put her in the loony bin!!

I think that the fact that you can hear her chilling screaming in the background of this video should stand as a reminder to us all that we have loved ones at home that need & want us to come back from the mountains each and every time...maybe thinking about the absolute devastation and crippling grief that your spouse would experience if you didn't make it back would be enough to call it good for a day when all you want to do is push the limit that little bit further...

renegade x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very educational, and a great wake up call for many.Thanks for the vid

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think by posting this video, Chris was hoping to have a healthy discussion on "mistakes not to make in the backcountry". There has been lots of name-calling, pointing fingers, etc, which isn't necessary ... and I don't think that this was Chris' intent when he started this thread. Although I have taken my AST 1 and am always trying to keep my skills honed, this video has reinforced the importance of having properly functioning avy gear.

Believe it or not, there are still sledders out there that don't wear the proper safety gear. Even scarier than that, is that a big percentage wear the gear BUT DON'T KNOW HOW TO USE IT!!!! On occasion, although I hate to admit it....I have been guilty of forgetting to turn my beacon on! How do I learn from this mistake and make sure it doesn't happen again? By making sure someone in our group EACH AND EVERY time does a beacon check!

I think any video that shows mistakes made and how we can learn from them is valuable. Maybe by watching this, more peeps will make avy safety a bigger priority next time they head out.....at the end of the day I think all of us want to get home safe to our families.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would like to know what shovels and probes (or sticks...) these guys were using that failed.

That would be fantastic information.

Dude was lucky. Real lucky.

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Because of this video and post my group planned to spend time on our next day to go through a couple of rescue scenarios ..

It is important to practice WITH YOUR GROUP. Some have taken different courses, some have forgotten things and some haven't taken courses.

Take the time to practice with your whole group. plant 1-2 spare beacons, go through the full rescue motion, practice taking charge and taking direction so that "as a group" you are more prepared.

As you can see from this video one hysterical person, some failed equipment or not having practice as a group can cause havoc.

As sledders our shovels get put to test on a daily basis, when was the last time you actually tested your beacon and probe ?

I'm glad this fella came out alive and I'm more glad that he's telling the tale and thanks to Chris for making this post.

BirdieO

Reaction score
Awesome! Way to take initiative and take your safety into your own hands...you and your group are setting an awesome example...thanks for posting!!

We test our beacons every single ride but the probe and shovel could definitely use some more consistent testing

Because of this video and post my group planned to spend time on our next day to go through a couple of rescue scenarios ..

It is important to practice WITH YOUR GROUP. Some have taken different courses, some have forgotten things and some haven't taken courses.

Take the time to practice with your whole group. plant 1-2 spare beacons, go through the full rescue motion, practice taking charge and taking direction so that "as a group" you are more prepared.

As you can see from this video one hysterical person, some failed equipment or not having practice as a group can cause havoc.

As sledders our shovels get put to test on a daily basis, when was the last time you actually tested your beacon and probe ?

I'm glad this fella came out alive and I'm more glad that he's telling the tale and thanks to Chris for making this post.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm curious.....charged with what? If bad judgement was a crime every one of us would be in jail for one reason or another. I give him total credit for admitting he fawked up, and sharing it with us so we could learn from it.

But I guess some of you have nothing left to learn in life huh! :nono:

I don't take this lightly so I rather put a point across how plain stupid it was especially no beacon bad equipment and terrible judgement. I do learn every day actually but I don't want ignorance to take my sport away.

Like I said bad judgment would be poking the hill no tools no beacon and poking that hill is not bad judgment he knew it was wrong but still chose to put everyone in that situation.

Bad judgment = 4 beers and drive

Plain stupid decision = 12 beers and drive

To me these are two completely different scenarios IMO

P.s. I wish no harm to no one

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You are absolutely correct about the importance of practising with your equipment in your regular group. However don't get to deep into the habit of allowing the same person to take charge repeatedly as this will really cause confusion the day that person is missing or they are the one in trouble. Pick one and a designated alternate at the beginning of the ride to help reduce organization time when required.. Otherwise good on your group for taking this unfortunate event as a learning tool.

Himark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Speaking from experience here, Himark, there isn't enough strength in 100 men that would have been able to 'keep the calm' with that 'hysterical wife'. If the day ever comes that you lose your spouse in a tragic and sudden way, maybe you'll understand...my hope is that you never have to experience that. One thing I can tell you for certain, if this guy had perished, it wouldn't be the sight of her husband's corpse that would haunt her...it would have been that she didn't try hard enough to save him and all the mistakes and poor judgement calls made that day would be enough to put her in the loony bin!!

I think that the fact that you can hear her chilling screaming in the background of this video should stand as a reminder to us all that we have loved ones at home that need & want us to come back from the mountains each and every time...maybe thinking about the absolute devastation and crippling grief that your spouse would experience if you didn't make it back would be enough to call it good for a day when all you want to do is push the limit that little bit further...

thats the thing...i dont make up things. having been a volunteer fire fighter, on the fire brigade at work, advance wilderness first aid, a canoe kayake guide, search and rescue...i HAVE some experience. not much but enough to say your 100 men comment is bogus and untrue. the very FIRST thing a first aider/medic/emergency personnel do...assess the situation, take CONTROL. you really think that emergency people let family run into a burning house after loved ones? think it takes a hundred men?

not gonna debate any further...people read what they want to read. i mentioned in my posts that we take chances out there, no body is perfect, i make mistakes all the time. but i do my best to ensure all my equipment works before every ride. a simple pre-trip will eliminate alot of headaches and most importantly make the risks we take smaller. some think of this as educational, some dont. i dont need to see a vid to remind me to wear a beacon, to know that a hill like that is unstable. i dont need that video to remind me to keep a shovel on my persons. if you and others do....ok. has nothing to do with being perfect. FAR from perfect. i ride with others on this site. they can vouch for my thinking. we discuss areas when we get there (happened on tuesday)...how does it look? and as a group decide if its safe. a simple discussion can go a long way.

anyhow...im done, sorry to offend...i just love this sport so much. hate to see what we do bashed to ch!t and questioned all the time. this vid should not have gone to the news. that was my biggest issue.

Last edited:

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We test our beacons every single ride but the probe and shovel could definitely use some more consistent testing

Have you ever tried the beacon park when you ride Lumberton? That is a real eye opener for those that have not done regular search training.
Testing at the parking lot to make sure they are transmitting and recieving is a good start but actually going through the motions is important too.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't take this lightly so I rather put a point across how plain stupid it was especially no beacon bad equipment and terrible judgement. I do learn every day actually but I don't want ignorance to take my sport away.

Like I said bad judgment would be poking the hill no tools no beacon and poking that hill is not bad judgment he knew it was wrong but still chose to put everyone in that situation.

Bad judgment = 4 beers and drive

Plain stupid decision = 12 beers and drive

To me these are two completely different scenarios IMO

P.s. I wish no harm to no one

Call it bad judgement, or call it just plain stupid......hell, you can call it a pink chicken for all I care! You still didn't answer my question. What statute or regulation would you like him charged or fined under? Gotta think before you spout out crap like this. It gives the enviro loonies just as much ammunition against us as an avalanche video does. Trust me...I've seen it. They already want us legislated out of the back country. Now they can stretch the truth and say snowmobilers agree there should be penalties for this type of action. Add that to "noisy sleds", "wolves following sled tracks", "leaking oil & gas all over the snow", "alchoholic rednecks" or any one of dozens of BS excuses I've heard them use and you'd understand that a comment like yours does none of us any good! :D

Last edited:

Team Pigeon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I vote WICKED VIDEO and I'm forwarding it to all my sledneck contacts tonight. Although immeasurable, this video WILL SAVE A LIFE. A little bad media, whatever. We can handle it, we see the ignorance in stupid one-liners comments from the nay-sayers. Some people here got lots of training, got lots of education, got lots of exposure, got lots of money, got lots of miles. Some people don't. That's called life. The more we spread the word on the who what where when whys and hows of backcountry safety- the better. From what to carry in your pack, how to boil water, how to give better directions all the way to how to dig your husband out with your hands is beneficial intel. Our community have all got to get on board in order to have the general public seeing us doing our best and striving for excellence rather than covering up the facts.

EMANAARON

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is definitely an Eye opener. I don't even remember the last time i made a Highmark 2Years ago, I just don't see the thrill in it.The longest pull I have ever done was this year In the Trees 1.5Mins LG. I do understand that you can still have an Avy in the Trees and Low angled terrain and you still have to watch out for these things. 3 years ago when I first started Riding In the Mountains I will admit we were STUPID, Riding with No beacon,or Probes, Climbing in Avy Terrain. Now we don't Ride anything much other than Low angle Terrain and Trees, However there are times when we make our way throughout Avy terrain to Get to New riding spots.We just Don't test our luck and make sure there is always someone In a Safe location while the other makes their way across.

My dad and I ride together, both of us have Beacon,Probe,Shovel, ABS Bag, Spot, Radios ,AST1. While we were taking the AST1 Course we learned that the Shovels we had wernt Sufficient for effective Chopping and Digging in loose snow let along Hardpacked AVY snow. First thing I did when I went home was buy a New shovel.

Anyone that rides with us at a minimum must have Beacon, Probe, and Shovel and know how to use it. we also recommend they get AST1 as well.

Now I wouldn't even leave the Parking lot without the gear. Its a good video to learn from.

Last edited:

EMANAARON

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One guy we rode with asked us if we knew how to use our beacons we told him we did. He then said turn around and he chucked his beacon out into the snow near the parking lot and said " Now find my beacon or you owe me $400".

Top Bottom