97 MM700 no spark

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
Was gonna go for a ride this morning and no start, which is very uncharacteristic of this sled. It's never not started. Done the routine things like check/change plugs, operation of all switches, make sure it's all on, dumped some gas in the cylinders. Compression is good. Essentially it all checks out but I have no spark, which is odd cause I just got back from a 100+ km ride last night and it was running excellent. Wondering if there are some known electrical issues I should be checking into. I am gonna pick up some brand new plugs today and try that, but I think it would be odd to foul all 3 plugs at once and not even try to fire. Any ideas would be great. Thanks

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check the thgrottle safety swith. It's the two wires coming out from where the throttle cable hooks to the carb rack. Unplug it and loop the two wires on the wiring harness side and plug them together and see if you have spark. Those switches have been known to give a guy trouble.

Taylzee

Reaction score
I would test your stator. The throttle over ride which was refered to above me, should not cause you to lose spark. The only things that can cause no spark are 1.bad coils (rare for all three to go at once). 2.wire rubbed through causing a short 3.pooped stator. 4.all your plug wires and caps (again very rare for all three to go at once) I had this happen to me on a 2001 MM700. Fine one ride, gone the next. New stator and good to go! The other thing that would be too simple would be a bad switch...either your key switch or kill switch.

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
Well I pulled out the bible and started researching the ignition system and troubleshooting. Gotta get a multimeter and start checking resistance and continuity of all switches. Hope it's a simple fix as I might go through withdrawal if I can't ride.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just two weeks ago i had a mm700 that was poppin and fartin and then no spark what so ever and i by passed it and then it ran flawlessly for the last few days that they were in town riding. And as far as i know it's still workin good. When a person bypasses it though you should definitely have tether cord installed on your sled.

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
Well I got out the multi meter and this is what I found
Key, kill, and throttle switches all operating properly.
Carb switch has continuity at all times = faulty, but should only affect TORS system, not cause no spark.
Ignition coils and plug caps within proper resistance ranges.
Source coil and pickup coils - no readings. It's neither low or high for resistance. Meter just shows OL when connected to proper leads.

So I'm guessing I need to replace the stator (CDI magneto). Anyone got an idea as to the cost and should just get a yamaha OEM or is there better aftermarket ones available?

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I got out the multi meter and this is what I found
Key, kill, and throttle switches all operating properly.
Carb switch has continuity at all times = faulty, but should only affect TORS system, not cause no spark.
Ignition coils and plug caps within proper resistance ranges.
Source coil and pickup coils - no readings. It's neither low or high for resistance. Meter just shows OL when connected to proper leads.

So I'm guessing I need to replace the stator (CDI magneto). Anyone got an idea as to the cost and should just get a yamaha OEM or is there better aftermarket ones available?

being a bit familiar with the yamaha's :d:d i concur with Glen the tors (throttle override switch) wires that he talks about has definitely been a issue on some units in the past, unfortunately we have also had a select few stator failures, they do have separate replace able coils though so you could get lucky. one of the issue we found more common is a pulser coil - two wires one white one red, screws to the stator...and prob the cheapest fix if your that lucky..... im sure we have them in stock or your local yamaha dealer could get it for you. let me know if thats what you need i could give you the part number and price...

good luck

T

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
I rechecked and the white/red white/green wires for the pick up coil were in spec. The source coil being the other plug with black, brown/black and brown/red wires I got no reading at all on the ohm meter. I'm going to pull apart this weekend and find out for sure what the issue is.

Top Bottom