'95 ZRT 800 ballance shaft (is it nessasary?)

djkevin

Reaction score
I'm a lucky owner of a zrt 800 with a bad water pump. 4,500 miles. I've also found that you need to split the case to get the bad shaft bearing out. I'm thinking of using this engine in a snowmobile dragster. Here's my question, how well would it run without the balancer shaft? I'm thinking of using a electric coolant pump and blocking off the shaft hole. Seems like these engines are prone to problems with the shaft especially because of coolant leakage due to the way they seal.

I'm on a very limited budget and have wanted to build a snowmobile engine dragster for quite a while. Deciding on the sled to use was easy when my friend sold me his zrt 800 for $500. But now after researching this engine I'm wondering if I should find a different one. When I got it it screamed after I put a rebuilt stator on it. But I started getting coolant on the plugs and then the cloud of smoke...The bearing went and now I'm rebuilding the pump. (waiting for parts). My goal was to build the dragster using the complete drive system of the sled and possibly the steering too. Once built and proven then I would like to go to a big bore kit and other options. As money prevails.

Back to my 2 questions, how would it run without the shaft? And should I find another sled-what would you recommend? I'm looking for something easily modifiable and extremely high power.

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cutler makes a shaft to replace the balance shaft cheap fix you have to drive the water pump

Top Bottom