600cc exhaust put on a Summit Highmark 700. Is this a problem?

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bigger yes, smaller very touch and go. Altitude, distance (such as racing only) and if porting or anything else changed will play factors. But to just swap to a smaller pipe not a good idea.

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the muffler and pipe are designed to work together it's best to change both of them

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are not the same part number! Next time you contact jaws talk to Greg directly like I do. First off they will tell you that because the do not know what you are doing. Second my 700 has gregs head and shim kit plus it's ported by me! I put the 700 in a 04 600 chassis cause the 600 crank let go. I was running jaws twins on the zx sled but will not fit. I phoned Greg and asked if the 600 rev pipe will work. His answer was YES AND IT WILL LIKELY MAKE MORE Power!!!!so I did and it's been there for 5years and did make more power!!

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are not the same part number! Next time you contact jaws talk to Greg directly like I do. First off they will tell you that because the do not know what you are doing. Second my 700 has gregs head and shim kit plus it's ported by me! I put the 700 in a 04 600 chassis cause the 600 crank let go. I was running jaws twins on the zx sled but will not fit. I phoned Greg and asked if the 600 rev pipe will work. His answer was YES AND IT WILL LIKELY MAKE MORE Power!!!!so I did and it's been there for 5years and did make more power!!

First off I do know quite a bit. I've been dealing with Greg since '97. I actually speak or email him and Tania quite often. He's built lots of engines and pipes for me and my clients ove the years. I and my clients still hold records to this day. The one thing I like about Greg is he won't bull **** you. If it's going to work he'll tell you. Same thing if it's not going to work. Greg does a very unique cut to his heads, also adding a shim plate changes the port timing, so does porting the engine. This is totally different then simply swapping a 600 pipe onto a 700 engine. Sure if he does engine work it might work. Kind of like why high altitude pipes burn engines down in low altitude. Rev pipe is also different then the zx pipe.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Realistically the 700 from the zx and 600 ho from a Rev is so close to the same thing it's not funny

sent while drinking tea's

Last edited:

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Damn near identical ;)

One thing to also keep in mind is the '03 600 ho pipe has a different stinger size then 04 and up. The 03 was around 40mm dia with 2.5" inner stinger. 04-up was around 42mm dia with 3" inner stinger. 700 zx was close to 43mm dia. I think those numbers are close. Expansion chambers are different size and bends which affect also. It doesn't mean it will work or will not work. The only real way to know would be to try it but check piston wash at low, mid and wot to make sure not too lean, also make sure no detonation. The sled might make more power and feel more responsive but might burn down on a long pull/ lake run. Just because a set up worked or didn't work for one person, doesn't mean it will have same results for next person. Without head, shim and porting, its hard to say if it will work or not. Popcorns porting could be just a lil different then everyone else also which plays a big factor in pipes. Some folks get for example 210hp on a Prostock 800 triple and others get 230hp on Prostock 800 triple same pipes but porting or head cut is a lil different to get the extra. I've also taken crank shop pipes off of a sled and put jaws on and go a lot faster, also went slower in one case as well. Almost every combo works a lil differently each time.
Wasn't trying to sound like a Dick in last post popcorn. Now that I look at it it does look that way. My bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The pipe he has is a low altitude mxz pipe. He measured the outlet and its 47mm I have the original zx 700 pipe I said I would sell him cheap has the the same 47mm outlet. The cone length maybe slightly shorter for the 600 but other than racing at cold temps in a sea level lake I doubt there is a issue.

OVERKILL

Reaction score
I just got a hold of Ralph from Split Second Performance, and he said it should be fine running the 600 mxz pipe cause it does have the same i.d measurement into the muffler as the 700 one.

OVERKILL

Reaction score
I'd still like to phone Jaws Performance to get his opinion. But yeah its looking like the 600 exhaust that got put on my sled should be alright to run with. Thanks PP :)

Top Bottom