509 Carbon Helmet

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those of you that have this helmet, would you buy it again? Is it worth it over the standard Altitude? I left my old helmet too close to a heater, and it melted, so I'm going to buy a new helmet tomorrow, and am leaning towards this one. I really like the reduction in weight. Anything I can do to shave weight on my head is a bonus.

I ran the Altitude for the last 4 seasons, and its been great. Zero complaints. I'm just wondering if they are still decent, and if the carbon is worth the extra money over the standard helmet?

Last edited:

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been running an Altitude for a couple years. This fall I bought a 509 Carbon. I mainly wanted the quick buckle, as I'm really slow at buckling the old fashioned way and usually end up leaving it undone rather than getting left behind on the hill. The buckle seems pretty sweet, but I haven't used it on the hill yet. So far I am happy with it.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those of you that have this helmet, would you buy it again? Is it worth it over the standard Altitude? I left my old helmet too close to a heater, and it melted, so I'm going to buy a new helmet tomorrow, and am leaning towards this one.

I ran the Altitude for the last 4 seasons, and its been great. Zero complaints. I'm just wondering if they are still decent, and if the carbon is worth the extra money over the standard helmet?

I have the carbon and my daughter has the Altitude.
For the price and weight difference I would get the Altitude.
Don't have the specs but I swear they are the same weight or cabin even heavier.
Goggles fit good and both are good lids IMO.
I much prefer the ckx I have now over either of the 509.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been running an Altitude for a couple years. This fall I bought a 509 Carbon. I mainly wanted the quick buckle, as I'm really slow at buckling the old fashioned way and usually end up leaving it undone rather than getting left behind on the hill. The buckle seems pretty sweet, but I haven't used it on the hill yet. So far I am happy with it.
I'm really drawn to the fidlock as well. I played with it in the local dealer here, but they didn't have any selection so I'm going to check out a couple shops in the city tomorrow.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the carbon and my daughter has the Altitude.
For the price and weight difference I would get the Altitude.
Don't have the specs but I swear they are the same weight or cabin even heavier.
Goggles fit good and both are good lids IMO.
I much prefer the ckx I have now over either of the 509.

About 150grams different between the Altitude and Carbon. And I think the CKX is another 100 grams heavier than the Altitude.

I'm trying to save weight on my head. Neck gets sore by lunchtime.

I've been happy with my 509 good fit and good fit with the goggles like you mention. Going to have to feel them back to back to gauge the difference I think. About $150 difference in price if I recall.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Argyll for TOBE or Suomy. Martins has some TOBE too. not sure on Airoh? heard great things and it was light in my hands.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Argyll for TOBE or Suomy. Martins has some TOBE too. not sure on Airoh? heard great things and it was light in my hands.
Yeah, just looking at the specs, and it looks very light. Another 150+ grams lighter than the 509 Carbon. Coming up empty on local dealers though.

gunner3006

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I tried one of these buckets on my Mellon the other day. Running a klim right now but it’s days are numbered.

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the 509 Carbon and its been decent so far. Magnetic chin strap is decent but I like the FXR wratchet style strap better.

Oilboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have had the 509 carbon going on 5 seasons now and love it, would buy it again if I needed a replacement. would like the new magnetic clip though I never seem to do mine up

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
509 Carbon due to the Fidlock, alone. I always did up my helmet before, but this makes it so much easier and quicker and can do it with your gloves on. There's probable lighter helmets out there, but the Fidlock makes up for it... It's that good.

Top Bottom