5” of rain in 24hrs! The earth is angry!!

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My brother trucks shipping containers for CN and CP. They both have rerouted trains through Washington state to get to Vancouver. There will be no delays. The media will not report this.

It will be the same for the trucking as well I’m thinking.

JayT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well your brother really doesn't know then. Absolutely there is delays. The port terminals have shut down due to congestion and for the most part, zero rail is coming in.
Yep, it's going to get bad. I suggest everyone prepare accordingly. Was in contact with one of my suppliers tonight here they are already limiting the amount you can buy

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
My brother trucks shipping containers for CN and CP. They both have rerouted trains through Washington state to get to Vancouver. There will be no delays. The media will not report this.
No delays? There are trains parked in every siding between Edmonton and Vancouver. There will be delays. Even if they can route some stuff through WA it will still be way slower than normal.

LMLCHEVY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Apparently the coal from this area is being sent up to Rupert as much as they can take and the rest is on hot standby.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
No delays? There are trains parked in every siding between Edmonton and Vancouver. There will be delays. Even if they can route some stuff through WA it will still be way slower than normal.
Hadn’t been a train through Brooks in 5 days. Big change from 1 an hour.

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a couple friends ( engineers) that work for CPR here in Revelstoke , they are both at home doing their own projects . Nothing is moving through here . I have another friend ( helicopter pilot/ owner ) that is flying fuel for CPR out of Kamloops to Boston Bar for equipment working . Trains won’t be moving east or west until mid next week at the earliest .

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
.............. I have another friend ( helicopter pilot/ owner ) that is flying fuel for CPR out of Kamloops to Boston Bar for equipment working . Trains won’t be moving east or west until mid next week at the earliest .
I read that ^^^^^^ and wondered, how long can the train engines idle before requiring fuel?
I know the simple answer is until the fuel runs out!! But in reality, would that be an issue further down the line. Trains in the sidings would need to make air to keep the brakes functioning wouldn't they or would they physically shut the engines down and set the hand brakes?

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not
I have a couple friends ( engineers) that work for CPR here in Revelstoke , they are both at home doing their own projects . Nothing is moving through here . I have another friend ( helicopter pilot/ owner ) that is flying fuel for CPR out of Kamloops to Boston Bar for equipment working . Trains won’t be moving east or west until mid next week at the earliest .
Moving east or west? Port of prince rupert hasn't slowed down, neither has the rail or trucks. They are currently trying to get more ships into Stewart but this time of year can be extremely difficult for trucks. Yes things to the lower mainland will take more time but to say things aren't moving is completely fictional

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I read that ^^^^^^ and wondered, how long can the train engines idle before requiring fuel?
I know the simple answer is until the fuel runs out!! But in reality, would that be an issue further down the line. Trains in the sidings would need to make air to keep the brakes functioning wouldn't they or would they physically shut the engines down and set the hand brakes?
Im not a train Doctor, but for safety purposes Brakes are usually air Released and spring applied. That way they fail “safe”. Ie: applied. Could be wrong though. I have never worked on a locomotive.

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I retract that previous statement, I have actually worked on a locomotive before. I forgot about my stint at The pulp mill by Slave when I was filling in for a guy years back. Any who, carry on.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im not a train Doctor, but for safety purposes Brakes are usually air Released and spring applied. That way they fail “safe”. Ie: applied. Could be wrong though. I have never worked on a locomotive.
Brakes on a train are "air applied". They don't need engines running to keep the brakes on as they hold air, but if parked, need to have the manual brakes applied in case the air bleeds down. Done all the time.

Last edited:

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes trains work the opposite way semi trucks do, why I dunno, Air applied, so if a train runs out of air it has no brakes

JayT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes trains work the opposite way semi trucks do, why I dunno, Air applied, so if a train runs out of air it has no brakes
I believe the reason is because you need to be able to move cars around with a cable at loading stations. If they needed air to release the brakes nobody would be able to move their cars around as they load them without a locomotive

JayT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So then, the engines have to keep running to build air and keep pressure up? How long can the engines run on the fuel they carry?
You can go and lock all of the brakes on each car by hand, and then shut the engines off

Top Bottom