3000 lb winch problem

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Plowing snow today and suddenly the winch would not go in anymore however it still goes out. After a while it magically started working again, worked for a while and stopped again. I tried lightly hitting the controller near the right rear tire, but didn't seem to help.
Any thoughts on what could be wrong, all the wires seem to be tight, would it be the controller?? I seem to remember something similar happening to my '07 Can-Am as well, but forget what was wrong.
Help please..

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Plowing snow today and suddenly the winch would not go in anymore however it still goes out. After a while it magically started working again, worked for a while and stopped again. I tried lightly hitting the controller near the right rear tire, but didn't seem to help.
Any thoughts on what could be wrong, all the wires seem to be tight, would it be the controller?? I seem to remember something similar happening to my '07 Can-Am as well, but forget what was wrong.
Help please..

Sounds like the control to me, had a similar problem with the round style on my Yamaha Kodiak I had to replace it.

If you have the newer style toggle switches and it's a Warn they have a recall on them I believe, had the same thing happen on the wify's Cann Am.

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the control to me, had a similar problem with the round style on my Yamaha Kodiak I had to replace it.

If you have the newer style toggle switches and it's a Warn they have a recall on them I believe, had the same thing happen on the wify's Cann Am.

Can i get these controllers anywhere (auto parts store etc.) or are they only quad part, if so can i get one from a Kawasaki ,yamaha,honda dealer, or do i have to drive to a Can-Am dealer??
It is a Warn so i'll check on the recall thing.
Thanks Dale

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can i get these controllers anywhere (auto parts store etc.) or are they only quad part, if so can i get one from a Kawasaki ,yamaha,honda dealer, or do i have to drive to a Can-Am dealer??
It is a Warn so i'll check on the recall thing.
Thanks Dale

You can get the controller anywhere they sell winches so hit up an auto parts store or an atv dealer.

QMAO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hadster< if you contact Vinson on here with a pm, he knows of a place in Red Deer that had the contactor box for alot less than most dealerships

Last edited:

munhoez

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In a Dakota R/T, down by the South Sask. River
100 bucks at most dealers.
The recall was only on the contactor box.
Nothing on rocker switch itself.
Ur box is probly a little moist from last summer and now is freezing up and screwin it up. Or it has a lot of water damage in it(corrosion)

PS. Dale Dalueg= Best avatar or pic ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ur box is probly a little moist from last summer and now is freezing up and screwin it up. Or it has a lot of water damage in it(corrosion)

PS. Dale Dalueg= Best avatar or pic ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, that's Mike Many Numbers Wife in the photo.

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The recall was mostly for the 8 post contactor box installed from 2001 - 2005.
I called Warn headquarters today and told them the problem, they will send me the part UPS at no cost to me, no other questions asked. Or if i find a good dealer can pick it up from dealer for free and Warn will send the replacement to the dealer.
Warn will do this as long as it is less than 1 yr. old.
Also yes, Dale's pic is very nice......MMMmmm.

blaing

Reaction score
Hey Fellas

I was riding this weekend and when I started out my 2500 warn was working fine. After the first mudhole the "out" switch stopped working, I could free spool and pull in which was okay at that point. The next mud hole however the "in" stopped working as well. Sporadically throughout the day the "in" would engage but never the out. I am not getting any noise coming from the solenoids or the winch when I engage it. I have checked most of the connections that I could get to in the dark so I have to admit that I haven't excluded all of the connections yet but has anyone seen this problem and am I wasting time looking for lead problems and could it be a pooched motor.

Thanks

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Hey Fellas

I was riding this weekend and when I started out my 2500 warn was working fine. After the first mudhole the "out" switch stopped working, I could free spool and pull in which was okay at that point. The next mud hole however the "in" stopped working as well. Sporadically throughout the day the "in" would engage but never the out. I am not getting any noise coming from the solenoids or the winch when I engage it. I have checked most of the connections that I could get to in the dark so I have to admit that I haven't excluded all of the connections yet but has anyone seen this problem and am I wasting time looking for lead problems and could it be a pooched motor.

Thanks

pull that winch motor apart and clean it up!

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the wifes quad with a 2500rt winch [ the new style 4 post controler ] would go in but not out... i took the controler out and had one of the 2 wires signal broken inside [ wire broke right off the circuit board ] ... soldered it back on and its good to go....

Top Bottom