2024 Polaris

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ha ha ya I suppose… in 1995 I snowchecked my first new polaris, swapped track, rail extensions, reeds, pipes, etc I was into it for I think $9000. Reliability was just notch lower than todays sleds lol. I was making about 1/3 the pay I do now, worked my ass off to save enough to pay for it.

Last edited:

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For those of us who rode that old iron back in the day people nowadays really have no idea… somewhat entertaining to read the bellyaching and complaining about anything with current sleds or those who get their panties in a knot brand bashing about a pull cord or 5hp.

Ha ha ya I suppose… in 1995 I snowchecked my first new polaris, swappped track, rail extensions, reeds, pipes, etc I was into it for I think $9000. Reliability was just notch lower than todays sleds lol. I was making about 1/3 the pay I do now, worked my ass off to save enough to pay for it.

I remember when my friends and I rode decade old $hitbox 500s. We rode terrain that is laughable compared to now. Didn’t have to travel far. Relaxed and casual. Dare I say, it was almost more fun and rewarding.

Last edited by a moderator:

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how much power is needed to make the sled feel light cause let me tell ya i def feel the extra 50 pounds of my g5 turbo lol, mb once u hit 250hp it makes the sled feel like a burandt mod

Get a Sidewinder. Then you can also be part of the "the power makes it feel light" crew

Last edited by a moderator:

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
hate to break it to you but the polaris trail sleds use the same matryx chassis, there is no differences. As long as snowmobiles are manufactured at large volumes trail and mountain will always share the same chassis in all brands because thats what makes sense for the bean counters.
He is making fun of the steering and the torsion spring suspension. But I guess since Doo jams so much crap under the hood that they can't use vertical steering they need a saggy torsion spring rear skid so you can wheelie and keep the skis in the air to minimize the weeble wobble front end handling.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have bought multiple sets of ski rubbers and love my finger throttle lol.
Sure but have you crashed from your finger throttle being pinned in the trees? I know the gaurd works for a direct frontal hit but have you had the branches push between the gaurd and the flipper? I guess it all depends on the type of riding you do. I have only heard the stories and have seen the photos.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What year did Polaris start the snowcheck program?
I'm guessing in the very early 2000's or late 90's Randy? I think Doo started in 2001 with x package sleds and if memory serves me correct Polaris was the first to do that.

tundra twin track

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I remember when my friends and I rode decade old $hitbox 500s. We rode terrain that is laughable compared to now. Didn’t have to travel far. Relaxed and casual. Dare I say, it was almost more fun and rewarding.
I would say it was more rewarding,I was in that 500 class but was a full mod 488 Fan in a Indy Lite.Will never see that much terrain ever again,a few younger guys cannot believe the mountains that thing was on.

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
Sure but have you crashed from your finger throttle being pinned in the trees? I know the gaurd works for a direct frontal hit but have you had the branches push between the gaurd and the flipper? I guess it all depends on the type of riding you do. I have only heard the stories and have seen the photos.
I ride trees. Wrecked the throttle cable once, the odd braap from a tree but never got stuck wide open. I had way more issues with the factory throttles. They would ice up so bad the pin would freeze with the TSS thinking the throttle was applied and then the cable would stick wide open. I also religiously wear a Tether.

tripster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 2000 summit 700 highmark x was snow check only. The dealer in Chilliwack had every employee check one so he had extra inventory.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My first snowcheck was a 95 Vmax 4 and my dad snowchecked a 95 XLT that winter. Close to $10000 for the Vmax back then and the XLT was quite a bit less.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My uncle snow checked a 93 XLT 580. What I do miss is the beta test sleds (prototypes) that were released to dealers to sell to the public.
IMO the 2020.5 is kinda a beta sled thats released mid season.

Beta test sleds were sleds disguised as other models. For example when polaris released the Indy 500 during the 87-88 winter, it was disguised as a Indy 400.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tundra twin track

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it was 1995 snow checked a Polaris 600 XLT with an inch half track..........that think was bad and kick Skidoos asss ........some things just dont change!! .........
The first 94 Summit I seen on the mountain in early Dec had 400 Indy Skid installed by the owner of the Skidoo dealership.I quizzed him on it and his reply was he had made 2 trips previously with the stock skid,he said I’m not in to ch!t not working.The 96 summit was a real winner for Skidoo,I would call that there first Mountain Sled.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride trees. Wrecked the throttle cable once, the odd braap from a tree but never got stuck wide open. I had way more issues with the factory throttles. They would ice up so bad the pin would freeze with the TSS thinking the throttle was applied and then the cable would stick wide open. I also religiously wear a Tether.
I've been running a finger throttle for 4 seasons now. Lots of trees, and never an issue. If you hit the bars hard enough to pin a finger throttle wide open, even without a guard, you're going to do damage to your hand with a regular throttle.

Top Bottom