2024 Arctic Cat Catalyst

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
IMG_1159.jpeg

Got to check out a Catalyst today, I definitely have some concerns…

Intake screens are way too exposed, They’re right above the M on the side panel. They’re frog skins. Going through the trees they’re going to get punctured and ripped.

Headlight adjustment is really stupid. The whole headlight assembly is on a hinge, and there’s a spring and a screw behind the gauge that you set the angle. But you can still move the headlight up and compress the spring. So that whole thing is going to rattle apart. Or break that plastic where the screw goes in

The seat is basically a dirt bike seat stuck on a sled. It’s held on with a 1/4 turn at the back of the tank. And the front has the hook like a dirt bike. But it’s not secure like a dirt bike. Can flex and move too much I think it’ll get ripped off.

The side panel on the clutch side right there’s a pretty big venting hole, but the belt and secondary clutch are right there. I bet lots of wet belts and clutch slipping on deep days.

There’s literally no storage on the sled. There’s a tiny compartment that I would struggle to get a pair of goggles in. That’s it.

All this talk about upgrades to the suspension, the spindles are no taller, there is no extra clearance, the rear suspension is exactly the same. I was comparing the Catalyst to a brand new Riot both on the same truck. Everything was the same, ground clearance, suspension mounting, rear suspension arm lengths, lower ball joint heights.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think balanced weight( back to front) (side to side)is important though. Also top heavy weight ain’t great either. I’ve spent a fair amount of time balancing and lowering center of gravity on a nytro.

I’m suprised the turbo doo handles very well with where its weight is located. Fairly high. But a trade off for a turbo system that doesn’t have to move air far. Helps lag.

The Catalyst is going to handle great. Also when they finally turbo it.
It will be a compact unit with the exhaust and intake both coming out the front. Also can keep the turbo weight close to the center of chassis and low I’m thinking.

Last edited:

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
View attachment 276140
Got to check out a Catalyst today, I definitely have some concerns…

Intake screens are way too exposed, They’re right above the M on the side panel. They’re frog skins. Going through the trees they’re going to get punctured and ripped.

Headlight adjustment is really stupid. The whole headlight assembly is on a hinge, and there’s a spring and a screw behind the gauge that you set the angle. But you can still move the headlight up and compress the spring. So that whole thing is going to rattle apart. Or break that plastic where the screw goes in

The seat is basically a dirt bike seat stuck on a sled. It’s held on with a 1/4 turn at the back of the tank. And the front has the hook like a dirt bike. But it’s not secure like a dirt bike. Can flex and move too much I think it’ll get ripped off.

The side panel on the clutch side right there’s a pretty big venting hole, but the belt and secondary clutch are right there. I bet lots of wet belts and clutch slipping on deep days.

There’s literally no storage on the sled. There’s a tiny compartment that I would struggle to get a pair of goggles in. That’s it.

All this talk about upgrades to the suspension, the spindles are no taller, there is no extra clearance, the rear suspension is exactly the same. I was comparing the Catalyst to a brand new Riot both on the same truck. Everything was the same, ground clearance, suspension mounting, rear suspension arm lengths, lower ball joint heights.

So essentially it’s like a doo g5, no storage, dirt bike seat that moves around, intake screens that easily puncture and clutch cover that will easily let snow in…… different on the doo as that’s another screen that will rip off or puncture. Seems ok, best selling sled at the moment is the g5 lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So essentially it’s like a doo g5, no storage, dirt bike seat that moves around, intake screens that easily puncture and clutch cover that will easily let snow in…… different on the doo as that’s another screen that will rip off or puncture. Seems ok, best selling sled at the moment is the g5 lol

G5 doesnt come with a 600 NA though.....

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
G5 doesnt come with a 600 NA though.....

This is true, but I’m speaking more as to ippies complaints about the chassis. Slap a real motor in there and it will be just fine, I could definitely see early release 858’s rolling around come spring

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is true, but I’m speaking more as to ippies complaints about the chassis. Slap a real motor in there and it will be just fine, I could definitely see early release 858’s rolling around come spring

Ya next year they "might" be a contender.

For now, not so much.

Levithan

Reaction score
skidoo will release a 859 next year and put the last nail in the coffin for cat…
Lol, doo ain't puttin the nail in anything but it's own coffin, for all the crap breaking and recalls over the past few years. Pretty sure people are a little po'd about breakage and stop ride recalls on poo's and doo's. We'll see but, cat has never been one for stop ride recalls.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol, doo ain't puttin the nail in anything but it's own coffin, for all the crap breaking and recalls over the past few years. Pretty sure people are a little po'd about breakage and stop ride recalls on poo's and doo's. We'll see but, cat has never been one for stop ride recalls.
Cat left a bad taste in my mouth having to eat the cost of clutches on my Ascenders. One year factory warranty on spring order sleds, and clutches going bad in the second season. I replaced 3 between 2 sleds, and the kids that bought one is looking for a new one now.

Then there's the Alpha rail that seems to fall apart if looked at wrong. I was lucky enough but to have issues there, but there's been plenty.

Cat has had no shortage of issues despite their miniscule market share.

Truth be told, nothing lasts these days. Sleds, UTVs, cars and trucks, appliances. It's all built cheap to make a profit for shareholders.

Levithan

Reaction score
I’ve rode lots of 600’s on the prairies, very capable, very fast… however a 600 (don’t care who’s) and my fat a$$ plus gear isn’t getting to far off the beatin path in the mountains.
Not talking about prairie short track 600's geared for speed( you said fast, that's how i know the 600 you rode must have been a trail sled, mountain sleds are not geared for speed). I'm near 200 pounds plus gear and was in renshaw last year in feb just when they got several feet of fresh. Was untouched over the bar pow when we got up to the cabin at 8am, had no issues with the 600 that day.
My buddies who all had there 800s where very impressed at the 600 and where it went. You have to ride one as a test in the mountains before you hate, otherwise your just talkin ch!t.
Agreed the 858 will be the sled most buy, it will be better at high marking and digging a bigger trench when not ridden correctly.
The 600 is a point and full throttle sled, making it much easier for guys to get out to the mountains and learn throttle control, also good for the younger generation and older alike when you don't want to have to vary the throttle in given situations to avoid trenching out.

Levithan

Reaction score
Cat left a bad taste in my mouth having to eat the cost of clutches on my Ascenders. One year factory warranty on spring order sleds, and clutches going bad in the second season. I replaced 3 between 2 sleds, and the kids that bought one is looking for a new one now.

Then there's the Alpha rail that seems to fall apart if looked at wrong. I was lucky enough but to have issues there, but there's been plenty.

Cat has had no shortage of issues despite their miniscule market share.

Truth be told, nothing lasts these days. Sleds, UTVs, cars and trucks, appliances. It's all built cheap to make a profit for shareholders.
Tiz true that nothing lasts, if it did, why would we ever buy new. Planned obsolescence. Find the guys that do drops, tail lands, 80kmhr down a whooped out trail are the guys that have issues with the rail. Put a brace on and a few other key pieces as upgrades and you'll be good. We do this to mod all our sleds out there in various places of weakness so what's different about the rail. The clutch issues were recalled for at least one or two years that i know of and was a team issue on cat sleds not a cat issue. This was not a cat produced part.

Top Bottom