2024 Arctic Cat Catalyst

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it's going to be a great sled if they offer a twin trail. I spent 4 seasons on an Alpha and 6 seasons before that mountain riding Cat, and when I switched to Doo my studying abilities progressed significantly. I probably learned a lot of control trying to keep that Alpha pointed where I wanted. It's just too bad the dealer network has shrunk so much here in Canada. That

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it's going to be a great sled if they offer a twin trail. I spent 4 seasons on an Alpha and 6 seasons before that mountain riding Cat, and when I switched to Doo my studying abilities progressed significantly. I probably learned a lot of control trying to keep that Alpha pointed where I wanted. It's just too bad the dealer network has shrunk so much here in Canada. That

I understand the twin rail is going to be an option going forward

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My take on the Alpha rail is that it accomplished one of their goals - a sled that is easy to maneuver. The downside of that is that it's easy to maneuver. You have to ride them aggressively all the time to stay in control. Extremely easy to steer, but even easier to over steer.

It was a great trial of engineering, but ultimately it doesn't work exceptionally well for 90+% of riders.

Perhaps the additional changes the catalyst introduces will change that, but the twin rail design gives the best control in my limited experience.

There's a lot the cat did right in my opinion. The short cooler design, the traction provided by the 3.5" pitch powerclaw track being two of the biggest.

I can agree with the others in their opinion that an Alpha can put a beating on an 850, and stay close to the turbos. But on the flipside of that I find riding a g4 turbo to be a far more consistently good experience in both handling and power, and I suspect moving to a g5 will take that up yet another notch.

Here's hoping cat stays relevant in the game and keeps driving the others to be better.

Levithan

Reaction score
My take on the Alpha rail is that it accomplished one of their goals - a sled that is easy to maneuver. The downside of that is that it's easy to maneuver. You have to ride them aggressively all the time to stay in control. Extremely easy to steer, but even easier to over steer.

It was a great trial of engineering, but ultimately it doesn't work exceptionally well for 90+% of riders.

Perhaps the additional changes the catalyst introduces will change that, but the twin rail design gives the best control in my limited experience.

There's a lot the cat did right in my opinion. The short cooler design, the traction provided by the 3.5" pitch powerclaw track being two of the biggest.

I can agree with the others in their opinion that an Alpha can put a beating on an 850, and stay close to the turbos. But on the flipside of that I find riding a g4 turbo to be a far more consistently good experience in both handling and power, and I suspect moving to a g5 will take that up yet another notch.

Here's hoping cat stays relevant in the game and keeps driving the others to be better.
Disagree with the riding having to be aggressive. You need to be less aggressive and more consistent on an alpha. My son got one last year and he says it is easier to ride than his previous cat twin rail. I also rode his sled as did two buddies and they felt the same way. If you ride it aggressively like you had to on other machines that are harder to pull around then yes you get oversteer. I think cat should offer both skids to get an even broader customer base as some people are scared of the alpha, weather it be reliability or tipsiness.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Disagree with the riding having to be aggressive. You need to be less aggressive and more consistent on an alpha. My son got one last year and he says it is easier to ride than his previous cat twin rail. I also rode his sled as did two buddies and they felt the same way. If you ride it aggressively like you had to on other machines that are harder to pull around then yes you get oversteer. I think cat should offer both skids to get an even broader customer base as some people are scared of the alpha, weather it be reliability or tipsiness.
My problem with the Alpha was primarily external inputs. It would get tossed around a lot depending on what was under the snow, and it was very sensitive to where you are positioned on the machine. Riding aggressively, or maybe better put - reacting quickly, it could be kept in check with minimal rider inputs, but it took more effort than other machines. If that at all makes sense. It could change direction like nothing else out there though. So it's not a complete failure by any means.

My wife is a great example. The machine would toss her all over the place. The number of times I had to roll her machine over on flat ground was mind boggling. Hit a rut or something, and over she would go. Put her on a Doo in the same conditions and we could travel twice as fast, as she uses far less energy trying to stay upright. She is the opposite of an aggressive rider, and the Alpha kicks her butt. My buddies wife has a 600 Alpha, and I watch her struggle with the same things. I put her on my kids 600 gen4 and watched her ride significantly better.

So in short, if you are a rider that reacts quickly them the Alpha can be a great platform. I agree, having both options will benefit then in the long run.

The changes they have come out with are in the right direction. Garmin gauge with group tracking, factory belt drive, the 858 seems to be a promising power plant, overall weight reductions. They are moving in the right direction no doubt, and it benefits us all. It's too bad it took this long. I really think Textron killed their soul and Cat became a corporate machine which stalled progression for the last 7+years

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I definitely think Cat is driving customers away without a twin rail option, a number of people are scared of the Alpha rail for various reasons from durability to riding style and they are more comfortable buying a traditional twin rail sled.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My problem with the Alpha was primarily external inputs. It would get tossed around a lot depending on what was under the snow, and it was very sensitive to where you are positioned on the machine. Riding aggressively, or maybe better put - reacting quickly, it could be kept in check with minimal rider inputs, but it took more effort than other machines. If that at all makes sense. It could change direction like nothing else out there though. So it's not a complete failure by any means.

My wife is a great example. The machine would toss her all over the place. The number of times I had to roll her machine over on flat ground was mind boggling. Hit a rut or something, and over she would go. Put her on a Doo in the same conditions and we could travel twice as fast, as she uses far less energy trying to stay upright. She is the opposite of an aggressive rider, and the Alpha kicks her butt. My buddies wife has a 600 Alpha, and I watch her struggle with the same things. I put her on my kids 600 gen4 and watched her ride significantly better.

So in short, if you are a rider that reacts quickly them the Alpha can be a great platform. I agree, having both options will benefit then in the long run.

The changes they have come out with are in the right direction. Garmin gauge with group tracking, factory belt drive, the 858 seems to be a promising power plant, overall weight reductions. They are moving in the right direction no doubt, and it benefits us all. It's too bad it took this long. I really think Textron killed their soul and Cat became a corporate machine which stalled progression for the last 7+years
I think you basically nail it here. You don't need to ride the sled aggressively but you need to be 'on' at all times. It's not a sled you can sit down on to give your legs a break after poking a line while you cruise back down the slope or floating through some flats. It has a tendency for the front end to dive unexpectedly if you are not actively riding it on pretty well everything but a groomed trail.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think you basically nail it here. You don't need to ride the sled aggressively but you need to be 'on' at all times. It's not a sled you can sit down on to give your legs a break after poking a line while you cruise back down the slope or floating through some flats. It has a tendency for the front end to dive unexpectedly if you are not actively riding it on pretty well everything but a groomed trail.
Bingo.

It can handle like a mf'er though if you're on it.

Sessionsdoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One at the hotel today. Missed the sled show here in town yesterday

Attachments

• 20231030_175442.jpg
    20231030_175442.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 131

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.

I agree 100%. It's the same thing with the Polaris especially Khaos, which Cat has a very similar front shock length to. They are great in gnarville when you have to be on it. It sucks when you just want to sit on the seat and steer. The Cat and Poo chassis you have to ride. Small gentle slope you just want to steer and drive across, nope it will roll down the hill as soon as you turn the skis up the hill. You have to be standing on uphill board and/or be on edge. Want to just steer around that tree in deep snow, nope it will go straight into that tree well. You need to be wrong foot, counter steer and commit to doing a zero turn.

The Doo chassis will go where you steer it for the most part. I can see why some people prefer them, they are intuitive too just ride a round, which is what many people want and new or less aggressive riders want. There are no lazy days on an Alpha or Khaos.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If they put a turbo on the 858 and give a twin rail option I’ll be on one when my warranty runs out on my turbo r. So 2027 model year is their deadline to get it done lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
People never really thought about it. How many times over the years have people said their sled was running good today, or jeez I need to add to my clickers it's over reving today, or on the flip side can't pull rpm on a low pressure day or feels like it doesn't have power. Theoretically the factory turbos should be the same all the time. But on certain days my high compression 9R might just out perform a factory turbo. But Fernie Trees are so tight you can't really stretch the legs on a turbo so I am NA. If I rode bigger country I would be on a turbo. Not all terrain is turbo terrain.
I would say that we have noticed this throughout the years. Our sleds always seem to be a little more boggy in mcbride areas, mainly renshaw.

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mentioned a few times here is that lots of guys left cat when they had to wait weeks for any parts, myself included. I couldn't stand how nothing was ever in stock, I didn't mind driving to Wetaskiwin for parts or just stop on the way to the mountains. But then you are always wrenching in the hotel/parking lot. I hope they fix that and I would consider one for next year as well

Rjjtcross8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mentioned a few times here is that lots of guys left cat when they had to wait weeks for any parts, myself included. I couldn't stand how nothing was ever in stock, I didn't mind driving to Wetaskiwin for parts or just stop on the way to the mountains. But then you are always wrenching in the hotel/parking lot. I hope they fix that and I would consider one for next year as well
I certainly agree to this. Even if the new Catalyst is successful in sales, the corresponding parts support is still in question. I Also have my doubts on the dealer network growing back to previous levels, good sled sales are one thing but It is also clear that textrons Atv and Utvs lost favour over the years making it tougher year round for the dealers. The sled on the other hand with the 858 looks promising.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I certainly agree to this. Even if the new Catalyst is successful in sales, the corresponding parts support is still in question. I Also have my doubts on the dealer network growing back to previous levels, good sled sales are one thing but It is also clear that textrons Atv and Utvs lost favour over the years making it tougher year round for the dealers. The sled on the other hand with the 858 looks promising.

I had a good chat at the sled show with the Cat area sales rep (believe it was Shaun..?). I mentioned how difficult it was going to be for them to expect any reasonable market share gains with disastrous dealer network they have left (especially in southern AB). He was definitely keeping his chin up and trying to portray optimism, but he ultimately relented that it was going to take time to “rebuild” their presence in western Canada. I hope things work out even half as good as his vision of the future. Although, his comments left me less than impressed, he figured that a customer shouldn’t have to drive more than 1.5 hrs to reach their closest dealer. My math places each dealer 3hrs apart…?! So I asked him what his thoughts were about Ralph’s being the sole dealer in the Calgary area, a city of >1.5MM people. Add to that by Ralph’s picking up their competitors products. I’m not convinced they will gain any traction.
He really didn’t have a good answer….

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a good chat at the sled show with the Cat area sales rep (believe it was Shaun..?). I mentioned how difficult it was going to be for them to expect any reasonable market share gains with disastrous dealer network they have left (especially in southern AB). He was definitely keeping his chin up and trying to portray optimism, but he ultimately relented that it was going to take time to “rebuild” their presence in western Canada. I hope things work out even half as good as his vision of the future. Although, his comments left me less than impressed, he figured that a customer shouldn’t have to drive more than 1.5 hrs to reach their closest dealer. My math places each dealer 3hrs apart…?! So I asked him what his thoughts were about Ralph’s being the sole dealer in the Calgary area, a city of >1.5MM people. Add to that by Ralph’s picking up their competitors products. I’m not convinced they will gain any traction.
He really didn’t have a good answer….
I live in Edmonton. I have to go to barhead for service on my wildcat XX. Pain in the ass to say the least. One good thing is Cc Cycle lets me leave my trailer so I can drive home empty drive back, empty and pick it up.

mountianguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If they put a turbo on the 858 and give a twin rail option I’ll be on one when my warranty runs out on my turbo r. So 2027 model year is their deadline to get it done lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am thinking the turbo will be ready by then. But for the twin rail I want to ride the Catalyst with the Alpha first and see how it reacts. Maybe for a turbo you will need the twin rail as the Alpha track may not stand up to the power. Unless they modify the Alpha track I don’t know if I want to give up the extra traction by going back to the old powerclaw.

Top Bottom